Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamezone closing?

Options
  • 03-01-2005 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The shops beem closed and that sign up for a while so i presume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think Gamezone changed its name to Gamestop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They were bought out wasn't it. They have a shop around the corner on henry street so it doesnt make sense to them to have 2 shops in such close proximity.

Of course thast assumeing both shops are the same... not 100% on that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hes not talking about the company that were taken over by Gamestop.

Are you talking about the shop under the brigde or the other one a little further up? The further up one has moved a few doors down so that would explain the FS sign. Dunno about the other one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Demeant0r wrote:
    I think Gamezone changed its name to Gamestop?
    that's gameworld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Gamezone has nothing to do with Gamesworld Liffey St, or Gamestop. Its the place on Talbot street near Bookmart exchange (that also do second hand games). I went there a few weeks ago and the place was almost devoid of games. I guess ever since trading back became the norm at the big shops they couldnt stay in business.

Pity as indy games shops in Ireland are few and far between. Can anyone confirm the for sale sign was on gamezone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yeah i can confirm the for same sign

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Suppose it was only a matter of time really. Just because they're an indie shop, it doesn't mean they could justify €30 for commonly available Dreamcast games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Gamezone... I went there a few weeks ago and the place was almost devoid of games.
    Business as usual then! I won't be too sorry to see them go. Sometimes I went in there and it was alright. Other times in walked in and my scumbag detector started going berserk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah there used to be a really sound guy working in there who id chat to every now and again when buying games, but last time i was in some smug bastard was there who turned me right off that shop, never went back again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only time I ventured inside in the last 2 years was to see if they had any decent saturn games. They didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I used to work there, must be near 2 years ago now...possibly spoke to deadwing, god knows.
    It 'was' a good shop but as things always do, it went bad. It always felt like a closet, dark and whatnot, no one really wanted to just come in and browse.
    Prices of new games were in some cases getting to be more expensive than the chain stores, and the boss was no longer really interested in being fair about trade in's.
    I honestly thought some nice money could easily be made by just marginalising the profits on trade-in's, it would bring in so many more ppl. But even before i left, our s/h games collection was usually pretty dire, and we never had any useful imported games.
    After i left, the boss employed a nice string of asswipes, who none of the customers liked (i had been a semi-assistant manager, in so far as it was possible in there, so i had heard the gripes before) and it was generally a fairly horrible place to go into.

Its a pity to see it disappear, but i'm not hugely surprised. The place up the street which sells games and books belongs to a relative of the owner of gamezone, havent been in it since they did it up.
    One of the few indie stores left i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

well locating yourself in talbot street is the first problem for any shop ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember seeing a budget copy of the budget release of Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1 in there for 70 euros which was ridiculous since it was ten dollars to import from most online stores.

I did get my PSXchange 2 CD from them, which was great. Worked as well as a chip except for the annoying disk swapping.

bugs wrote:
    I used to work there, must be near 2 years ago now...possibly spoke to deadwing, god knows.
    It 'was' a good shop but as things always do, it went bad. It always felt like a closet, dark and whatnot, no one really wanted to just come in and browse.
    Prices of new games were in some cases getting to be more expensive than the chain stores, and the boss was no longer really interested in being fair about trade in's.
    I honestly thought some nice money could easily be made by just marginalising the profits on trade-in's, it would bring in so many more ppl. But even before i left, our s/h games collection was usually pretty dire, and we never had any useful imported games.
    After i left, the boss employed a nice string of asswipes, who none of the customers liked (i had been a semi-assistant manager, in so far as it was possible in there, so i had heard the gripes before) and it was generally a fairly horrible place to go into.

Its a pity to see it disappear, but i'm not hugely surprised. The place up the street which sells games and books belongs to a relative of the owner of gamezone, havent been in it since they did it up.
    One of the few indie stores left i think.

Well if youre the guy who had long-ish curly dark hair, i think i tried to haggle you into selling me the poster of kasumi that was behind the counter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Hey Bugs - did you have short black hair and are you in your early twenties now? You don't have an o in your name do ya?

Long curly black hair sounds like the rather annoying fat bastid they employed, as for someone with o in their name, probably a young chap named neil o' something, "stimpy" for short, cos so was he.
    I was the tall **** who sat behind the counter playing games all day and generally doing little work....i would consider myself the most normal of the bunch that have worked in there.
    It shall not be missed.

bugs wrote:
    Long curly black hair sounds like the rather annoying fat bastid they employed
    Yep, that was him lol. Didnt want to say fat bastard in case it was you. Seemed like an alright bloke tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

bugs wrote:
    Long curly black hair sounds like the rather annoying fat bastid they employed, as for someone with o in their name, probably a young chap named neil o' something, "stimpy" for short, cos so was he.
    I was the tall **** who sat behind the counter playing games all day and generally doing little work....i would consider myself the most normal of the bunch that have worked in there.
    It shall not be missed.
    Hey Bugs, you're not the hippie I had a laugh with once when I came in to browse around and on the radio was the announcement that no WMDs were likely to be found in Iraq after all?...oh yeah, I was looking for SNES and Megadrive games for my 1970s tabletop creation...

• Advertisement

Nah, i was well gone by then, i think i left the summer before the twin towers went kablooey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have to agree with the post about the prices.
    Way too high for a small shop for new and 2nd hand games.
    Reason for Talbot Street was probably the rent.
    Not surprised it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's a game-exchange place just up from where Gamezone used to be on Talbot St, as well as a place in Phibsboro that both do second hand retro consoles and games.

Advertisement