Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most unnecessary pain you've ever had!?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

There were a few other occasions that I remember that were pretty unecessary too, I shall put them all in the one thread to save time and effort...

I remember when my dad was feeling creative, he actually made myself and my brother bunkbeds. At this time I had been making noise about having my own bedroom as up until that stage I had shared the room with my younger brother. Anyway, to cut a long story short, what happened was dad made us both bunk beds with tables underneath so that we had somewhere to do our homework too (because he was considerate like that).

I had begged and begged to get sleeping in my new room and in my new bed. The parents eventually gave in after all my pestering and I went to bed all excited in my new bunk bed.

All was fine that night, until that is I eventually was falling asleep, I rolled over and THUD found myself on the couch gasping for breath and crying uncontrollably... The safety bar to prevent me rolling out of bed had yet to be purchased, let alone put in place. My dad hadn't the chance to get the bar at this stage, but because I had been constantly whining about wanting to sleep in the bed he had eventually given in. It was my own stupidity and impatience that got me in trouble really.

My nose was particularly uncomfortable over the next fortnight as there was clotted blood every time I went to blow my nose. Again, no broken bones or anything of the like.

Then there was the time when the pipes in our hallway had burst and the concrete floor had been dug up. Again, I was only young at the time and I was in dire need to use the toilet, so instead of taking my time and stepping over where the carpet was all rolled up (so that the workmen could get at the pipes below having dug up the concrete around the area) I decided I would jump it and save some time. The only thing was, I didn't jump high enough and caught my foot on the edge of the carpet. I floundered onto one of the jagged edges where the concrete had been dug up to get at the pipes.

Much screaming ensued as I lay there with blood oozing out of my knee. My dad and brother raced out into the hallway thinking I had been shot or something the amount of noise I was making. Went to the hospital and got three stitches put in my knee. There is a small scar on my right knee from that one.

Another time, when I was working with horses, I was bringing a young horse in from a very boggy field, the horse in question got a fright when I was leading her into the yard as my friend ran in to see what was taking too long. The horse being the frightened creature that she was, took fright at hearing my friend running towards us but not seeing her reared up and landed full force on my foot. I yelled out in pain and my face was immediately drained of colour. I handed my friend the horse and hobbled over to sit down trying to get rid of the immense pain in my foot. Hobbled about on the foot for the next month and a half until I went home for Christmas, I showed my mother my foot (which was still kinda bruised looking even after all that time) and spent christmas and New Years on crutches. Having found nothing broken on the x-rays, the doctor had put me on crutches just to be on the safe side.

And finally, when I was 22, I was at home watching something on television. My mother asked me to turn off immersion for her. There was a music video that I wanted to see coming on just as I was asked, so I raced into the hallway to do so befire the video came on. I should add that our hallway is mostly straight, bar when you just go out the sitting room door, where there is one turn to the right to be made. In my haste, I tried cutting this corner and smacked my little toe off the corner of the wall. I bit my lip to stop from crying out as I turned off the water and then hobbled back into the sitting room.

I look down at my sock and see that the top of it is turning red, when I took the sock off I saw that the toe was bleeding and as I had heard an unmerciful crunching sound when my toe made impact with the wall, I hobbled into the kitchen to seek help as to what I should do. I really just panicked as I couldn't actually BEAR to put any weight on the foot for an hour after the event had happened. In the end I put a plaster on the toe and had to take an extra fortnight of a holiday from work (it's an advantage to be able to walk whilst working with horses).

Looking back on the whole lot, I was kinda accident prone, nothing has really happened me since then (thank God!!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

when i was a kid we were building a halloween bonfire, a guy tried to throw a plank of wood with nails in it on top of the bonfire, but it went over the other side to were i was standing and stabbed me in the head... :(

or getting a scooter thrown at me, causing me to fall off a wall and split my head open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

at 3, i smacked my forehead on a radiator. still have a small dent there.

at 6, i jumped off a couch and bit my toungue. blood gushing everywhere. still have a V-shaped scar on it.

for some bizarre reason, my parents only took me to the hospital for the first one even though it was way less serious. wierdos... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

PunK05 wrote:
    when i was a kid we were building a halloween bonfire, a guy tried to throw a plank of wood with nails in it on top of the bonfire, but it went over the other side to were i was standing and stabbed me in the head... :(

that explains a lot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Stark wrote:
    The worst pain I can remember was testicular torsion, owww....

Is that the one where the vein, artery and sperm duct going into your balls get tangled in each other?

The one that produces the most pain known to man apart for those stones in your ass (kidney stones or gall stones or something...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes, and oh god thanks for making the memories more vivid :eek:. I remember the testicle doubling in size and turning red purple in colour :eek: Still twists a little sometimes, I'd be sitting down in a seat and suddenly I'd have to jump up and do an emergency rearrange before it twists any more. I've heard sometimes the doctors actually sew someone's testicles into their scrotum to stop that happening, talk about the cure being as bad as the disease! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

9 years old, tripped falling head first into a radiator, splitting forehead open.
    didnt really even hurt, was just all the blood that scared me. Got stitches.

7 years old, pencil war in school, stabbed in my pinky finger...still have the lead in my finger which you can plainly see.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Was 3, loosened a screw of the mowing bar, it falls on my head.
    25 stitches just on the hairline of my head, and 17 years later still have a bump on the back of my head.
    that was probably the worst, with letting hedge clippers fall into my knee coming second....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

One day I was going to the shops and it was raining, so I decided to run. I slipped on some mud and skidding legs apart into a pole. My testical turned purple and I cut up my leg. I also got my ass all wet and muddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

On Christmas Day, two people pulled a Christmas cracker in front of me, and the f'ing key-ring inside (shaped like a sun with spikes sticking out) hit me in the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

When I was about 4 I fell under a gate which busted open the ridgey part on the right hand side of my right eye. That was pretty bloody sore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

When I was 12 I had a fair amount of sand in my eye for 3 days, tears flowing nearly constantly. Wow, that was bad, my eye was like totally red by the end of it. Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

When i was maybe 13/14 i cycled under a goal posts and jumped up to grab the cross bar. When my body swung out my hands slipped, the bar was wet.

When i landed my right arm someone was behind my back and i landed horizontally. The force of it broke my shoulder bone, or something in the sholuder socket. Not my collar bone.

Anyway, the worst was later when i was asleep. The xrays showed it was broken but it couldn't be casted. So you know when you are dreaming and you move... we several times i woke up in agony after moving my broken bone...

Not cool. Still hurts sometimes now and its 12 years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭the cat

When i was 4 my bro broke my collarbone and when i was 10 I cut my finger off after I slammed a door :( then last year i fell off a chair on to tiles and ended up with a huge bubble on my leg :mad: and when i was skateboarding i fell...down some steps... never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

When I was about 3/4 I was playing outside my house. It was a windy day and I was holding onto the door frame when the front door slammed into my middle finger. Blood gushing, had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Still have the scar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

When I was nearly 30 - too fast on a scooter - wearing t-shirt, bermuda shorts -scrape along gravel road for 30 minutes (it only seemed like it - more like 20 sec).

That wasn't really that painful though!

The pain was having a nurse squeeze out the puss from each wound a week later - two weeks later - it lasted about 6 weeks! :eek: That was agony each time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I recently damaged my medial ligament and slightly tore my hamstring in my left knee during training. Now that wasn't unnecessary pain, but the things I've done to myself since during recuperation definitely are.

I've forgotten on occasion that my range of motion is limited and I try to bend my knee as usual. The damn thing then locks into place and it's the most extreme pain I've ever felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Jumping on a bed as a child and bursting my head off shelving above it still have a liitle bald patch on me head or having broken or dis;ocated both my ankles on different occasions. Breaking four fingers too now thats a killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

God almighty all of your past experiences make my spine shiver when reading about them!
    Especially the fool who wanted to dislocate his shoulder just to see how painfull it was,abit too much Mel Gibson in Letal Weapon i think?.

Was seven or eight myself when i got finger slammed in door hence i got a Black nail but it got infected some how and was up in Our Ladys in crumlin and nurse got a needle which was red at the tip due to heating it up then slowly screwed it into the black nail :eek: it lifted up in air but the pain of it as she slowly screwed it in....She then scraped out all the puss YUK!

not as bad as others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - I can't compare to Testicular Torsion (thankfully) - but accidents aside - the most unnecessary pain I've had was having a spot on my neck, the size of a squashed tennis ball, surgically removed. Lying face down on a pillow while the spot is knifed - watching rivers of yellow puss pass down onto the pillow....

Most pain though had to be the 2 weeks before my dual root canal - one root canal on either side of my mouth - so there was nowhere in your mouth that wasn't flaming with pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Noticing that one hair on my scrotum was distinctly longer that the rest, I decided to pluck it. What I didn't realise was the hair follicle was blocked / infected, resulting in my right testicle suffering whiplash as it is first pulled in one direction and then recoils in the other :eek: :o:confused:

Stange the way your body tells you something is wrong, but then takes 3 seconds to tell you it's your testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Took a hit from a bong once that made me cough up a lung, my eye went ****ed up and felt something similar to that scene from the simpsons where homers grease pipe chockes him and his eye pops out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'll do this in bullet points:
    -Aged 7
    -Toilet
    -Zipper
    -Willy
    -Ouch

'nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

once i had to get dried blood removed from my eardrum with something i would liken to a metalwork scriber doesnt sound like much but the pain the pain

Advertisement