Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling Dixons/HFC bank credit

Options
  • 02-01-2005 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an item on 6 months' interest free in Dixons in July and got a letter from HFC bank the other day telling me my interest free period was coming to an end, and to settle the balance before X date in order to pay it off before interest kicks in.

However! They only mention taking CHEQUES! Is this for real? 2005 and they only accept cheques? I've never used a cheque in my life...tis a bit of a hassle now.

I'm going to ring them on Tuesday to ask them, but has anyone here recently settled an account with them and paid by credit card/balance transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'm afraid I haven't, but a few observations:

They're not going to accept a credit card, that's for sure. They'd lose 2 percent or so on the deal. Dixons is already taking (an admittedly shallow) bath for a couple of percent to give you the 6-month facility.

Administering transfers for small-value, once-off transactions just wouldn't be cost-efficient. Cheques are still the best way of doing this.

They're more-or-less within their rights to do what they are doing. It might seem a little old-fashioned, but there you are. If I were you, I would go and get a bank draft in the bank and pay it that way. It's just not worth arguing about.

They could give you a giro docket and make arrangements to allow you pay at a bank branch, but the banks aren't really very keen on that sort of business anymore.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Agreed, if they're insisting on a cheque and you haven't a cheque book a bank draft is your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

zaph wrote:
    Agreed, if they're insisting on a cheque and you haven't a cheque book a bank draft is your only option.

Well if they take a bank draft that's fine! If they take them! It wouldn't hurt them to take bank drafts/giro payment/balance transfer. Just taking cheques is taking the piss.

I'm afraid I haven't, but a few observations:

They're not going to accept a credit card, that's for sure.
    Hmmm I'm not so sure about that.
    I've an interest free item from currys(same group as Dixons) and it's done with HFC bank aswell.
    They have told me that they will accept payment via credit card in settlement if I give it to them before the 12 month interest free period is up.

It's actually a win win as I should be able to get an extra 56 days interest free via the credit card also.

They are located in the Tallaght retail centre high st Tallaght.
    Etho,Give them a ring on 01 4585018

Cheers Earthman, i'll ring them tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be very sure to follow their rules and to pay on time. I imagine the 0% suddenly becomes twenty-something percent.

don't worry I will, I think it's 29% !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Originally posted by etho_

Well if they take a bank draft that's fine! If they take them! It wouldn't hurt them to take bank drafts/giro payment/balance transfer. Just taking cheques is taking the piss.

What a lot of people don't seem to realise it that a bank draft is actually a cheque. Instead of you writing it and it being drawn on your account, it's written by the bank branch and effectively the money comes out of their account when it's cashed. You basically pay them the amount of the draft and a commission for the use of their cheque book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Earthman wrote:
    They have told me that they will accept payment via credit card in settlement if I give it to them before the 12 month interest free period is up.
    I thought it was illegal to pay off credit with credit.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I thought it was illegal to pay off credit with credit.

MrP
    Well they did say I could pay by credit card.
    I never knew it was illegal-isn't a balance transfer paying credit by credit and therefore illegal if thats the case? or a re-mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I settled an account in the past with HFC by cheque, as far as I can remember the cheque had to be cleared prior to the 6 month maturity date so
    send your cheque /draft in at least two weeks in advance. ( I sent it by reg post). They might accept Laser as I dont think there is a charge for them like a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I worked in Currys in the North. We were able to process overpayments and account settlements at the tills. If someone wanted to settle up they simply had to call HFC or GE and get a settlement figure. They could then pay that through the till, providing they had their account number. We were told to allow a week for it to go through and were also told we could not accept CC for payment. I appreciate that we are talking about a different country bt it is the same company and bank.

Check with the branch you bought the gear in to see if you can pay there, it might be easier for you.

MrP

Advertisement