Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone played Homeworld 2 (PC)?

Options
  • 01-01-2005 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of homeworld fan and I thoroughly enjoyed the original Homeworld and the Cataclysm sequel.

I just picked up Homeworld 2 on budget and I am a bit bemused by it. It certainly looks and feels a lot like homeworld which is great but having played about three levels I am a bit bemused by it all. So far the focus seems to be on non stop action - With no real time to think it feels more like an arcade game than a strategy game. Not much thought seems to have gone in to the background story either. Anyone who didn't play the first one must be totally confused.

Does it get any better? Is it worth struggling on with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Its not too well done. A fresh coat of paint is all really. Some of the later missions are nigh on impossible, seriously there's one in particular that I don't know a single person has been able to do without some sort of cheat (I used a money boost to get past it). It's a rush job imho, just as things get interesting it ends.
    For something similar give Haegemonia and it's expansion a look (Not as good a story as HW1 but better production values (bar the voice overs) and excellent Skirmish modes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Eh...I cleared it without any cheating, and I loved the game. Wasn't disappointed at all, the story gets more interesting as you go along. I will admit that it's not quite as atmosferic as the first game, it seems to be missing the likes of the orchestra music. It's a huge change of pace too, and you don't become as attatched to your fleet as you would have done in the first, seeing as you can rebuild it in minutes.

Where i really felt it was marginally better than the first was multi player, with the quicker resourcing, better balance and overall faster pace it was really something special. It's worth playing through I think, but I've been rather fanatical about the homeworld games since the first one came out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Depends if you played it with the 1.1 patch or not, it specifically reduced the difficulty of a number of missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

It's a huge change of pace too, and you don't become as attatched to your fleet as you would have done in the first, seeing as you can rebuild it in minutes.

That's what's really pissing me off. In the first game I loved building up a fleet - organising it into squadrons, selecting formations and tactics and then settng them off.

So far in Homeworld 2 I have barely had a chance to group a few units together before something else happens that needs attention.

I also miss the formations. I loved Sphere formation (vaporise anything dumb enough to get caught in the middle).

Can't comment on multiplayer as I am too old to expose myself to humiliation by 15 year olds. I am rightly pissed off though if they have borked the single player experience just to speed up multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Depends if you played it with the 1.1 patch or not, it specifically reduced the difficulty of a number of missions.
    no didn't play with the patch until second time round, funntily enough when i patched it I had to try the mission with the gate thing around 20 times........

I think they changed the pace to suit more people, not many people had the patience to spend hours organising their fleet. It was quite the experience though, especially in the later missions. And the gameplay seemed to fit the story much better in the first game, everything seemed much more important to the survival of the mothership, and it just was much more of a genuine struggle. I like that they didn't make cinematic movies, and that they did kind of stick to the original fomrula.

The multi player community is great, it's not like starcraft or generals where everything is about winning, it seems to be more about the game. But most of the players have been around a while, most of the people i played against-i played against 5 years ago as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

At the end of every mission it seems to automatically zip into hyperspace. Is there any way to stop this? I'd love a few minutes of unhindered peace just to assign my ships to groups and stuff like that.

EDIT:
    Duh ... I just realised that you can still give orders when the game is paused. Not very realistic but at least it allows me to organise my troups and plan research.

Advertisement