Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop Quiz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Hardware is the computer componants eg. harddrive
    Software are the things which can be downloaded onto the computer eg. Windows Vista.

What is a blank cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

a cheque that has some info otmitted from it.

why did the industrial revolution begin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭hurler007

• Rising population-greater demand for food and clothes.
    • New machines eg.steam engine
    • Britan rules over many colonies-they could bringin raw materials and also had a market 4 goods.
    • Transport-goods transported more quickly.

Complete the chemical equation for the reaction of carbon dioxide with limewater
    Ca(OH)2 + CO2
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭lolipops

Ca(OH)2 + CO2 -> CaCO3(s) + H2O

explain the following:
    gerrymandering
    glimmerman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 hardcorev1bes

gerrymandering...hmmm , changing election district boundaries so it favours a certain party?..or somewhere along those lines.
    glimmerman...the guy who came around to peoples houses during the emergency to make sure they were sticking to their rations (of gas etc.)

What is Inflation?

• Advertisement

Inflation is where the economys surplus or deficit.
    For example, if irelands total incoming money one year was 100 billion
    and the next year it was 110 billion, the countries inflation rate wouldbe 10 percent.
    A very unrealistic example but i hope none the less, it gets the point across :P

What are the proceses in a 4 stroke engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 winner92

Inflation is where the economys surplus or deficit.
    For example, if irelands total incoming money one year was 100 billion
    and the next year it was 110 billion, the countries inflation rate wouldbe 10 percent.
    A very unrealistic example but i hope none the less, it gets the point across :P

You are refering to economic growth which occurs when a countries GNP increases from one year to the next. Inflation is when there is an increase in the cost of living from one period of time to the next. Irelands inflation rate is known as the consumor price index.
    Name the 4 P's of marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 hardcorev1bes

Price
    Place
    Product
    Promotion

how are metamorphic rocks formed?

Lol thanks for the correction and thats the only short question i didnt answer with the "another name for inflation in ireland":S
    Anyway back to the topic.
    Metamorphic rocks are formed out of rocks that already exist. The immense pressuse and heat caused to the rocks fuse them together to form Metamorphic rocks.
    Examples of this type of rock are marble quartzite and slate.

Lol forgot question :P

What is the formula used to plot points on a graph?
    Starting off:"-b.........."

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Em-Shox

Cé a scriobh ''An t-Adh''? :p First time I've written Irish in months![/quote]

Padraig O Conaire ceapaim:P

And I think the formula is -b plus/minus the square route of bsquared -4ac? its prob wrong!

What does renaissance mean?

• Advertisement

The fulcrum is the pivoting point which balances two or more weights.
    Science ^^

Hopw long does a cheque have to lay dormant (not cashed in
    ) for it to turn into a "stale cheque"?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

6 months.
    What is the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point of an object in which its maximum balance lies. Wide, short things have high centre of gravity, thin, high things have a low centre of gravity

What is Ionic bonding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

y - y1 = m(x-x1)
    where m is the slope..

Two thigs that MUST be present on a sketch map for geography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jelly:)

North arrow and labels. . .
    I think?

What year did the nineteen sixteen rising take place? ;)
    he he!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

The centre of gravity is the point of an object in which its maximum balance lies. Wide, short things have high centre of gravity, thin, high things have a low centre of gravity...

I prefer the definition that "The centre of gravity of an object is the point through which all the weight of the object appears to act" (the word appears is important!)

Your statement about wide, short objects and high thin ones is not true. The location of the centre of gravity depends on where the mass is distributed in the object. A racing car, for example, has a centre of gravity which is about 1cm above the ground. A champagne flute containing liquid would have a high centre of gravity, located somewhere inside the area where the liquid is.

Ambrosia wrote: »
    Transfer of Atoms!...

Ionic bonding is NOT the transfer of atoms. Ionic bonds occur between atoms which have lost/gained electrons.

The corrrect definition is "An Ionic bond is the force of attraction between oppositely charged ions in a compound" (where an ion is an atom which has lost/gained electrons, e.g. Na+, Cl-, etc)

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I prefer the definition that "The centre of gravity of an object is the point through which all the weight of the object appears to act" (the word appears is important!)

Your statement about wide, short objects and high thin ones is not true. The location of the centre of gravity depends on where the mass is distributed in the object. A racing car, for example, has a centre of gravity which is about 1cm above the ground. A champagne flute containing liquid would have a high centre of gravity, located somewhere inside the area where the liquid is.

It is!
    The greater the surface on the ground, the lower the centre of gravity is,
    judging of course that the shape is the same thickness throughout and is of the same density.

Now I'll answer the last question said being 1916 :P
    And then write a question as it is the done thing in the pop quiz.

What does A/C & D/C stand for?

It is!
    The greater the surface on the ground, the lower the centre of gravity is,
    judging of course that the shape is the same thickness throughout and is of the same density...

The problem is, that's the opposite to what you said in your original post -
    Wide, short things have high centre of gravity, thin, high things have a low centre of gravity

What you say is true if you compare, say, the location of the C.o.G. in a skyscraper standing vertically and then the same one lying on it's side (the C.o.G. will be at a lower height when it's lying horizontally)

The definition I propose is a general one, which will always hold true. Check out online definitions of the centre of gravity - you will notice that they all pretty much say the same thing as I did.

In an exam, for a definition to be acceptable, it should be general enough to apply in ALL cases.

:rolleyes: Again You didn't reply. This is a quiz not a correction game.

Alternating current or Direct Current Power I think - havent done this.

What is a souterrain?

I didn't reply because I'm not a Junior Cert student. I'm a science teacher with over 20 years experience of teaching science at Junior Cert and Leaving Cert level and I was trying to make the point that some of the definitions/answers given were not exactly correct. I was giving a little advice based on years of correcting exams and seeing people lose marks because of errors in their definitions/explanations.

But if you want an answer, a souterain is an artificially built underground structure usually consisting of a passageway and sometimes one or more rooms.

That's all.

• Advertisement

I dont really care what you are you could be a phsics professor for all I care but when posting in a Junior cert thread in the junior cert forum perhaps you should not adopt a ''I'm above the petty rules'' Attitude.

Again no question posed so -What's the french for tooth-paste?

I wasn't adopting an "I'm above the petty rules" attitude - I was only trying to be helpful by commenting on mistakes in one or two answers.

Obviously my suggestions on how to gain more marks are not welcome, so I won't bother you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janja93

French for toothpaste = dentifrice

Name the -b formula.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

I assume that's the Quadratic Formula...

-b +/- ((the square root of) b(squared) - 4ac)

2a

Who was Hitler's Minister of Propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Iceland? Its a very arctic climate I know that.

What two chemicals are used to make oxygen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daftpunk

hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide..

what is carbon dioxide made up of?

CO2

1 Carbon (solid) atom, and 2 oxygen (gas) atoms.

Its molecules isnt it?

State the quadratic formula, and for a thanks state what it is used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

-b +/- the square root of b squared minus 4ac over 2a

its for when a quadratic equation doesnt work out evenly or something?

Whats a metamorphic rock?

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    -b +/- the square root of b squared minus 4ac over 2a

its for when a quadratic equation doesnt work out evenly or something?

Whats a metamorphic rock?

A sedimentary rock that was morphed by the pressure and heat in the earths mantle. Example: Basalt

Can't think of a question

What is the opposite of a vacuum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 j'aime

wow you guys.. i cudn answer lik half ov them questions=O.. does any1 ere go to an irish skul?.. x x x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 evansmiley

eh a black hole???or maybe pressure?
    Who was the Pope during the Reformation?

Advertisement