Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R n B- Rythm and Blues?

Options
  • 02-01-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Isn't it strange how far R n B has moved from it's roots? I assume this forum covers both old and new style RnB. I think most of the new style RnB should be classified as soul, like Ashanti and Usher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Agreed. Most of the schlop called R'n'B these days has very little to do with 'classic' R'n'B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

True, its an arguement i've had with people out in the pub, what is called R&B in the charts now feels to me to follow more naturally from soul music, i mean back in the day the rolling stones were considered R&B ffs.
    That said, with the mass produced soulless (funnily enough considering my previous comment) colour by numbers singles that are being churned out these days i dont have much interest in keeping up with what pigeonhole what artist/band have been shunted into this week. I just take what i like and ignore the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Modern RnB or soul music has nothing to do with Blues, soul, gospel, or even Rythmn. It's tripe. RnB is just a cover classification for "any black artist/group not already classified as Rap."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Modern RnB or soul music has nothing to do with Blues, soul, gospel, or even Rythmn. It's tripe. RnB is just a cover classification for "any black artist/group not already classified as Rap."

RnB is just an evolved version of Soul music. It took its origins from it. its not the same thing at all. With Soul music the artist puts his heart and soul into what hes doing,Soul is emphasized on the vocals which are complimented by the meledy and instruments. Where as RnB, the emphasis is on the base aswell as the vocals, a lot of the styles of vocals in RnB are taken from Soul music. To say that its tripe isnt exactly fair or that its some cover classification for any black artist/group not already classified as Rap. There are alot of very soulfull RnB Artists. Its a completely diffrent type of music to any other. Would you Put Usher or Alica Keys in the same genre as westlife or blue or one of the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I would say modern RnB has very little emphasis on the music. If we're to take 'Yeah' by Usher as an example, it's just the same keyboard line all the way through the song with little distinction for the likes of a chorus or middle 8, all the emphasis seems to be on the vocals. Personally, I don't really listen to a lyric as much as I'd listen to a good groove on bass and drums or a funky guitar lick and I find modern RnB soulless and empty sounding, designed more for a gaudy video on MTV than music for the soul, really uninspiring and in that sense I'd have no problem lumping Usher in with Westlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

most of it is shyte but there is good stuff out there,you just have to see thru the crap which is admittedly very difficult.
    just like the disco scene (or even the uk punk scene) when it became mainstream really,the amount of dross being pumped out far outweighs the good but there is some good stuff out there.think about the crap that turns up on the motown label .
    motown is classed a genre of its own at this stage although theres a lot of tripe there in my opinion.
    (i think the phrase r&b is a proto-pc phrase invented back in the day in order to compile charts for "black" music)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Marvin Gaye is Soul
    Otis Redding is Soul
    Aretha Franklin is Soul

Usher has no Soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

mbroaders wrote:
    Marvin Gaye is Soul
    Otis Redding is Soul
    Aretha Franklin is Soul

Usher has no Soul

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

Ahem.

Mr. James Brown??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Marvin Gaye is Soul
    Otis Redding is Soul
    Aretha Franklin is Soul
    Usher- aresoul

i really dont get usher at all i mean he doesnt even look like a singer?
    cant put my finger on it but i agree hes shi_t!

• Advertisement
Advertisement