Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Transfering Files onto Blank DVD

• 03-01-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Just a problem I'm currently having, which someone might be able to help me with. A friend of mine got a new laptop last week and he wanted to transfer my 12GB or so of music files onto it. I thought the easiest way to go would be to use 3 rewritable DVD's (3 X 4.7GB would do it) and let him pick whatever he wanted. However I have never used a DVD disc to store data other than movies before and I'm having problems transferring the files onto DVD.

I thought I could just go into Windows Explorer and drag and drop the files like putting data onto a blank CD but that doesn't work. It just says it encountered a problem transferring the file.

I then tried Nero 5.5 which I got free with my PC but never use. But for some reason that doesn't seem to recognise the DVD Rewriter (Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-812S) I installed last summer. It only offers the CD burning facility. I know the DVD Rewriter is fine as I have backed up many DVD's before.

Some of the files are WMA's but most are MP3's. I have WinAmp (but generally use Media Player), maybe there is something I can do with that? Is there another program I can use? Any help/ideas would be really appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Shamrok wrote:
    I thought I could just go into Windows Explorer and drag and drop the files like putting data onto a blank CD but that doesn't work. It just says it encountered a problem transferring the file.

Yeah - that software only works for CDs
    Shamrok wrote:

I then tried Nero 5.5 which I got free with my PC but never use. But for some reason that doesn't seem to recognise the DVD Rewriter (Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-812S) I installed last summer. It only offers the CD burning facility. I know the DVD Rewriter is fine as I have backed up many DVD's before.

If the software was supplied with the machine and the machine has a CD-RW, then it will probably only have CD writing capabilities.

You will need to just get some DVD writing software. Don't know any free ones off hand. Have a google for freeware DVD writing software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks for that. I found a freeware program called "Deep Burner". I'm going to give that a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

nero has a trial for 30 days, the latest 6.xxx version should be available at there site
    after that you could probably pick up an oem version cheaply enough online

Advertisement