Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntsc games b&w playback

Options
  • 01-01-2005 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

im trying to explain to a guy about when you have say a ps2 game or a dvd movie
    and the signal is ntsc ie, american
    it plays in black and white on his tv.
    does anyone ever get this problem?
    my tv has an option to pal 50 htz or ntsc 60 hts.
    i think 50 htz it is pure pal and pal 60 hts
    is a conversion to pal from another source
    theres pal europe australia
    ntsc america
    anf theres ntsc j japan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

if you have a modchip you can download a small iso and burn it on to cd, that changes the signal from ntsc to pal and then insert your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EADCYCLO

I get games off a mate of mine from Tallaght for €10 for my ps2 (ntsc) and they all work fine, I got myself a 3 pin (standard Irish pulg) cable with the figure 8 end in maplin for €4.99 I also got a RGB lead to scart converter and everything is a ok now. :)

[edit]

Oh yeah and he chipped it 4 me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Use an RGB SCART lead to get rid of the b/w problem. But due to copyright issues NTSC DVDs may not play in RGB or they might show up all green. You can simply cut one of the pins to remedy this. Which pin I'm not sure, but that problem can be bypassed, to my knowledge.

And EADCYCLO, of course your games work on any PS2; they're patched to work on any PS2 because they're pirate copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,341 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

combs wrote:
    Use an RGB SCART lead to get rid of the b/w problem. But due to copyright issues NTSC DVDs may not play in RGB or they might show up all green. You can simply cut one of the pins to remedy this. Which pin I'm not sure, but that problem can be bypassed, to my knowledge.

where can 1 get these RGB SCART lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Game or any retail shop should sell them. Just make sure it a fully wired scart lead(should say it on the box).

Yeah, make sure it says RGB. Some SCART leads are SCART shaped but have no Red, Green and Blue connections, just composite, which is what's giving you black and white and confusing your telly, not to mention producing a very grainy picture as well.

And the Yellow with White and Red audio connections plugged into a SCART adaptor will not give you a proper RGB picture either. It's just composite again.

Most people still use the cables they get with a PS2 / XBox / Gamecube, and don't realize the benefits of RGB.

combs wrote:
    Yeah, make sure it says RGB. Some SCART leads are SCART shaped but have no Red, Green and Blue connections, just composite, which is what's giving you black and white and confusing your telly, not to mention producing a very grainy picture as well.

And the Yellow with White and Red audio connections plugged into a SCART adaptor will not give you a proper RGB picture either. It's just composite again.

Most people still use the cables they get with a PS2 / XBox / Gamecube, and don't realize the benefits of RGB.
    once i get this RGB lead it will sort my problem out
    the problem is that i got copy of metal gear solid 3 and its in black and white i know its not the game its the tv
    so this RGB lead will sort me out right... any 1 give me a link to see way the RGB leads look like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

try typing into google "PS2 RGB cable"

elvis2002 wrote:
    try typing into google "PS2 RGB cable"

thanks mate i should have known that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Placebo wrote:
    if you have a modchip you can download a small iso and burn it on to cd, that changes the signal from ntsc to pal and then insert your game.

Nope, ntsc and pal video signals are hard-coded into games, it can unlock the consoles region lock, but can't touch the video signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EADCYCLO

combs wrote:
    And EADCYCLO, of course your games work on any PS2; they're patched to work on any PS2 because they're pirate copies.

Not all the games i have are pirate copies and which, also work with no problems.

Also you'd have to have a ps2 chipped to play pirate copies in the first place, so my games wouldn't work on any ps2.................

i rang the nearest game shop gamestop and they told me they have a
    RS adaptor will that help me play ntsc

If you can get the NTSC games to start and play at all on your PS2 then all you need is the RGB SCART lead. They should display in colour and give you the best picture quality on your TV. I don't know what an RS adaptor is and it might make the games display in colour but you're far better off with an RGB SCART cable. Ask Gamestop about an RGB SCART cable for your PS2.

Any game from any region will display in RGB, with the exception of some NTSC DVD films, which are designed not to, due to copyright issues. But I think there's a way around that too.

can you guys post a pc of this RGB scart , far as i knew

NTSC GAME + PAL TV = B/W OR COLOR/Y - not fixed

Y - not fixed = not full screen, only quatre of screen is displayed.
    Thats why ive been using this CD that changes modes and its a pain and not all games are compatible.
    I must look into this RGB scart thing.

also i have a PAL - NTSC little external adapter thing and that just shows the color = too sharp, yellowish = crappy.

right i was told on the phone its a rs adaptor i need quess what no such thing i went in and found out its a rf adaptor the fella got the name wrong
    i told him will it work he said probly bought it home and quess what i doesnt
    whats is a rf adaptor for

and Placebo what cd can i burn alchol 120 on what cd will be ok for my ps2
    maxell SQ cd-r 80SQ 700mb=this is the disk i have right now

will the above disk do [its the only disk i have right now]

im going to get them in ireland ill try getting them in limerick
    how bad is tipperary when you cant get a simple thing like RGB cable went to clonmel i didnt have a chance

gamestop=rip off store

i finally got the RGB lead

got the RGB scart cable it isnt working my american game aka metal gear solid snake eater is still in black and white and then when i switch the switch is the in green colour whats wrong

is it my tv or what

my ps2 is chipped by the way

• Advertisement

snoopdog wrote:
    got the RGB scart cable it isnt working my american game aka metal gear solid snake eater is still in black and white and then when i switch the switch is the in green colour whats wrong
    There's a switch on the RGB cable? If so, then I'm assuming it switches between composite and RGB, and when you switch to RGB it goes green, yes?

People here have the same problem:
    http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/archive/index.php/t-33014.html

I think what's wrong is Sony have started making games with an RGB lockout. SEGA did this with a few Japanese Dreamcast games, like Vampire Chronicle. This is a bitch, and there isn't much you can do about it apart from copying the game and patching it with RGB support, then playing it on a modded PS2! I'm sure some people know how to do this but I'm not into copying games and all that stuff.

Sorry to make you go to the expense of getting the RGB cable just to find you're still getting a green screen. It should be fine for games that aren't locked for RGB though. I'll investigate this further just to be sure it's Sony's fault.

PAL Snake Eater should work in RGB.

That said, a newer TV, especially an expensive 32", will play in colour in composite mode, because they're designed to understand NTSC colour encoding as well as PAL. So if you really really want this game in colour you could get a new TV! The picture quality will be the usual washed-out and grainy composite picture, but it will be in colour.

For the benefit of the gaming community, the solution to this problem turned out to be:

"Change your RGB output from Y-Cr-Cb (component) to RGB in the Options menu."

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Is your TV NTSC compatible? I had the same problem with an american DVD player. Try testing it on a different TV. Most modern TVs are NTSC compatible but you might just have one that isnt. Hope this helps.

Advertisement