Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic Guilt

• 03-01-2005 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

It's a myth right?

What exactly is it supposed to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can someone explain it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't know if it was ever all that strong in Ireland.

The religious education we got in school was very wishy washy and touchy feely.

Even with older generations, whilst they believed in stuff like hell, they didn't seem to get all that worked up about it as they seemed to assume that it was something that would happen to other people. Then again, maybe some people took it more seriously than others - see the retreat bit in "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" - or maybe they went through short phases where they were agonised by it and then relaxed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

scare tactic, just imposed upon you if you wanna believe in catholisism or not. i suppose its those who are more into the faith than others who suffer, not me.

• Advertisement

merc wrote:
    Guilt is self-centered wallowing in the consequences of our wrongdoing.

Basically.

correction friend, wrong doing in the eyes of the church

merc wrote:
    You will have to explain the "correction friend bit" I feel you do not mean it in the context of the thread but maybe a more wider way? Forgive me If I have pick you up wrong.

You can be sure I wont feel guilty though! :)

lol look dont mind me im usually talkin nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

worst invention ever religon (i hope god doesnt read this) :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Of course god reads boards.ie 0_o

I've seen his account. He really only posts announcements and makes new forums though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Then there's the whole issue of "original sin"... so really there's no way to avoid guilt is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's an American stereotype from what I can see.

And it's nothing to do with fear of hell.
    It's more to do with Jesus' sacrifice/dying on the cross/etc. and that any Catholic who commits a sin *should* feel guilty because they're taking their Messiah's sacrifice for granted etc. etc.
    In a different vein, it may also have to do with Original Sin, that we are all born from Sin and must repent and be saved.

It's a load of bollocks used to control the uneducated masses.

"Organised" religion is synonymous with organised crime and racketeering in my view, Catholicism and the other Christian-based religions are the worst for it (from my limited experience).

Go to mass, support your church, pay your dues, pay for the collection plate, pay for church ceremonies for christenings, baptisms, communion, confirmation, weddings, funderals.
    The celibacy thing was another way to retain the church's wealth.
    If a priest can't have any offspring/heirs, then the land/wealth that the priest controlled can't pass onto his/her children.
    It's a money racket.

Hail Bon Jovi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I urge you all to convert to the cult of Fabuloism. Read more about it Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Cactus Col wrote:
    It's a myth right?
    What exactly is it supposed to be?
    ciaran500 wrote:
    Can someone explain it to me?
    It hasn't existed since long before your birth, don't worry your little innocent selves about it.

Catholic Guilt..it's what peadophile priests *feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SantaHoe wrote:
    Then there's the whole issue of "original sin"... so really there's no way to avoid guilt is there?

Probably not and of course reinfroced by putting us in dark small spaces when we are six years of age with the word "mortal sin" pounding in your brain .
    Most of Catholic teaching revolved the idea of the catechism and of course the Ten commandments. Confession encourages guilt.
    The use of good and bad by the Catholic church is also quite brilliant. Good was not necessarily good and bad was really the only natural state for all of us until it turned to good. The most fondly told parable in my recollection was the "The Prodigal Son".
    Guilt Reinforcement par excellence.

are you like over the age of fifty and living in the stix?
    I never heard of mortal sin til I was in my late teens. (not through schooling either)..and as for original sin, only ever heard about in movies like the magdeline sisters.

keu wrote:
    are you like over the age of fifty and living in the stix?
    I never heard of mortal sin til I was in my late teens. (not through schooling either)..and as for original sin, only ever heard about in movies like the magdeline sisters.

Nope, just read a bit , watched the movies. As for mortal sin try reading "The First Confession" by Frank O'Connor, great story and all the guilt you want in there :D

I got a hug off a priest once, told me he was going to meet me in heaven :)..and that was after I told him about the drugs.
    oh..and then he said your sins are all forgiven..don't be worrying yourself.
    lovely chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

keu wrote:
    I got a hug off a priest once, told me he was going to meet me in heaven :)..and that was after I told him about the drugs.
    lovely chap.

erm??

• Advertisement

keu wrote:
    lovely chap.
    Exactly, all prodigal son stuff :p

:)
    I've returned home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

keu wrote:
    lovely chap.
    I think he was trying to chat you up or something

I was blind, but now I seee..you made a believer out of meee
    I'm movin on up now
    yea light up the darkness
    my love shines on my love shines on my love shines on
    I was lost and now I'm found
    I believe in you
    I got no bounds
    I'm movin on up now..yea..harrrr

Alleluyaaah
    Amen

(thats just came on the radio conveniently)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't Catholic guilt directly linked to original sin - i.e. even if you've never done anything wrong, you're still guilty because Adam, Eve snake, apple etc.?
    The sins of the fathers and all that guff.

I would think "sins of the fathers" would be things like generational "sins"...like the holocaust and such things...?
    I''ll probably be corrected by someone from christianity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe. Only google results I found (after 12 seconds) were about paedophilke priests.

http://www.touched.com/episodeguide/seasonthree/
    touched by an angel episode 301 was titled sins of the father...gives a brief description of the plot..
    the angels know these things.

(lots about george bush too)

keu wrote:
    http://www.touched.com/episodeguide/seasonthree/
    touched by an angel episode 301 was titled sins of the father...gives a brief description of the plot..
    the angels know these things.

(lots about george bush too)
    wonder how you google :confused:
    Here you go, loads of them
    http://www.happinessonline.org/InfectiousGreed/p13.htm

Helps when you know it's a biblical reference :p

• Advertisement

that blue writing is making my eyes go funny. The angels said it better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rev. Lovejoy: This cult is nothing but a pack of wierd chants and rituals designed to take away the money of fools! Let us say the Lord's Prayer thirty times but first, let's pass the collection plate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

keu wrote:
    Catholic Guilt..it's what peadophile priests *feel.
    is that what he told you it was called
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheilak

It's when you feel awful about something you may or may not have done, you're not sure when, how or where. If you're a Catholic you know you're going straight to hell for it, but if you're an Atheist you can feel guilty too, if only for not believing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I thought that it was residual guilt that stays with you about things like sex, drugs, etc, long after you've left the fold? Like you could claim to have rejected Catholicism and all its evil works, but you'd still feel odd about having unmarried sex because it's been drilled into you for years that it's bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

yeah what pet just said makes sense

• Advertisement

I thought that it was residual guilt that stays with you about things like sex, drugs, etc, long after you've left the fold? Like you could claim to have rejected Catholicism and all its evil works, but you'd still feel odd about having unmarried sex because it's been drilled into you for years that it's bad?
    thats not far off parental guilt.
    As an unmarried mother according to the church my child is the spawn of satan..but I don't worry about that too much, perhaps because my parents accept us.
    But what if someone you knew was taking drugs died..and then you felt guilty because of it? Most peoples parents would prefer their children didn't do drugs for that very reason, not because the church doesn't allow it, same with having sex out of wedlock, they don't want to see their childrens lives ruined.
    I think the majority of people here tho live by their parents standards and not by catholoic church standards and don't fear going to hell inso much as fearing letting their parents down.
    There is guilt and there is catholic guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

is_that_so wrote:
    wonder how you google :confused:

http://www.crosssearch.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

God forgives everyone so we are all safe

now people, go do your evil bidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mossy Monk wrote:
    God forgives everyone so we are all safe

now people, go do your evil bidding

That's what we got at school too - "sure, if ye mess up, God'll forgive ye, no worries".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

its a get out clause used by irish people for any reason they see fit.
    i dont think anyone under thirty suffers from it exept possibly brian mcfatten

• Advertisement
Advertisement