Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RedEye is back!

• 01-01-2005 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

http://www.itcarlow.ie/redeye/index.html

REDEYE STUDENT PROGRAMMING COMPETITION 2005

WHAT IS IT?
    First all-Ireland 24 hour programming competition.

WHO CAN APPLY?
    2nd, 3rd and 4th year third level students

WHERE?
    Institute of Technology Carlow, Kilkenny Rd., Carlow.

WHEN?
    1pm Saturday 26th to 1pm Sunday 27th of February 2005

WHY?
    Well, why not! Pit your programming skills against the best programmers from all the Institutes of Technology and Universities in Ireland.

Also there's over €5,000 worth of prizes to be won. Including a Dell multimedia PC, Archos Gminis, XBoxes & more.

TO REGISTER..
    Tel: 059 9170597
    EMAIL: redeye@itcarlow.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i was delighted when the guy from Athlone IT beat all the Trinity and UCD bastards last year
    best of luck to any Carlow students entering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

no one told me about that last year, do they keep the college open for 24 hours or what? dont the entrants get to sleep? cool that those trinity and UCD heads got proven as being the losers we all know them to be alright :) what king of questions came up last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

no they stay up all night. no sleep at all. though i suppose u cud just have a sleep on the floor or in the jacks or somewhere. dont think they'd mind hehe.
    basically, they lock u in the library for 24 hours and they give u a list of programs to make. you can do the individual one or the team one. as far as i know, the team one usually involves some sort of graphics programmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Well, there are two categories ... Group & Individual.
    Last year, individual got a lot of recursive programming.
    Yes, it's 24 hours straight ... can take breaks etc whenever like.

TCD & UCD had very good teams, it was a very close competition.
    I don't think it's wise to critise other college's and students so willingly, especially if you had no involvement in the competition yourself it's a bit low to critise teams & people who did put the work & effort it, and went for the 24-hour contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

ah fair enough for them competing, it looks like fun alright, I was just taking an easy oppertunity to call TCD and UCD students filthy scummers, there's nothing wrong with a little inter college rivalery and the associated trading of below the belt taunting and mockery that such rivalery intails! ;) j/k

I never even heard of that last year, would have enjoyed it I'd say. can't do it now, all finished up in college :( ... Hey get a job you student scum, pay taxed for my dole! ...and soforth! hehehe been waiting years to become a a moaney dole bludger! teehehehehehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

SeanOS wrote:
    I don't think it's wise to critise other college's and students so willingly,
    might aswell, its rare enough ye get to do it :p (sorry it just had to be said..)

anyway it not just an excuse for drinkies in a different college?

Drinkies not a good description ... more of a marathon drinking session to compete with the marathon programming session.

Think it'd be a more interesting competition if all contestants went drinking night befrore, really show how good they are - programming while hardly being able to see - program till eyes bleed!

can you not bring a crate in with u and have a session in the LRC while ur programmin? thats the only reason i was gonna do it!!

You could try, however I don't think so.
    Anyway if you did it right and got drunk night before, ye wouldn't want beer/alcohol!

ye but if u did it too "right" then you wouldnt last 24 mins, let alone 24 hours, of programming!

• Advertisement

herein lies the interesting part of the competition.
    If everyone does it "right", it would be excellent competition, really testing knowledge/endurance

Advertisement