Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith No More-Anyone listen to them?

Options
  • 02-01-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Right, I've been a fan of this band for a while now, and I remember about a year ago there was a thread about them here. But just wondering if any of you people are still fans. My fave album from Faith No More, is probably Angel Dust. Everyone I know says The Real Thing, but they're big eejits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Certainly a great band, very original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

the amount of scatology references is horrible though. if you don't know what that means i'm not telling you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

they've some good moments (Gentle Art of Making Enemies) but certainly the bottom of the pile when it comes to bands that Mike Patton has been in

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I prefer Mr Bungle myself but FNM have certainly made some very nice records...

1) Angel Dust
    2) King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime
    3) The Real Thing
    4) Album of the Year
    5) ....the other two.... :rolleyes:, not a huge fan of these....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

John2 wrote:
    ...certainly the bottom of the pile when it comes to bands that Mike Patton has been in

I don't agree with this at all. FNM were one of the most innovative and influencial bands ever, truely ahead of their time.

• Advertisement

but they were no Fantomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Personally I prefer the pre-Mike Patton stuff, Introduce Yourself is a great album but We Care A Lot has As The Worm Turns, which has some of my favourite lyrics ever.

I'm only in it for Mike Patton, the rest of their stuff didn't really appeal to me. I feel he pushed them a little further than they would have gone without him.

I think Patton was a way better singer but Chuck wrote better lyrics, much more cynical :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

NO denying that Patton is an amazing singer. 'Last cup of sorrow' and 'Ashes to ashes' are fantastically sung.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    I think Patton was a way better singer but Chuck wrote better lyrics, much more cynical :)

Dunno about this....Pattons lyrics for Tomahawk are prettty nice...

Like 'Flashback' for example...

Flashback
    The dolls, the hide and seek
    We dreamed of better things
    In the tall weeds
    I rolled with you
    Flashback
    Silhouette of the memory
    You're eyes are getting heavy
    And when I speak
    You sleep on cue
    3, 2, 1
    Did they make you wear a dress did they
    Held you down and tickled you did they
    Did they laugh and make you watch did they
    They wish they had a little girlie
    Come closer take a look inside
    Flashback
    Blueprints have been erased
    Matchbooks, butterflies, mornings
    The grass was wet
    I rolled with you
    Flashback
    Tentecles of my spirit grow
    Sit back, relax and hope
    The second time ain't like the first
    I'm a schoolboy why don't you teach me
    Bend over and we'll hush the squealing
    Put on the mask and dance for Daddy
    Wait for the world to say it's sorry
    You show me yours, I'll show you mine
    Flashback, flashback
    Listen to the song my blood is singing
    Listen to the song my blood is drivin', drivin', drivin', drivin' at you

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

FNM went downhill once Big Sick left. Their variation of styles made them miles ahead of everyone, truly innovative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

i dont come on here alot so its good to see some talk of FNM,
    classic band, king for a day.... is my personal fav.

someone mentioned fantomas, rosemarys baby is cool, im watchin that film in dribs and drabs at the mo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

I have yet to listen to the album that came out after 'King For A Day.....', is it called 'Album Of The Year'?
    Anyone know if its any good?

It's not bad. It has some pretty weak songs but it's worth investigating for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ah they're great. I've never heard any Fantomas though. I always see one of their CDs in shops, and by the back of the case it seems to have just one long song.
    As for Mr Bungle, I listened to one of their CD once. Class stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Angel Dust is one of my favourite albums! Love the band, Mike Patton is deadly

Crucifix, try and have a listen to the Director's Cut by Fantomas, it's an album of movie theme tune covers, it is one of the best things I've heard in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nybras

Oh yes, they were known as one of the hardest working bands out of the states. I recently did a thread on my web site about Mike Patton, who is undoubtedly a genius. I think so. Faith no more are sadly missed though, with fine melodic sound that eventually goes square shaped. But I doubt they will ever get back together, as it was a clash of egos. Best album, can’t pick one…. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Brillaint band.
    Nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yeah excellent band, i recommend anyone who hasnt heard them to pick the best of. a somewhat underrated band in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

John2 wrote:
    but they were no Fantomas

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

Director's Cut was cool, but Fantomas and Derilium Cordia while interesting, aren't exactly albums you'll keep on your stereo for weeks.

Album of the Year is a great album.

Faith No More's music is no where nearly as appreciated as it should be.

And their videos are appreciated even less!

Most of their videos from Angeldust on are brilliant.

Cactus Col wrote:
    Most of their videos from Angeldust on are brilliant.

So they could afford to hire better directors, videos usually have little to do with the band. Album Of The Year, I thought, was very weak. They seemed to just lose it after Jim Martin was fired. I recall him complaining that they wanted him to copy the basslines while recording Angel Dust, rather than do what he did, which is part of what made the band so damn good.

Cactus Col wrote:
    You say this as if it's a bad thing.

Director's Cut was cool, but Fantomas and Derilium Cordia while interesting, aren't exactly albums you'll keep on your stereo for weeks.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally I'd play my Fantomas cd's a lot more than my Faith No More stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i love fantomas, but faith no more are far more accessable and much easier to listen to. especially derillium cordia, which is very much an album to listen to for inspiration of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

i loves um mad about the bungles now too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seen them live twice, an absolutely excellent band with some great songs. They made Guns 'N' Roses look ordinary in Slane :D

My Fav album would be The Real Thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Ah, Faith No More were great... Remember as a garsun going to see them in the Point Depot sometime 92/93 what a gig!! If I remember correctly those ladies from L7 were support on the night, anyone else happen to be at that gig??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Actually listened to The Real Thing on the way to work this morning, hadnt listened to the whole album in probably 5 or 6 years - had forgotten just how listenable it was.

Still have a Faith No More European Tour 1992 t-shirt at home somewhere.

Didnt really listen to them much after Angel Dust to be honest, just seemed like same old. Though to be honest I've heard very little from anybody in the last 10 years to convince me that the whole rock/metal genre didnt go down the toilet after the early 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

marvin2k wrote:
    i loves um mad about the bungles now too
    ah yes mr.bungle is class too.

i hope some day mike patton goes and does some more with dillinger esacape plan. the "irony is a dead scene ep" is absolutely fantastic. it was lots of odd minds coming together.

Advertisement