Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom really charge for going over download limit!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Infini wrote:
    If they try that they'll be murder, lawsuits and a Sh!t load of trouble for them. They've already been busted for excess charges as it is so they probably wont dare try it.

why would there be they aren ot doing anytihng wrong only enforcing their contract which they are perfectly entilted to do, just becuase they have not up to now dosen't mean they won't in the future.

http://dslstats.eircom.net/ to check your usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

zap wrote:
    why would there be they aren ot doing anytihng wrong only enforcing their contract which they are perfectly entilted to do, just becuase they have not up to now dosen't mean they won't in the future.

http://dslstats.eircom.net/ to check your usage

Yeah but would you be very happy if eircom sent you a bill for exceeding you cap nearly six month after it happened. To drop it completely out of the blue is unfair not to mention being unprepared for it. Besides they should increase their caps to levels similar to NTL at the very least since theyre pretty outdated and small as it is. Come on I could chew up a 4GB cap within 24 hours on a busy day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

which brings the question, does anyone know when eircom are due to increase their caps to a more respectable level? its been a year now since the last increase and the current caps are a complete joke when you compare them to caps in all other countries... sure the basic 4gb package is fine as its only meant to be for light users but the homeplus is targeted as a heavy home user and its only 8gb...you cant even order extra download bundles like you can elsewhere and theres nothing other than 512k for the homeuser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Charges for exceeding the cap should start in Feb 05.

Warnings on your bill of what you would have been charged will start first so keep an eye out :)

- Neil

you do know people have been saying eircom will start charging next month for over 6 months now
    like in june people said it would start in july and so on

and what i realy dont understand is people on these boards that lie and say they already charge
    what motive do they have for doing this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Tuxy - I've seen those threads too so I thought I'd post what the current information is. I don't work for Eircom as employees are not allowed to post here, but a few friends of mine work for Eircom and keep me up to date.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What you might see happening is that Eircom will let the overruns slide until you decide to change provider and then whack you with a huge bill for exceding cap. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well theothernt all the other poster said they had friends in eircom also
    its the same thing that comes up almost every month
    kaizersoze wrote:
    What you might see happening is that Eircom will let the overruns slide until you decide to change provider and then whack you with a huge bill for exceding cap. :eek:

ah well not to worry i dont see why anyone would change
    as much as i dislike eircom they seem to be the only company in ireland capable of providing a solid dsl service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I've gone over my limit every month fot the last tweleve with eircom and havent been charged. 32G last month and not a sign of any warning on my phone bill and my limit is 8G, so i reckon download away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

I've been avoiding downloading massive files since I got this, in order not to exceed the limit. If only I had known.

Sadly, eircom seems to be the only service available here, in Wexford. Useless speeds. Anyone have an idea when they're going to offer a faster, residential service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Gonzo wrote:
    which brings the question, does anyone know when eircom are due to increase their caps to a more respectable level? its been a year now since the last increase and the current caps are a complete joke when you compare them to caps in all other countries... sure the basic 4gb package is fine as its only meant to be for light users but the homeplus is targeted as a heavy home user and its only 8gb...you cant even order extra download bundles like you can elsewhere and theres nothing other than 512k for the homeuser...
    People just don't seem to understand...................
    ..........NEVER. Eircom have no reason to do such a thing they have no competition so they will never improve their service. They will try and leach as much cash out of us as they can for as long as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

They will try and leach as much cash out of us as they can for as long as they can.

If thats the case, why arent they charging everyone who goes over the cap?
    not trying to defend eircom or anything, i think they're a shower of b*stards but theyre not charging people for d/l 30gigs a month when they easily could then maybe they're not as money grabbing as i thought, no that couldn't be right, there must be another explanation, it is €ircom we're talkin about after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ubu wrote:
    If thats the case, why arent they charging everyone who goes over the cap?
    not trying to defend eircom or anything, i think they're a shower of b*stards but theyre not charging people for d/l 30gigs a month when they easily could then maybe they're not as money grabbing as i thought, no that couldn't be right, there must be another explanation, it is €ircom we're talkin about after all smile.gif
    Yes I thought of that; about the only reason I can come up with is that they may not have accurate measurements of usage or they are worried everyone will abandon them and move to other providers. My feeling is that they just don't have the correct numbers and once they get them they will begin charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Or a quick report indicated that it's not worth spending money on as most people adhere to the caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I thought the idea of charging extra is to MAKE money, not lose it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭quazzy

dr. gonzo wrote:
    is there an app or utility that you can use to see how much you have actually used of your download limit ?

if you are on eircom

go to http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

On the bottom right fill in your phone num in the form (01-123456)
    and the telephone account number

And Voila, all your downloads and uploads to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yes I thought of that; about the only reason I can come up with is that they may not have accurate measurements of usage or they are worried everyone will abandon them and move to other providers.

The monitoring of Download and upload caps is very accurate.
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

My feeling is that they just don't have the correct numbers and once they get them they will begin charging.

Eircom promised the shareholder 100,000 BB customer b4 Crimbo 2004,
    Now that this is done I would expect them to start charging very soon.

BE WARNED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's not accurate at all. Sometimes for days the numbers don't change :\ And some months I have definately gone over my cap allowance but the eircom page hasn't reflected this. (i'd see I had 1 gig left on my cap, go crazy downloading, and the final value for the month would still be 1 gig left)

Advertisement