Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opportunities 2005

• 03-01-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭

It's on in Croke Park from the 14th to the 17th of Jan.
    I'll be looking for a job next May when I graduate (I hope) so I was wondering if anyone has been to it before and if it is any good for sounding out potential employers?
    It's computing I'm doing by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Is it only graduate positions? I've to do a year's industrial placement. Know if it would be worth going out too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

I wouldn't say you have to be a graduate to attend.
    Check out the website and you'll see:
    www.opportunities2005.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anyone tried looking at the jobs from that website? It takes you to the FAS website and is very amateur. You have to register to look at any jobs, and the search method is clumsy at best.

As a potential job seeker, it does not instill any kind of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

you don't have to be a graduate. people like the gardai et al will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Always in black

there are numerous restrictions on the site to prevent tampering. it is only supposed to give an outline of who will be there and description of the firm/educational body. the careers village will be in the hogan stand. entrance on jones road. see site for list of exhibitors. it well catered for. industrial placement included by many firms. probably best to attend at the weekend as secondary schools tend to dominate friday and monday. bring copies of cv to hand out. interviews on the spot with some of the firms, interviews arranged by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is a large amount of things there in which most people will be able to find something of interest. You do tend to get a lot of second level school kids at it. They leave an unbelieveable mess behind them. Jones Road was littered with stuff from the exhibition last year which they had just dumped when they came out. At these kind of exhibitions there are loads of handouts. The basic rule is only take what you actually want and don't dump it outside afterwards. Whatever your stage, it is worth going along to. Peruse the website before you go to help you decide what in particular you want to see.

I definetley won't leave any rubbish after me don't worry.
    I think I'll go on Friday even if that's the day most school kids will be there.
    I'm gambling that most of them won't have a clue and will only be there for the doss.
    Hopefully the people on the stands will be dying to talk to someone who's actually interested in their company and be more receptive as a result!

That is a relief for them I am certain, having been there several times.

Friday would be the day I'd go, if I go. On past experience of this and other similar events, I don't expect much.

schools have to register the ammount of pupils attending and there will be specific time allotments of 3 hours to attend. rubbish monitors will be on duty at all times and most of the handouts will be given by the exit in the cusack stand. every effort is being made to make this an exciting and interesting exhibition with the utmost control over health and safety issues.it is up to the teachers to control their students and up to the students themselves to conduct themselves in a proper manner. only the older students will be attending. this is not a day out for fun. it is true that students to attend mostly on friday and monday and the more mature candidates will go along on sat and sun to explore their options in a more relaxed manner.

• Advertisement

copies of publications such as the college times and evening classes handbook will be avalible at the exit in the cusack stand. if anyone wishes to attend a seminar, they must register on line and collect their ticket on the day. copies of the floorplans will be avalible on the way in, although these may be subject to change...if there are any they will be slight. the list is still being finalised. if anyone has any queries,pm me and i will do my best to answer any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if anyone has any quyestions, they can post them up here so we can all see the answers thanks very much.

this is an information web site. we have nothing to hide here. do we?

grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Is there a door entrance fee for people just going on thier own (like without a class or anything)? If so, how much is it?

What are the opening times?

I checked all over the website and found nothing on either if these. Strange.

P.S. I live up the road from Croke Park (literally a 1 min. walk away). Every year the eejits coming out of the place litter all the roads leading up to it with an amazing amout of flyers. So, please, put your flyers in the bins if you don't bloody want them. Failing that, don't take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

there's no an entrance fee.. (pretty sure of that)
    they open for 9 i think

BTW.. your like 15.. what year are you in 3rd? 4th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

3rd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might go on Monday, thinking of changing college course so would be useful.

Was there today from 10 until 2.
    I was only interested in the careers section of the event and there were
    a good few software companies there but the Education and Skills sections seemed to be bigger. A lot of interest around the eBay stand but they seemed to be more interested in multi-ligual people. I gave my CV to Intel and a few others regardless. As expected, a lot of schoolkids there.
    A worthwhile trip but a few complaints:the staff were a bit huffy and the way it was laid out was very awkward to get around. I had to go all the way down to the front of the Cusack stand for the privelege of paying nine euro for a bottle of coke and a snack box and was not allowed back up the way I came down. Had to go back onto the Clonliffe Road and re-enter through the Hogan stand again. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Somebody's trying to tell me something when I get about 10 fliers for 'Do you want to goto Australia' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ando wrote:
    Somebody's trying to tell me something when I get about 10 fliers for 'Do you want to goto Australia' :rolleyes:
    Beware there is nothing in Australia

• Advertisement
Advertisement