Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why BA?

• 01-01-2005 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

I've had this question burning in me from 1st yr.

When I graduate I will have a BA (mod) in Physics. Which just doesn't make sense..

I have a feeling the reasons behind it are historically based, but can anyone explain/elaborate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Im not sure why but you could ask a senior lecturer or someone in college who'd know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Aye but that's 10 days away and I want answers NOW NOW NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Lol I know. You could email? Probably easier to ask in person though. Someone here might know anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

sure u can ask when ur in college studying tomorrow dec :p

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hrm i remember reading that somewhere or else someone told me..it is something historical i think but tbh i cant remember!! i know thats of absolutely no help, but ill think about it and see if i can remember- its really bugging me now!

edit: update: um yeah i cant remember :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

in health science you get a Bsc(all therapy students and i think nursing too), i think med students get three degrees including a BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

three colleges worldwide give a ba(mod) iirc, trinity, oxford and cambridge i THINK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

so it's just the full of themselves colleges so? ;)#

"Our graduates are so good that the scientists succeed with arts degrees, in your face community techs!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

John2 wrote:
    "Our graduates are so good that the scientists succeed with arts degrees, in your face community techs!"

Now now, down with that sort of thing :D

careful now!

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    careful now!

Ah, the old ted-isms, you can't beat them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I asked this question of the then head of the entire Computer Science Department as to why we were getting a BA and not a BSc. He admitted he didn't know... So good luck in finding out 'coz the authorities can't help :confused:

ixoy wrote:
    I asked this question of the then head of the entire Computer Science Department as to why we were getting a BA and not a BSc. He admitted he didn't know... So good luck in finding out 'coz the authorities can't help :confused:

Send a mail to the Dean. Some people I know have emailed him before and got replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i;m going to march right up the front door of the provost's mansion and demand to speak with him. then i'll ask him. i'll let u know what the answer is.

i;m going to march right up the front door of the provost's mansion and demand to speak with him. then i'll ask him. i'll let u know what the answer is.

If you don't like the answer, choke that bitch out

when all else fails, send in the heavies! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Historically all Trinity graduates were moderators and hence the BA(mod). Any of the older courses around College still award this degree rather than the more modern BSc's and BComm's and the like. I think this is mainly to do with the way that courses were run pre-1978 and the main reason that there is resistance to changing it is that it may place existing grads in limbo regarding their degrees. Another anachronism is that the professional degrees, engineers, doctors and I think dentists too, get the BA along with their 'real' degree. I'm an engineer and I graduated with a BA BAI.

If you really want to get to the bottom of why this system exists the person to contact is the Registrar who is Prof. David Dickson in the History Department.

Advertisement