Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom really charge for going over download limit!

• 02-01-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering If eircom still charge for going over the download limit, do they even remember? If anyone has any experaince with this, please post it!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Yes they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Very helpful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If your on the trial and you go over the limit and then you cancel before the end then you arent charged anything.Just so you know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Isn't it your birthday today Shrimp? Surely you have more to be doing than worrying about download caps?

And no, Eircom don't charge but yes, it is stored and 'remembered'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, they started charging a couple of months ago didn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Are you sure they started charging ?

Hope not, as I downloaded over 20gigs last month and would owe them over 500 euros ????

Does anyone know for sure ???

And Eircoms T&C's for the 2 month free trial says nothing about going over your cap ??

Anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

Flaccus wrote:
    Are you sure they started charging ?

Hope not, as I downloaded over 20gigs last month and would owe them over 500 euros ????

Does anyone know for sure ???

And Eircoms T&C's for the 2 month free trial says nothing about going over your cap ??

Anyone ?

no they arent charging yet.coming from a good source in eircom "they dont have records yet"
    but it will happen soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

ok, so what your saying is, have some mega downloadin parties while ya can!

downloading parties? :cool:

Shrimp wrote:

just dont go overboard mate as im sure they will notice, but i think near double the cap will be ok :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Well for the 1st month of my free trial I dloaded 22gigs and updaloaded around 10gigs. That's between the 12th and 31st December !!

Now the novelty has worn off I'll be stickin to my 8gig limit for the 2nd month of the free trial, (seeing as I have most of the stuff I wanted :)

I they try and charge my for goin over the 8gig limit when I get my bill this month, I'll plead ignorance and say I was on a 2month free trial and if it aint free I'll go to Esat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I bet most of u live in Dublin, in range of Irish Broadband, who dont have a cap... but you're too lazy to switch to them.

The CAP is clearly a preventative. You'll always hear of it coming in "soon". Keeps u from downloading too much and fecking up the service for everyone else. Like if i complained i was gettin bad pings in my area, they'd prolly investigate it, send out a letter warning you will be charged in future, then charge u in future.

But hey, im not on eircon, so i don't give a damn. Rape the service all u want...

...But if u over do it, it'll cost ya (prolly yer parents) bigtime

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

they dont charge and i download over 30 gigs a month

I bet most of u live in Dublin, in range of Irish Broadband, who dont have a cap... but you're too lazy to switch to them.

The CAP is clearly a preventative. You'll always hear of it coming in "soon". Keeps u from downloading too much and fecking up the service for everyone else. Like if i complained i was gettin bad pings in my area, they'd prolly investigate it, send out a letter warning you will be charged in future, then charge u in future.

But hey, im not on eircon, so i don't give a damn. Rape the service all u want...

...But if u over do it, it'll cost ya (prolly yer parents) bigtime

ha i switched from IBB to EIRCOM m8 :D
    eircom are cowboys but at least the signal is always the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

IANOC wrote:
    ha i switched from IBB to EIRCOM m8 :D
    eircom are cowboys but at least the signal is always the same

Why not esat then?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

TCP/IP wrote:
    they dont charge and i download over 30 gigs a month
    Jesus man you download 30 gigs a month, what do you download? Fill us in, give us some web address..... :D
    I hardly reach 4 gig a month (can't find the "right" sites) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭weemcd

Shrimp wrote:

aye you wont be gettin to any real parties this year shrimp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Charges for exceeding the cap should start in Feb 05.

Warnings on your bill of what you would have been charged will start first so keep an eye out :)

- Neil

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Neil were are you getting your info from do you work in Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

is there an app or utility that you can use to see how much you have actually used of your download limit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eircom have a website that you can log into and see your usage. Dunno what the address is since I'm not an eircom user. Esat and UTV have similar things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't forget that eircom have the right to hold billing information for 6 months, and charge you for it. So if they were testing the system that's going live in February for the last few months, they're perfectly within their rights to charge you for any excess in the last 6 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

They have the right to hold it (that's a separate Data Protection Act issue), but where in the contract does it say they can retrospectively bill you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TychoCaine wrote:
    They have the right to hold it (that's a separate Data Protection Act issue), but where in the contract does it say they can retrospectively bill you?
    In the part that says exceeding the download limit will incur a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dr Gonzo for eircom try :

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Trust me, they dont charge for exceeding limits.

rrr0jl.th.jpg

WellyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

WellyJ wrote:
    Trust me, they dont charge for exceeding limits.
    Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Stephen wrote:
    Eircom have a website that you can log into and see your usage. Dunno what the address is since I'm not an eircom user. Esat and UTV have similar things.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know esat's?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

sillild wrote:

Very good of you...

Dammit, I only got 16 gig since november 12th

Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

seamus wrote:
    Don't forget that eircom have the right to hold billing information for 6 months, and charge you for it. So if they were testing the system that's going live in February for the last few months, they're perfectly within their rights to charge you for any excess in the last 6 months...

If they try that they'll be murder, lawsuits and a Sh!t load of trouble for them. They've already been busted for excess charges as it is so they probably wont dare try it.

Advertisement