Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive recorders

Options
  • 02-01-2005 8:31am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy, am off to the US in feb for a few months and was thinking of purchasing a hard drive recorder. :D
    am getting sick of tapes especially with vcr's going out of the shops
    and a dvd recorder just seems useless - with hard drive recorders out there.

I know a dvd-recorder would be good if you wanted to keep anything from the tv but who keeps movies off the tv anymore ??

Anyhow - does anyone have any insight in these - anyone have one --what costs --what size hard drive ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well a hard disc recorder would be useless to you if you bought it in America, as it would most likely be NTSC format and we use PAL format TV here ;)

They're cheap enough here, get them in Dixons up the north.

Only thing is, your box will need to dial into the UK every night to download the listings.

You could check out the Freevo project (google it) if you're into Linux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

If you're a Sky subscriber I'd very much recommend getting Sky+, simply because it's so damn easy to use, you just plug the box in and it works exactly as you'd expect it, no fiddling or extra subscriptions needed. Admittedly it is only available in a 40GB model here, although you'd be a fool to spend the extra money on getting the 160GB model in the UK, as they can be quite easily upgraded at home, and with the £300 extra it costs over the 40GB (yes, that's £300, or €425), you could self-install one of these babies, and still have a 40GB hard drive and €240 left over.

I haven't really had any experience with other hard disk recorders, but my Sky+ seems to do the job perfectly, so that's my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 555

Hi, I'm thinking about building a PVR (harddisk recorder) and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to a decent looking chassis that wouldn't look out of place sitting under at TV.

I already have an XBox running XBMC (which is great, btw) but I'd like to be able to record from TV.

I have a storage server in the attic and ethernet running around the house, so all I need this little box to do is video capture and run something like freevo.

Something with a small footprint, that is quiet, has a remote control would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    ct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Komplett are doing HTPC cases now.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10553

Advertisement