Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

slow loading mp3 directory

• 03-01-2005 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced this.... my mp3 dir has 551 sub dirs. Whenever i try open the parent dir it takes almost 3mins to open and display the dir list!

Is there some way of caching this information?

Thanks!
    Adrian

ps im using WinXP SP2, P4, 2.4ghz,512mb ddr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

Discovered the problem. Looks like ive got dreaded bad sectors on the disk :mad:

The bad sectors are living in my \Mp3\MUSE directory! Luckily tho, I managed to backup everything else to another drive.

Does anyone know what Seagates policy is on bad sectors? is it termed 'user inflicted damage'?

I was told i could format the drive and mark the bad sectors, how successful is this and are bad sectors likely to spread/increase?

tnx!
    Adrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you go to scandisk check the box for "attempt recovery of bad sectors" it should mark the sector. I remember reading something recently about modern drives are expected to get bad sectors through there life time and have spare that are used when a bad sector is found.

Advertisement