Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work placements

Options
  • 02-01-2005 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have to go on a work placement for my degree in May.
    Just wondering has anyone gone on a placement? How did u get it organised?
    what was it like in general- pay etc

thanx..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I went to Boston for my work placement, had an absolutely fantastic time. I found working a nice break from college. It's just hard going back to being a poor student again afterwards once you've gotten used to making some proper money. I don't know anyone in my class who didn't get one well with their placement.

I don't know how it's done in other places, but in DCU everything is organised through the college. They approach the employers looking for jobs for us. For most people the money isn't great, but sometimes you get lucky. I was being paid far more than I was worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Did you study CA Pink? I would like to go over to Boston for the INTRA in 3rd year. How many can go over there. Is there a limited number of places? Anywhere else in America / Canada that you can go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Yeah, I'm in CA. It used to be only two, but they took 3 of us over to Boston last year and there are three places again this year. The same company were looking for 3 more to go to Colorado, but they left it too late in the year to organise visas. They had to settle for American students instead.

I don't know of any other jobs in the US/Canada, but the first guys to go over to this company on INTRA actually found the jobs themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Thats lucky MrPink, that the college organised it for you.
    The staff in my college are lazy and isnt bothered too much about helping us but theres a lot of pressure to find something now.
    Kinda nerve-racking going somewhere when you really havent a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I've to move up to dublin in may from cork for my work placement. Expecting to be on around €350 a week. College organised interviews for us, and company paid for me to go up for the interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement