Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new house help needed

Options
  • 02-01-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi,I am thinking of building a 2/3 bedroom bungalow on a cousins Farmland in a area of waterford and i am from cork.

Just wondering what the different zones are and what i would need the zone to be so as to take things the next step.

Also what would the planning permission cost and if i could buy a book of house plans in easons or whatever for ideas etc.

The area is classed as disadvantged for farmland and the field has lots of little stones etc.,would this affect the drainage which i believe is a factor in the planning.(the field has soil but is very stoney..cattle use it )

Can anyone point me towards a book or a pdf to download or just general information to help me?I am going to use direct labour as i can do most things myself to cut costs.Is there a timescale for finishing the house or can it go on for several years 2-4 without affecting the planning?(long term project?)
    Kind regards,
    kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chippie

hello
    the very first thing u need to do is get in contact with an engineer . Many things u need him for , (1)to plan the whole project (2)mark out site (3)submit plans (4) mark out house (5) give you go ahead to pay the different trades.You cannot go ahead without him he will save u money and make sure ur project is done right Ask yourself this what happens if house is in different place on site to what plans say what happens if some trades man says everything is ok and u find out its not let ur engineer say if its ok or not work with him and you will save money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks for the good advice.Would a architect be the same as a engineer or would a surveyor?

Also what is a chippie?Heard the phrase loads of time.Carpenter?
    I am based in carrigaline but suppose a local engineer would be best to use in the locality of proposed house which would be 40 miles from me.

Any idea what kind of fees these guys charge and which would be cheaper?I am presuming that there would be a good saving in using direct labour instead of a builder.Would i be wrong or would the diff be very little.

Kind Regards,Kieran

Ps.Anyone know any good engineers and tradesmen or builders in the fermoy/lismore area?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, talk to the local council planning department. Be able to tell them exactly where the site is and they should be able to tell you the zoning. Random houses in the countryside are being frowned upon more and more.

Planning permission is valid for 5 years.

Architects, engineers and surveyors all have different specialities, but all should be able to help. Having someone local would be a distinct advantage. Depending on cirumstances, fees would be about 15% of construction costs for a full service.

hello its me again i like a pint in the corner house do u want to meet up some time or a game of cards in soccor club on wed night
    chippie

Hi Chippie,What cards do ye play there ?Is it a progressive 45 game best of 12?

Unfortunately you wont see me in the corner as i dont drink and tend to dislike pub culture(in other words i am to busy with kids at home in evenings and comp games!!!)

Kind regards,kieran

• Advertisement

hi its 45 ok but its €1 a game a nice friendly game progressive is on in gaa club on tuesday night

Quick question,The land where i am proposing to build is stoney under soil.I.e.rocks like 7-8" long etc.Does it have to be like a garden with small quantity of stone?There is a lot of them there!!

Would this make building there a problem?Create Bad drainage ?
    Just wondering in case i would be wasting money getting engineers etc. if it wasnt suitable at start of project.
    Regads kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Think someone said to me onetime if underground is very stoney it can be good for drainage,works like a man made sup..I think though get a report all the same incase.

Is there a minimum site size like 1/2 acre or can site be like 100ft x 100 ft?

thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Call the local county council. They'll be able to tell you the likelihood of getting PP on the site. Will save you a lot of grief later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

as said above check with local planning department.. they will be able to inform you of what zoning the site is currently in.. as to drainage etc. perculation tests will have to be carried out to find out if it is suitable for development. Other than that things that will be of interest to the planner is site orientation, level etc. Good idea is take photos of the site from the road just to show the exact aspect and situation of your proposed dwelling. It is a good idea anyway to request an appointment for consultation with the planner as he/she will be able to point you in the right direction as to restrictions ie.. whether it would be possible to build 2storey etc. straight off.. and avoid being refused permission and having to appeal etc.

Advertisement