Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Brandwidth limits???

• 02-01-2005 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

I have IBB in Bray and I was rereading the Terms & Conditions on their site and I came across part [18.14]. ".... Specify limits on bandwidth or simultaneous network connections for residential Subscribers, and use up to these limits is included in the price for that type of customer..."
    What are the ‘limits’?
    What is the term ‘bandwidth’?? (Tried googling it but too complex results)
    And i'm using the connection sometimes for my own game server for my friends and I... Would that effect my bandwidth...??
    And is that simultaneous connections outgoing or incoming?
    I have the 1Mb lite €48.40 a month package.
    I’m confused.. Please Help :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

your best bet is to email them.
    I know the contract states no hosting FTP servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bandwidth is basically how much you download/upload.

you'll be ok with them unless you go crazy on the downloads.

also whereabouts you in bray, i couldn't get it due to the trees of bray head blocking the tower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

I'm on the Boghall near Centra.
    Thanks for the tip...
    Nightmare about the trees.... Cut em' down.. LoL :-)
    Was IBB the only choice you had??
    Because Eircon really messed me up by telling me if I get a new line in BB WILL work on it... so I got the line and two weeks later they said it was not compatible :-( and my next door neighboeur has it at the moment... So I got rid of the phone lin.... :p

Thaed wrote:
    your best bet is to email them.
    I know the contract states no hosting FTP servers.
    Thanks for that 1 :eek: Well ill turn of my FTP server then ... but I will send them a e-mail during office hours.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Bandwidth isn't about how much you upload/download.
    Bandwidth is about the speed of your connection.

Bandwidth Limits in your case: 1mbit/s with a 20:1 contention... meaning they garantee a speed between 1mbit (128KByte) and 51.2kbit (6.4KByte).

About the upload/download, in the term and condition there is a section about abuse of the network and excessive usage... but IBB details nothing and they never explained this one to me clearly.

No need to worry about hosting games but do not run http, ftp servers... Iwouldn't recommend sharing with bittorrent or kazza as these apps act like a server.

Don't know what they mean by "simultantious network" , may be there is an overall limit to the number of simultanious connection to ones IP address... if to many it could considered as a DoS Attack... I'm just speculating... again I don't see game hosting as breaching this otherwise why bother subscribing to BB ?

In the end, IBB sells unlimited download/upload.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

by the letter of the law i assume i can have a https:// server which only i can log in to as i'm not providing it for anyone else... would you say i'd get any hassle about this?

Thanks a mill for that info uteotw... I really learned alot form that thanks. I was sharing for a bit on bit torrent... Ill cut that down LOL...:p I learned alot today guys thanks for all of your help. Ps..I think your Sig is very funny. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oh my,

what a rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tonkpills i could get eircom/utv/iol but i've decided to wait til a better offer comes along, mainly NTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

When the engineers came to install my ibb asked him about download limits. He literally said tell them **** off if they say anything. They should should put a cap on it if they start worrying about downloads... So i wouldn't worry about it. I downloaded lots stuff in the last few weeks since i got it and they said nothin yet. I'm filesharing on limewire for the whole lot. Always someone uploading off me. What quantity defines excessive anyway? As the engineer said you payed for it, you use it...

If they say anything just start bitchin about customer service, say you were on the phone for 30 mins on peak time, holding to ask the question what counts as excessive. Then make a complaint if they become nasty. Esat did away with no limits because ppl were using it too much, they learned from their mistakes... IBB provide you with a service, you pay for it, so you're entitled to use it.

• Advertisement

I have truly had gone crazy when I got IBB first... But then worried because I downloaded about 5 games ranging form 3-4.7gb each form Gamespy network. Then to top that I’d use bittorrent a hell of alot... Just its too easy to get anything you want off the net these days... :D But I still worry about the bandwidth problem... Cause there is no good BB services in my area and this IBB is the only option I could go for... and if i lose it... Jesus what will I use my PC's for then... LOL :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

same here, just got breeze couple of weeks ago and started downloading like mad with bit torrent!

i also hope i won't get penalised because of this, i have no other BB options here! don't want to go back to dialup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

With regards to breeze home:
    Fast Internet access for:-tele working -freeing up the home phone line-unrestricted uploading and downloading. A superior home product suitable for families with high usage and Home Networks.

What download cap? I think unrestricted says it all.

Fast Internet access for:-tele working -freeing up the home phone line-unrestricted uploading and downloading. A superior home product suitable for families with high usage and Home Networks.
    Completely true... Did u get that Quote form there site??? :D

wanwarlock wrote:
    same here, just got breeze couple of weeks ago and started downloading like mad with bit torrent!

i also hope i won't get penalised because of this, i have no other BB options here! don't want to go back to dialup!
    You’re in the exact situation as me.... I even won’t go back to dialup either even if some 1 gave me a 10 grand.... [But on the other side if some 1 gave me that much ill probably get a life time satellite BB 36MB direct connection] :D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I wouldnt worry about it too much guys,I got my IBB installed by a friend who installs the business conn's for them and I brought up the exact same questions about what if I download x amount of gigs a week ,will they cut me back/off etc. The simple answer from him was NO they wont cut you back or off there whole selling point for there product IS " no cap " and whats the point in having a 1mb conn if they decide to back off your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

They won't cut you but they will throttle your connection. Oh yes they will.

They did it in the past, allocating more bandwith to business users on business days during business hours. I was told at the time that I could still download as much as I wanted to (unlimited)... at 1:8th of my bandwith. They used to throttle on all ports from 6am until 6pm (business hours)... including weekends (not really business days).

Anyway, I found some workaround.

Then it seemed to have stopped for a few months.

Now, they are still doing it to me 24/7 but on certain ports only, I have technical evidence. I get throttled eventhough I pay for the 1Mbit business.

When you call IBB support about it, playing it "dumb" and asking: huh ? what's going on ? why are my downloads slow ? The speed is flat (no peaks) just below my contention ratio, when I use a certain app and not when I use IE or FTP ? huh ?

Support answer #1 was: a long pause... (certainly reading my support history on their log)... then the friendly (yes) guy on the phone said he would escalate the issue.

2 more days and no change... so I call again...

Support answer #2 few days after (I called back) was: a long pause... then the girl (not as friendly) told me to hold (certainly speaking to someone, amanger maybe)... 1 minute later she told me that they couldn't garantee the speed for such downloads.

Guess 1 : IBB support are incompetents

Guess 2 : They simply lied to me

Anyway, I've found some workaround again... until the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

uteotw wrote:
    Guess 2 : They simply lied to me

that's what i'm angry about too, digiweb just flat out lied to me, and I still have to pay them, becuase they lied to me and and I signed up, now tell me is that fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

uteotw wrote:
    Now, they are still doing it to me 24/7 but on certain ports only, I have technical evidence. I get throttled eventhough I pay for the 1Mbit business.

Isn't that false advertising? You could file a lawsuit for that! :mad:

Advertisement