Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Zyxel working with Linksys Router

• 02-01-2005 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've been trying and failing to get my WirelessG Linksys Router to work with the USB/Ethernet ADSL modem supplied by Esat.

ADSL Modem
    |
    |
    v
    Linksys Router
    | | ~
    | | ~
    v v v
    2 PCs will be wired rj45
    1 wirelessG laptop

The internet connection works grand when only using the modem on one computer but I can't get anything to work when the router is brought in - i think because they both want to act like routers. I can access the two devices' web configurator when they are directly connected to a PC but not otherwise. I want my LAN to have static IPs and assigned the modem as 192.168.10.2 and router as 192.168.10.1 and disabled DHCP (to the best of my abilities). The computers have been assigned static IPs too. I read on another thread here of someone using a crossover cable between their modem and hub. Do I need one? Could someone tell me the settings I should set up on these two devices as I'm obviusly wrong somewhere. Or failing that point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find anyone who has had the same problem as me and I thought it would be a pretty common problem..

Thank you
    -luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I had the same problem.
    My router has 4 RJ45 LAN ports and 1 RJ45 WAN port into which the modem was to be connected, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work that way. So as a last resort I plugged the modem into one of the LAN ports and it worked.
    DCHP is enabled on both router and modem but it seems to be the modem that assigns the ip addresses to the pc and laptop.
    On both machines I entered the ip address of the modem in the "default Gateway" section where you enter the ip address. Both are set on "obtain IP address automatically"
    I doubt if the crossover cable idea will work but you never know. I'm not an expert on networking so I will probably be corrected on that one but the rest worked for me.
    Don't forget the obvious stuff like having the same workgroup name on all machines...........

Hope this helps
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 27 luketheone

Thanks kaizersoze, sorry for the delay, it took me a while to get around to working on it again... Buts its worknig (for now) thank heavens. IOL couldn't help as they didn't supply me the router, but there were some documents on the linksys site that do.

Initially they were both as 192.168.1.1, but linksys give instructions to change the router to 192.168.0.1.

I also had to set one of the computers MAC addresses into the router's settings and turn on and off the hardware in sequence. Heres a link: Linksys Knowledgebase

They are both still on DHCP, but the router is used as dhcp server and gateway. The modem is DNS server i think.

...Now to try get the wireless laptop onto the network *sigh*

Thanks again
    -luke

Advertisement