Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Team of the Season (So Far)

• 02-01-2005 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Seeing as we had the analysis of the halfway mark of the season I thought Id stick up who would be in my premiership XI if the season ended today. Some serious competition notably on the left wing, but hopefully it wont just be packed with players from the top three.

GK - Cech
    LB - Heinze
    RB - Ferreira
    CB - Terry
    CB - Ferdinand
    LW - Pires
    RW - Wright-Philips
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Makalele
    CF - Henry
    CF - A Johnson

The most contested defensive positions for me was CB where I chose Ferdinand over Carvahlo, but only just. I think Cech, Heinze, and Terry are automatic choices. Ferreira is there based on no one really shining at RB, and he hasnt done half bad.

SWP has been outstanding in an erratic team. No other real competition on the RW. On the left I had Downing (who I really wanted to put in there, definately my favourite for young player of the year), and obviously Duff and Robben, but I went for Pires because he is already into double figures (again)for the season and third top scorer overall. Come the end of the year this position could certainly change. Makalele has been outstanding but unheralded, and Gerrard deserves his spot over Lampard IMO because he scores as many goals, but gives so much more to a team.

Henry, of course. And Johnson, because he is second top scorer (all be it with a few penos) but he plays for palace so hes got to get the credit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't really argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Goalkeeper - Martyn
    Centrebacks - Terry, Stubbs, Ferdinand
    Left mid - Downing
    Right mid - Wright-Phillips
    Centre mids - Lampard, Makelele, Fabregas
    Forwards - Henry, Johnson

For me the goalkeeper, defenders and forwards picked themselves so it was only in midfield where I had difficulty deciding. In left mid I had Giggs, Downing, Pires, Reyes, Robben and Duff to choose from. Robben hasn't played enough, Pires has been poor despite so many goals, Reyes lost form after a great start, Giggs the opposite, leaving Downing and Duff. Duff has played mostly on the right when I've seen him so I'll give it to Downing.

Wright-Phillips has been excellent on the right hand side, as have Ljungberg and Duff, but SWP shades it there for me. In the centre Lampard and Makelele were easy choices, after that I would probably have gone for Gerrard only I think he's only played about 10 league games so far this season. Decided for Fabregas as he's been outstanding and I think he has been involved in more games than Vieira, although Vieira probably has more minutes on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

GK: Cech
    LB: Cole
    RB: Finnan
    CB: Terry
    CB: Dunne
    LM: Robben
    RM: Wright Philips
    CM: Gerrard
    CM: Graveson
    ST: Henry
    ST: Johnson

Cech i think is clearly the best keeper in the prem so far this year.

The Defense was tricky and it was hard to leave Heinze off as he has been excellent but Ashley cole for me has been the player of the season so far. Finnan gets the right back berth as much through a total lack of any quality opposition. Ferdinand, Campbell and Carragher were all in with a shout for the CB role's but Terry and Dunne have been rocks at the back this year.

Left mid was between Downing and Robben but Robben has just been so good i couldn't leave him out, although if Gigg's continues on this form then he'll prob be there come the end of the season. Risse has also shown a touch of consitency on the left. No doubting the two center midfielders are the main reasons for whatever success their respective clubs have had and are the heartbeats of each team. Others who got a look in here were Lampard, Makelele, Fabregas and Alonso. Scholes has come to form again but was terrible for the first part of the season.

Robben had a run of 4 or 5 suberb games but other than that he has done nothing outstanding. There is no way he can be in there over Downing.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Cech
    Gallas
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Heinze
    Gravesen
    Gerrard
    Robben
    Duff
    Johnson
    Henry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Cech
    Cole
    Campbell
    Terry
    Pires
    Gerrard
    Scholes
    Wright-Phillips
    Henry
    Johnson

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd only argue that a 4-4-2 formation is not the right one for this year's Premiership XI.

I'd only argue that a 4-4-2 formation is not the right one for this year's Premiership XI.
    then which is? whats your XI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Has gotta be a Mourinho 4-3-3 when attacking, 4-5-1 when defending.

GK - Niemi
    RB - Ferreira
    LB - Bridge
    CB - Terry
    CB - Ferdinand
    CM - Lampard
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Gravesen
    RW - Robben
    LW - Downing
    CF - Johnson

Don't think they'd work as a team, but they've been the best 11 players in their positions. I've no doubt left someone out but hey.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Has gotta be a Mourinho 4-3-3 when attacking, 4-5-1 when defending.

GK - Niemi
    RB - Ferreira
    LB - Bridge
    CB - Terry
    CB - Ferdinand
    CM - Lampard
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Gravesen
    RW - Robben
    LW - Downing
    CF - Johnson

Don't think they'd work as a team, but they've been the best 11 players in their positions. I've no doubt left someone out but hey.
    Terry Henry

• Advertisement

Bridge? Yeah, he's a great player but has hardly played half the games this season. Robben has done very little since he shot onto the scene, certainly no more than Wright-Phillips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Gk-Roy Carr.....I think il go for Cech
    Rb-Ferreira
    Lb-Cole
    Cb-Terry
    Cb-Dunne
    Lw-Downing
    Rw-Shaun-Wright-Philips
    Cm-Graveson
    Cm-Makelele
    FW-Henry
    Fw-Johnson

Gangsta you left out a man .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Folks - am amazed Ledley King and Defoe are not in anyone's team.

GK - Sullivan (better than Cech as the defence in front of him is not as good)
    Defence - Ferrera, Terry, King, Cole
    Midfield - Robben, Duff, Lampard, Gerrard
    Strikers - Henry, Defoe

Subs - Cech, Ferdinand, SWP, Johnson (CP), Gravesen

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Gk-Cech
    Rb-Finnan
    Lb-Risse
    Cb-Terry
    Cb-Carragher
    Lw-duff
    Rw-robben
    Cm-Lampard
    Cm-Gerrard
    FW-Henry
    Fw-Johnson

How can people think Lampard has been better than Graveson :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Lampard has epitomised the chelsea drive for success this season. He has had a hand in a huge amount of their goals and scored quite a few himself. His drives from midfield cause huge problems for opposing defences, and he isnt bad at defending either.

Gravesen has had a great season by his standards, but is not as good a player in my opinion. Take Gravesen out of the Everton team, and you might not notice - especially if Carsley is playing anyway :D. If you take Lampard out of the Chelsea team, their midfield falters and lacks his presence. Along side Terry, he is their most important player.

Anyway, my team : (4-3-3 / 4-5-1)
    GK: Cech
    DR: Gallas (Ok he hasnt played there much, but better than Ferreira)
    DC: Terry
    DC: Ferdinand
    DL: Heinze
    MR: Gerrard
    MC: Lampard
    ML: Downing
    FR: Duff
    FC: Johnson
    FL: Henry

SUBS: Martyn, King, Riise, Pires, Robben

Lampard is completely overrated. Yes, he gets his fair share of goals and assists but he is not a player you'd like to come calling on if you're 1-0 up in a world cup final. He is no better than Beckham IMO. He also goes missing in about 25% of the games he plays and doesn't have anywhere near the same drive as someone like Gerrard, or David Beckham for that matter.

Actually, Lampard is Beckham without the wife.

edit: actually, maybe I shouldn't say he's overrated as he's good at what he does. Its just that people think he does more than he actually does. He rarely goes in for a tackle and what really gets on my nerves is how anonymous he can become. I look at all the player ratings on Sky and whenever (and I mean whenever) he doesn't score or set a goal up, he is always put down as "anonymous" or "not himself". I mentioned this before but I'd like to show people a tape of the game. He was nowhere to be seen in the first half of Chelsea's home game against Lazio last season until he hit the bar just before half time. He then scored a cracker in the second half and got bloody MOM.

Look at this and tell me solely from reading it if Lampard deserved MOM ahead of Duff:
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,9752,1068505,00.html

That is exactly how the match went, Lampard done very little but gets MOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

GK: Cech (definite choice there)
    DR: Ferreira
    DC: Terry
    DC: Ferdinand
    DL: Heinze (Cole hasnt been as good as he normally is this season, none the less amazing)
    MC: Gerrard (Maybe Graveson, but he just ain't in Gerrards league imo)
    MC: Makelele
    ML: Duff
    MR: Couldn't think of anyone of note really
    FC: Johnson I guess, although I don't think hes that good a player, just an normal player with a **** team.
    FC: Henry

Boro wrote:
    Graveson has epitomised the Everton drive for success this season. He has had a hand in a huge amount of their goals and scored quite a few himself. His drives from midfield cause huge problems for opposing defences, and he isnt bad at defending either.

Lampard has had a great season by his standards, but is not as good a player in my opinion. Take Lampard out of the Chelsea team, and you might not notice - especially if Parker is playing anyway :D. If you take Graveson out of the Eveton team, their midfield falters and lacks his presence. Along side Stubbs , he is their most important player.

I have made some alterations to the above statement to make it closer to the truth .(IMO)

and this is a team of the season so far , not a whos better player thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

LOL you have a habit for the editing BigEars :D

Better player or not, I still believe that Lampard deserves a place in the team ahead of Gravesen. You did notice that I put Johnson in my team ahead of, say, RVN - its not just about the better players. I personally dont think that AJ is a class player, but you cant doubt that he is having a great season. Same with Gravesen, but I just think that Frankie Lumpard (as the west ham fans affectionately call him) has had the better season so far and is performing at a higher level.

• Advertisement

Boro wrote:
    and is performing at a higher level.
    well it is the Premiership team of the season so I doubt it. ;)

Advertisement