Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gravesen - the most interesting possible transfer over the next year?

• 02-01-2005 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He is a quality player, there is no doubting it, and I think he would fit in well at most of the big clubs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He is however 29, but since he would be free I guess its an option. I'd be shocked to see him at United or Real Madrid or MIlan, infact I would go so far as to say that will neve ever ever happen.

He'd have to be better than one of these players, Zidane Guti Kaka Gattuso Keane Scholes.
    You just don't think of Gravesen as in the same league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if Everton lose him they are in trouble. He is the playmaker for the team, the link man between midfield and attack. Moyes will fight tooth and nail to hold onto him. Personally I do not see Real signing him but United could be a possibility and I do think he is one of the best midfielders in the premiership.

Looks like the transfer window could make or destroy Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gandalf wrote:
    Well if Everton lose him they are in trouble. He is the playmaker for the team, the link man between midfield and attack. Moyes will fight tooth and nail to hold onto him. Personally I do not see Real signing him but United could be a possibility and I do think he is one of the best midfielders in the premiership.

Looks like the transfer window could make or destroy Everton.

He has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Keano at Old Trafford but then again who hasn't. I can see United testing Evertons resolve to hold onto him in the summer if not sooner. Everton can't really afford to seel though as players in that mould are thin on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Personally I think he is holding out for a good contract with Everton. At the start of the season he said he'd stay if the teams fortunes turned around. He said he wanted to stay at Everton as he liked the club and would have no problems seeing out his last big contract with the club. If Evertons fortunes had continued they way they did last season, I could not blame him if he wanted to leave.

Going on the basis of what he said then and throughout his Everton career, he is a loyal type of player. Now personally I can see his dilema; you are coming to the last long term contract of your career and AC Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona etc come knocking on the door, you are definitely going to consider it. No person in their right mind wouldn't consider it.

I dont want to see him leaving as he is no doubt our best player, the playmaker of the team. I hope he stays and if he does he should get a good contract as he has been a good player for everton and has always shown 100% commitment.

I suppose its just a wait and see type of situation....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Florentino Perez: Pavel Nedved or Thomas Gravesen, I can't make up my mind who to sign. :D

The story is lead by his agent, the first line of the article is a dead giveaway and he has been in contact with several other Spanish clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

if he or any everton regular leaves the club i can see the fine run of performances they have put together stopping altogether,with moyes attracting beattie to the club and whispers of even robbie keane you can see everton seriously challenging for that 4th place spot come may

even to make it to the uefa cup would be an achievement considering last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=249226&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=3&title=Madrid+close+on+Grav+deal&channel=Premiership
    According to reports in Spain, Everton's Thomas Gravesen could jet into Madrid in the next few days as he looks to complete a move to Real.

The Danish midfielder has reportedly also attracted attention from Manchester United and Milan but it is Madrid who are in pole position to land his signature.

Gravesen has excelled at the hub of Everton's midfield this season and is seen as the ideal candidate to add steel to Madrid's light-weight side.

Reports from the capital have suggested a €3 million deal is in the offing, with Everton resigned to losing their talismanic figure as he is out of contract in the summer.

It is expected that the combative Dane will pen a three-year deal, having been convinced to join Madrid by the club's new director of football Arrigo Sacchi.

In the past few weeks Gravesen has conceded that he has been flattered by Madrid's advances and it now appears that he may have concurred on a switch to Spain.

Criky, looks like it might be happening.
    I like the guy, but Is he really thinking he can challenge Zidane for his spot?
    I dont understand why good players go to great clubs where they wont get there game, he'll be another older scott parker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=249226&cpid=23&CLID=&lid=3&title=Madrid+close+on+Grav+deal&channel=Premiership

Criky, looks like it might be happening.
    I like the guy, but Is he really thinking he can challenge Zidane for his spot?
    I dont understand why good players go to great clubs where they wont get there game, he'll be another older scott parker

if Beckham is getting the boot he would be an ideal replacement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:

He'd have to be better than one of these players, Zidane Guti Kaka Gattuso Keane Scholes.
    You just don't think of Gravesen as in the same league :)

Going forward nay , going backwards yay (cept gattuso) he a player who does a job which allows those players to play.

Real need him badly , Great player tho.

kdjac

• Advertisement

going forward is gravesen's best aspect. Darting runs attacking defenders and he has a leathal right boot.. he can also defend.

He has come into his own this season thanks to carsley who has allowed him to get forward more and make those runs... and as for his passing.. it is inch perfect. He has fantastic distribtion. I think he'd do really well at Real... but hopefullly that will never happen for everton's sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd rather Graveson than Lampard tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I think graveson is a good allround solid player but i dont think he is world class,he'd struggle to get into the chelsea,man u,real team in my opinion i honestly think he'd be out of his depth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Gravesen's agent has been talking to Madrid since the weekend. He has told them that he believes Everton will accept a bid of £1M. If the deal goes through he'll be nothing more than a squad player at Madrid but he will be an improvement on Guti as the holding midfielder.

Have to laugh, Real spent the summer chasing Vieira and had Alonso as plan B. Benitez came along and bought Alonso for a fraction of the price quoted to Madrid within hours of Arsenal pulling out of the Vieira deal. One transfer window later Real pick up Everton's best player as the scraping the barrel option for their midfield thus destroying Everton's season. If the transfer goes through, all credit must go to Rafael Benitez. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Real have sent a fax with a firm offer for Graveson according to BBC FiveLive

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Who will Everton buy to replace him??? has been rumblings all season that Moyes fancies Reid.....would be a good move for Reid as he would be a regular starter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Apparently Moyes is keen on Petrov, Petrov is happy at celtic tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Fair deuce to Graveson, has put great performances this season for Everton and is getting recognition for. Luxemburgo will try and do anything to displace Beckham, and rightlyfully so, his performances have dropped so much.

Ah well, thats the end of Everton's season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well you never know he may bring someone equally as good. Tbf Gravesen is not of superstar quality.

• Advertisement

Ah well, thats the end of Everton's season :)

I think we heard this when rooney left did we not? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

It's a done deal apparently. Whatever about Rooney,this is really bad news for Everton IMO

From Skysports:

Real seal Gravesen deal

Real Madrid and Everton have confirmed a deal for Thomas Gravesen has been agreed.

The Dane has already agreed terms with Real, because of the fact he was out of contract at Goodison Park in the summer - which meant he was free to talk to clubs during the January transfer window.

"Real Madrid have reached an agreement for the transfer of Thomas Gravesen to The White club (Real)," said a Real statement on www.realmadrid.com.

"Gravesen will play for Real Madrid in what remains of this season and three more."

The Toffees were desperate to keep Gravesen - who has been in outstanding form this season - but they have admitted defeat and have now accepted a fee of just over £2 million for him, rather than getting nothing for him in the summer.

Gravesen will now have a stringent medical in Madrid before putting pen-to-paper on a three-and-half-year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Maybe they'll get Beckham in a swap deal? :p

Anyway, I think Gravesen is the kind of player who just might force his way into the team, like Claude Makelele did. He wasn't a superstar beforehand either, but when it comes down to it, you just need thak kind of combatitive player in there.

I think we heard this when rooney left did we not? :rolleyes:
    I think you know I said that they should cash in on him and buy a decent squad..

Anyway, Rooney was not involved in the same way Gravesen has been this season.. He is an instrumental part of that midfield and is a massive loss.. Compartively, it would be like Liverpool loosing Stevie Gerard only Liverpool would have someone like Alonso to step in.

Everton do not have anyone that remotely comes near Gravesen in terms of quality. It will be interesting to see what Moyes can pull out of the bag this time. It will cost far more than 2 million to replace him.

I think you know I said that they should cash in on him and buy a decent squad..

Anyway, Rooney was not involved in the same way Gravesen has been this season.. He is an instrumental part of that midfield and is a massive loss.. Compartively, it would be like Liverpool loosing Stevie Gerard only Liverpool would have someone like Alonso to step in.

Everton do not have anyone that remotely comes near Gravesen in terms of quality. It will be interesting to see what Moyes can pull out of the bag this time. It will cost far more than 2 million to replace him.

I was referring to the point about people saying we were finished when rooney left.

Perhaps we could send carsley over. Could they really tell the difference??? Most people cant anyway :D

Just looking at everton forums, and they are usually pretty accurate with regards to transfer rumours in the past the following have been discussed as replacements for tommy the tank:

Michael Tonge - Sheff Utd - I reckon he could make just as successful step up as Cahill has.

Yossi Benayoun - Racing Santander - This has gotta be the one in my opinion, absolute quality Israeli hard-tackling midfielder, but also a great playmaker, at a lesser team, and apparently they're thinking of cashing in on him, could be a great purchase! Very much a direct replacement for Grav! he is available as well 4 Million, 23 years old. Racing don't want to sell to another Spanish club, and he's looking for a move to england!

Thomas Kalenberg - Brondby - has had his debut on the danish international team and is a regular at U-21 lvl. He is a hard working off. midfielder who scores a lot of goals a lot like Gravesen and he is just 22 years old and could be a force for many years. He has been linked with some big clubs already so if everton act fast they can get in ahead of the likes of Barcelona, Marseille and some Bundesliga clubs..

Martin Retov - Brondby he is more a def. midfielder not as big a as Kalenberg but hard working and with a big potential. He has also be in around the Danish national team and also a U-21 regular.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yossi Benayoun - Racing Santander - This has gotta be the one in my opinion, absolute quality Israeli hard-tackling midfielder, but also a great playmaker, at a lesser team, and apparently they're thinking of cashing in on him, could be a great purchase! Very much a direct replacement for Grav! he is available as well 4 Million, 23 years old. Racing don't want to sell to another Spanish club, and he's looking for a move to england!
    I seen him play this season against Madrid last month and he was by far the best player on the pitch, he also scored. Ireland have to face him in March. :(

Michael Tonge - Sheff Utd - I reckon he could make just as successful step up as Cahill has.

Thomas Kalenberg - Brondby - has had his debut on the danish international team and is a regular at U-21 lvl. He is a hard working off. midfielder who scores a lot of goals a lot like Gravesen and he is just 22 years old and could be a force for many years. He has been linked with some big clubs already so if everton act fast they can get in ahead of the likes of Barcelona, Marseille and some Bundesliga clubs..

Martin Retov - Brondby he is more a def. midfielder not as big a as Kalenberg but hard working and with a big potential. He has also be in around the Danish national team and also a U-21 regular.....
    I can just imagine what you would say if I put these down as potential targets for Liverpool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was on Ceefax yesterday that Sheff Utd turned down an official offer of £750k from Everton for Tonge.

I can just imagine what you would say if I put these down as potential targets for Liverpool..

I'd make an INFORMED decision and then comment.

If a player is good he is good, no matter who is doing the buying or selling. And what Liverpool do is really of no concern to me. They can buy or sell who they like..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Poor auld Everton, lookes like Chelsea/Arsenal/ManU/Liverpool again for the top 4. Everton can't afford to lose the heart of their midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're crackers! Is Andy Reid any sort of replacement?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mike65 wrote:
    They're crackers! Is Andy Reid any sort of replacement?

Mike.

Not even nearly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I work with an Everton fan and he's not a happy bunny!

Wouldn't agree that Everton's season is over tho' - Moyes is a top manager but must replace Gravesen quickly. Would suggest Savage but apparently he's not keen on moving north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

galactus wrote:
    Would suggest Savage but apparently he's not keen on moving north.

Not keen? He's dying for a move to Blackburn, which would be in the North West, as is Liverpool.

Savage won't be going anywhere except Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Yossi Benayoun was heavly linked with Liverpool over the past while, quality player if you ask me

"From a Israeli paper

"Meanwhile, a source close to Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez said he is in the market for attacking players due to the club's injury woes, and is trying to sign Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes in January. If the Morientes deal falls through, the source said, Benitez will try to sign the less-expensive Benayoun.

A Liverpool representative apparently watched Benayoun in Cyprus on Wednesday night too.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry confirmed yesterday that the club was interested in Benayoun."

Michael Tonge was another player linked quite heavly during the GH years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

seansouth wrote:
    Not keen? He's dying for a move to Blackburn, which would be in the North West, as is Liverpool.

Savage won't be going anywhere except Blackburn.

I heard he's looking to stay near Brum

PS Thanks for the geoga lesson but I'm once of these people who actually know where Blackburn is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

galactus wrote:

Recent reports suggested he wanted to live in Chester.

Anyway, with Mark van Bommel possibly going to Spurs, don't be surprised if Moyes makes a bid for Michael Brown. He'll face competition from Brum for the midfielder's signature, and he'd be a great signing for them (but he's no Gravesen).

Yossi Benayoun was heavly linked with Liverpool over the past while, quality player if you ask me

"From a Israeli paper

"Meanwhile, a source close to Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez said he is in the market for attacking players due to the club's injury woes, and is trying to sign Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes in January. If the Morientes deal falls through, the source said, Benitez will try to sign the less-expensive Benayoun.

A Liverpool representative apparently watched Benayoun in Cyprus on Wednesday night too.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry confirmed yesterday that the club was interested in Benayoun."

Michael Tonge was another player linked quite heavly during the GH years.

You are getting involved in an age old argument here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

galactus wrote:
    I dont know where you heard that?

Here is just one story about the move to Blackburn.

Advertisement