Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why dont they break rocks?

• 01-01-2005 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

After reading the Dunne thread, several others on "scumbags" over my time in After Hours, Ive been thinking(yeah, dangerous, I know); part of the tax we pay goes to keeping these scum in food and clothing whilst they watch tv and do leaving cert courses*. My question is, why dont we have chain gangs? They took away from society, now they get to give back. Make them break rocks, clean roads, **** work, whatever, but they should at least contribute to their keep. If you leave em in there all their going to do is learn from more experienced criminals, I bet 4 years in the Joy is equivalent to Masters in being an uber-scumbag. Keep em busy with hard labour for 4 years, and they most definately will think harder the next time they feel the desire to commit a crime.

Opinions?

Regards

Ewan

*I think. I could be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

How often is your newsletter published? I'll probably subscribe... :D Nice Idea

And if they worked shiftwork, cells could be used by more inmates. While one is working on the chain gang (or whatever), another could be sleeping.

But you'd probably get some liberal pressure group saying that it's inhumane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah that's exactly what you want... hardened criminals who're not only pissed off at having to crack rocks for hours that a machine could do in seconds but also built like brick-shít houses by the time they get out from all the hours of swinging the pick.
    I think literally cracking rocks is a bit antiquated, but the general idea of giving something back is good... for example, a cleanup crew that visits otherwise beautiful areas destroyed by 'people' dumping their bits of broken cars and garbage... I've seen a few lovely scenic areas in tatters with all the litter and junk, I'd almost clean it up myself if I lived near said areas.
    But knowing this government, it'd probably take a five year, multi-million euro, fact-finding mission to Texas to get a general idea of how it's done... and even then they'll f**k it up and have people escaping left right and center. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

interesting reading on this subject.
    Like the military/industrial complex, the prison industrial complex is an interweaving of private business and government interests. Its twofold purpose is profit and social control. Its public rationale is the fight against crime.
    An American worker who once upon a time made $8/hour, loses his job when the company relocates to Thailand where workers are paid only $2/day. Unemployed, and alienated from a society indifferent to his needs, he becomes involved in the drug economy or some other outlawed means of survival. He is arrested, put in prison, and put to work. His new salary: 22 cents/hour.

From worker, to unemployed, to criminal, to convict laborer, the cycle has come full circle. And the only victor is big business.

it's talking about america of course, but there's lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.prisonactivist.org/crisis/evans-goldberg.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

They dont break rocks because the do good brigade will tell you that nobody loved them as kids so we all should be nice to them. Makes me sick. Repeat offenders and hardcore criminals should all be prevented from ever reproducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I'm sure the prison officers union wouldn't be happy about having to supervise prisoners working outside in our weather. Maybe some other indoors, Irish equivalent. Knitting jumpers or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

MrPinK wrote:
    I'm sure the prison officers union wouldn't be happy about having to supervise prisoners working outside in our weather.
    Yeah it's never gonna happen is it?
    In light of the recent plans to introduce drug testing for prisoners, you hear people talking about prison officers liking the fact that drugs are so available in prison because it keeps the prisoners sedated... wouldn't cold-turkey serve as some kind of deterant?
    tbh prison should be a place to clean up your act, not ride it out by staying constantly stoned/high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

MrPinK wrote:
    I'm sure the prison officers union wouldn't be happy about having to supervise prisoners working outside in our weather. Maybe some other indoors, Irish equivalent. Knitting jumpers or something.

Put them all on the Aran Islands knitting Aran sweaters for tourists. Now that's an idea! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

It wouldn`t work here because in Texas if a prisoner was escaping the cop just shoots him. This means you`d only need 1 guard : 5 prisoners. However here you`d need 3 guards : 1 prisoner. Since our guards would have to be able to run-down and tackle the escaping prisoner; half the prison guard force wouldn`t even be physically eligible for this. (large guts)

Ruffty^ wrote:
    It wouldn`t work here because in Texas if a prisoner was escaping the cop just shoots him. This means you`d only need 1 guard : 5 prisoners. However here you`d need 3 guards : 1 prisoner. Since our guards would have to be able to run-down and tackle the escaping prisoner; half the prison guard force wouldn`t even be physically eligible for this. (large guts)

That's why you chain them all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

It is actually a good idea, would surely decrease pathetic scummer crimes and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think they should give them Ironic punishments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Such as.........?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

NotMe wrote:

Oh yea; "well i`m an idiot"

Hmm let me see an ironic punishment for a rapist; cell b-4 with Xtra large cellmate "BUBBA" beckons /(bitch duty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So who would actually do the cleaning / cooking / whatever in prison then? Would we hire people to do this?
    NotMe wrote:
    And then give them large tools ...

Seriously though, won't someone please think of the road cleaners/ rock breakers. They'll all lose their jobs to the criminals. It's just not right. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

NotMe wrote:
    Seriously though, won't someone please think of the road cleaners/ rock breakers. They'll all lose their jobs to the criminals. It's just not right. :(
    Ya they are doing such a good job our road quality is the evny of europe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've been calling for this kind of thing for years. Surely they could do some kind of work whilst in prison? It costs more to keep a prisoner in Mountjoy than in a five star hotel, they should contribute towards this cost, not the law abiding taxpayers of this nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

As far as im aware they make used to make those free buns & sandwiches
    that we used to get in school, which would explain a lot of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

why dont we send prisoners to 5 star hotels if its cheaper than sending them to the joy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Or you could chop something off... :) little finger for a first offence.... big toe for second.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

I'm in favour of the idea as long as i can be this guy:

http://www.prisonflicks.com/images/CHLGodfrey.jpg

Or you could chop something off... :) little finger for a first offence.... big toe for second.... :)

I like where this is going.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I went to Mountjoy on a tour. They do actually work. A bit, like sewing and stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

NotMe wrote:
    I like where this is going.... :)

towards excision, prohibition and a ban on short skirts?

towards excision, prohibition and a ban on short skirts?

Well not what I was thinking but sure if it works for the Arabs then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think it would do prisoners good to do some work but making them do hard labour that can be done more efficiently by machines would only give them a greater grudge against the system.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Rozabeez wrote:
    It is actually a good idea, would surely decrease pathetic scummer crimes and stuff.

What makes you think that?

Advertisement