Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCG unlimited cards - limiting the range of flims shown?

• 02-01-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

A friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that the fact that UCG sells the unlimited cards means that some studios won’t distribute certain films. Apparently it’s because the studios/distributors don’t want people viewing their product at a cut price. The example given was that UCG couldn’t show the latest Bridget Jones film (in the UK anyway)

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

well i imagine you are talking about UGC. well it is extremely rare for ugc dublin not to show a film that's found else where in ireland (exception of that temple bar cinema thing).
    the studios/distributors
    are getting the same income from ugc whether it's card holders or non holders who see the film. so can i confirm, that certainly ugc dublin isn't afflicted by
    studios won’t distribute certain films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

well i imagine you are talking about UGC.
    Yup, Sorry... :o
    are getting the same income from ugc whether it's card holders or non holders who see the film.

Thats what I thought but was told that it was just a position the big boys took.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

[the studios/distributors] are getting the same income from ugc whether it's card holders or non holders who see the film. so can i confirm, that certainly ugc dublin isn't afflicted by
    It's an accounting exercise. Unlimted card tickets have a face value of about half price, so by one measure, the the studios/distributors do get less. However unlimted cards have had the effect of increasing the total number of customers. So swings and roundabouts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm not 100% sure how they pay the studios in these cases and was always curious about how it worked. Having said that, the only movie I can think of that they didn't screen, which I thought they would, was the "Thirteen Ghosts" remake last year. If that's all we have to miss for the cheaper prices, I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I have a UGC card and whenever I use it it goes through the system as €3.60 or something like that (can't think of the exact amount) so they seem to have taken the average amount of times someone would use it compared to the cost and averaged out that you'd be spending that much on a ticket if you were getting to see the same amount of films for 15.99 a month...

Jesus that made no sense...

Anyway yeh I don't think UGC have not shown any major releases over hear yet, IFC (IFI) excepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

The man behind EasyJet started up a cinema in London a few years ago with the intention of following the cheap arilines model. This would have lead to tickets being as cheap as 20p (or something as crazily low as that). He just wanted asses in seats. However the studios wouldn't give him any films to show :D So the original plan had to be thrown out the window. Maybe this is where this rumour started.

Advertisement