Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Drop out dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

here's my take on this

there has been a frank exchange of views. Sangre and Blut expressed opinions that were contrary to the others on here and as such were automatically taken as being insulting/flaming/whatever. However other than a one liner by Sangre on the 8th the two of them have been offering their honest opinions and thoughts on Zanes situ. Just because it didn't sit comfortably with some people they attacked the opinions and the posters. Sangre from there aggresively defended himself - not, IMO, a bannable offence.

Typically I'd just lock the thread and we'd move on. But there's still useful content and Zane if you reread some of the posts you'll see they weren't aimed at you as a shot but as advice from the other side of the fence.

But this is now a warning. Debate the matter at hand and don't rise to what you perceive as insults. Anyone who responds will be banned. If you've a problem report the post to me and I'll have a look and ban if I deem it neccesary. I'm virtually omnipresent and read all posts as they're made normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TrackeRknacker

yer haha I had no mates for the first week of college either but then i got locked in the student union bar and ended up in a fight with a load of d4's. I took on about 10 of them so I did and after that I robbed one of their cars - fukin nice one too. Was a beamer so it was.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

posted by Exar Khun
    <*eats his popcorn*

only on the internet....................>

:D

seriously tho this is an interesting tread.
    im in 1st arts myself, and can understand where Zane is coming from.

on the subject of D4, they are just normal people, anyone in there position would behave in the same way. they are set up when they come here and have no need to befriend random people who come to UCD, you cannot expect them be be mates with these randomers when they are around people who they have great relationships with from girlfriends to mates of 6 or more years. they will be very friendly in a suitable situation, ive talked to lots of them. i have also been on the recieving end of the snobby **** from d4 types, but you get that every where there is a group of people, its the way human heirarchies and societies work, you just have to get used it. i know it is worse in the college environment but there is no point in letting it get you down and blaming your troubles.

not sure if i can say this [not used these rules, treats of bannings etc] but i really dont appreciate the attidude adopted by Sangre, if he/she is going to defend D4 then he/she shouldnt re-affirm the arrogant and dismissive styereotype that D4 is accused of having.

Zane i think you should stick with it, focus on your course and educating yourself and getting fit, if you play sports, continue and dedicate yourself to it if not, then take one up and go to it every week, id suggest martial arts esp. Brazilian JuJitsu, they are friendly and into what they do [i did it at the start of the year and it was good]. if you do sport regularly it will help your mental state and you will get to know people through it.

chat to people about random things in lectures but nothing to personal or intrusive and then say hello when ever you see them, no worries or anything too big, dont expect too much. i used to expect to make great friends by talking about real things and being nice, but it doesnt happen , when you have that type of attitude then people pick up on it, unconsious bodylanguage,its very subtle. "real" relationships only develop with time and contact.

i thyink you need to learn how to be self sufficient and internally stable, social contact with family, old friends, people you do a sport with and aquaintances from arts should be enough to keep you relatively stable, that is the basis if you creat it, that you can build a decent life upon and base proper friendships and relationships upon.

you seem to be a nice guy with decent skills learned in the past, they will come out again if you get the chance. dont worry about things once you go out and get involved or grab life by the balls then you will be fine. self pity truly does get you nowwhere, i know about that ****, its is f***in hard to get out of them downward cycles. you just have to stand up and do it.

things always change this only a difficult phase that you can grow out of if you know how or if you are lucky, there is no garentee that if you run away and quit that things will be better, coping skills is something that we all need to develop, the likes of Serphina, MrNice guy and piles of people i know and myself have to deal with pretty similar situations, so you are not alone and if you can learn to deal with this you will emerge a stronger and more broad person.
    ill shut up now so
    good luck man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i really dont appreciate the attidude adopted by Sangre, if he/she is going to defend D4 then he/she shouldnt re-affirm the arrogant and dismissive styereotype that D4 is accused of having.

I adopted this attitude because its the only one Zane deserved from his replies.

Great post though. A lot of it is luck aswell, if you happen to run into people you get on with. But you can never truely make friends in a lecture situation, it takes time and effort. You have to meet outside these areas in clubs, bars, nightclubs etc., to give you more to talk about and a common topic.

You need to become self reliant and sufficent. If you ask people to do stuff or hang out or get lunch they can back off and become defensive (sub-consciously sometimes) fearing someone desperate, sad or clingy. Always take the passive approach, e.g:
    'im going to lunch now, wanna join me?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

id suggest martial arts esp. Brazilian JuJitsu, they are friendly and into what they do [i did it at the start of the year and it was good]. if you do sport regularly it will help your mental state and you will get to know people through it.

Yeah they're really nice and down to earth at the Brazilian JuJitsu.I did it at the start of the year but I had to quit it as I got too lazy and neglected my studies and as a result I had to neglect BJJ.
    I wish I hadn't though because it's very enjoyable.I tried it again about a month ago but everyone else was really good and I was pretty crap.
    I'll probably try to take it up again next year.(if I pass my exams,that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

BRING BACK REP THINGYS!!!

aw man transperson, i just wanted to give u a hug after that!
    Casual approach generally good approach, thats kinda what i've found by just talking to ppl in lectures and then ending up going for coffee..or to the library..however that ensued in a fight over a book, of which there was only one left and the s.a. was due like 3 days after...that wasnt good...so lesson to be learnt is don't go to the library with a new friend..as they may soon be a new enemy... :rolleyes: (jk)

seriously we need the rep thingys back... otherwise im gonna av to hunt ppl down to give out hugs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yeah that was a really cool post by Transperson. Unlike so many others out here the likes of Transperson has soul.

Frustration is the exact word to describe how I am at the moment. Third level has been absolutely nothing like I thought it would be and in a weird way I do long for the Secondary School days again. I still believe no matter what some of you may say that there is alot of arrogant people out in this college. Unfortunately in my course Arts alot of people are not getting to know others not because some of you say they have lots of buddies or are a bit nervous, alot just are not bothered in building anything with anyone or even communicate with others which is such a shame. I just wish I could prescribe some people with personality injections which would make people interact with others. Seriously though there is a terrible atmosphere in my course and I don't like it full stop.

I do feel quite down at the moment. I am questioning myself alot but deep down I do have alot of belief in myself as a human being and I do know that there has been so many multiple factors that have made my college experience quite a damp squib. The size of the John Henry Newman (or whatever his name is ) building is horrible for the lonely individual which chars my heart when I walk through it when I see so many what seems like millions of randomers. I feel that I have been very unlucky with the people I've come across as anyone who I have got on well with in this place always has a big group of friends with them already and since I've not come in here with a large group its been near to impossible to build anything with anyone. At the end of day I know its not me with the problem but the horrible factors that have gone against me out here.

Another factor that has left me disillusioned with my UCD experience is that everyone who I know who has started college is having a rocking time and are curently experiencing the best years of their lives, I'm the only who is not. These people go to all sorts of different colleges big and small. For example when I'm in a conversation about college they will be telling me about their endless boozing, trips, parties and getting stoned and when it comes to me all I can say is ''well I went to a few lectures this week and they f**king rawwwked man!''. I fell like a total loser in these situations as I crave more than anyone for a great college experience before the inevitable days of 9 to 5 slavery.

Well my focus at the moment is that I ace my exams in May so I can chill have a jolly good summer, rebuild my damaged soul and to reassess what I'm going to do in the year 05/06. I do have a potential get out clause of a course I am interested in out in DIT but the only downside of the I would have to fork out around 4,000 1 euro coins for that which I do not need. I do feel it is a bit late for having a go at new clubs or societies and I feel I need to relax and make sure I pass these exams in May. Don't worry though if I do come back next year to this hellhole which is 50/50, I do intend to join as many good, motivated and friendly clubs/socs as possible (not the likes of C&E, B&L etc.) which I have a genuine interest in as hopefully I will come across some good people who wiil appreciate what I have to offer as a person and human being.

Please keep the posts coming you can think of anything more to say as they have been so helpful to me (except a certain couple) and even if there is one other person who is in a similar situation or feels crap happens to stumble across this thread and it can give them any encouargement, then its worth it.

Cheers yet again :)

Zane from the2

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Zane, I've been following this thread since it started and I really don't know what to think. TBH arts is undeniably huge, and any of my friends who did arts from school still hang around together and haven't really moved outside of their group. This is in stark contrast to Engineering, where there's six of us from my school there and i might hardly ever talk to any of them. However, it's hard to believe that there's such a bad atmosphere there. I'm half thinking of crashing an arts lecture to see if this is really true.

If you don't mind me asking, how was secondary school? Did you enjoy it? Was it mixed or single-sex? Did you have a smallish group of friends or were you a randomer? I used to hang around with two or three different groups in school, the "nerds", the "not-from-dublin-4" gang as I wasn't from D4 and also the slightly "crazy people". I was known about the place as the computer-nerd who was crap at P.E. but would happily allow my homework to be copied if cans/pints were on the table on the next night out! I also knew a lot of the girls from the neighbouring school from home, so i had my uses! It didn't really bother me that i didn't have one single close group of mates - but this was good when i went to college 'cos I was used to casually mixing with lots of people. Also, apart from the "hard-core" D4's, the gang of us that would go to the pub on a friday night were from D4, and from outside of D4 like me!

How did you get on with people not in a school setting, as in do/did you have a part-time job? I had a great job in the summer of sixth year, which i really loved, being one of eight lads amongst 40 girls, and there were loads of people of different ages, backgrounds and nationalities there. Coming from an all-boys "D4" school where rugby was the only common topic it was a great preparation for meeting all different types of people in college.

From reading what you've said so far, you seem to probably come across as a bit too desperate or else you come on too strong. Usually you'd hear this sort of thing with regards to meeting the opposite sex, but in a lesser way they hold for meeting people in general. How do you start a conversation? Maybe you start by your name or where someone's from - try ripping the piss out of the lecturer or commenting on some eejit in front of you instead. It will bring you across as a casual, fun sort of person. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah that was a really cool post by Transperson. Unlike so many others out here the likes of Transperson has soul.

I just wish I could prescribe some people with personality injections which would make people interact with others. Seriously though there is a terrible atmosphere in my course and I don't like it full stop.

I am questioning myself alot but deep down I do have alot of belief in myself as a human being and I do know that there has been so many multiple factors that have made my college experience quite a damp squib.

At the end of day I know its not me with the problem but the horrible factors that have gone against me out here.
    If you have no friends in your course how the hell are you so cocky?

Just because my advice didn't make you all warm and fuzzy inside doesn't make it any less valid. Life isn't fair sometimes. Perhaps you should start listening to the people who don't have this friend making problem instead of pointing your finger at people screaming 'arrogant d4s!!'
    I'm all most positive its this attitude preventing you from talking to certain people who you could be friends with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Another factor that has left me disillusioned with my UCD experience is that everyone who I know who has started college is having a rocking time and are curently experiencing the best years of their lives, I'm the only who is not.

Well what about other people from your school who are doing arts, I presume there must be one or two at least? How are they getting on, if they're doing better you should try and find out why would be my advice.

Red alert I'll answer as few questions for you.

Well I've come from an all boys school :mad: but in the last 2 years in my school there was the most fabulous spirit and athmosphere amongst us all. I had so many laughs back there and honestly out of a bunch of 70 blokes, there was not one person who I disliked or one person who disliked me which is very strange. Maybe in my first couple years there I would have been one of the shyer types in the so called ''not so cool gang'' but by the last 2 years everyone saw each other as equal and I developed greatly as a person and got along so well with so many people. I'm still in great contact with so many of them today.

I don't work at the moment but funnily enough I'm planning to drop in a few CV's into some shops as my bank balance is getting obscenely low. I've worked part-time in a couple of places and never had a problem communicating with anyone and really liked the people I worked with. Last summer I worked in an office job with a big bunch of girls who were older than me and yet again I enjoyed it. Anything else I've got involved in I've never had a problem relating to people and I'm always up for a laugh.

At the moment most of my friends have started in new colleges or work so naturally I'm seeing less of them which I don't like but I have to expect that people will move on but I'm still in great contact. Most of my friends would be male but in getting along well with the ladies I've had no problems. Out in UCD I feel I get on better than girls than blokes which is strange since I've been in an all boys school for the last six years but I'm 100% straight. In general I feel more comfortable around girls than blokes, don't know why maybe I have some feminine qualities or something?

I was quite shy in my early teenage years but in the last 2-3 years I have grown in confidence with myself and I am alot more outgoing these days. I wouldn't say I'm either loud or shy, I would be one of these blokes totally in between. Maybe subconsciously I'm afraid of reverting back to my shy ways out here by being kinda isolated. Alot of people have noticed a difference in me from the enthusiastic Zane of last September to the confused Zane of February. I am thankful I do have my family and friends around because if I came from outside Dublin experiencing this i would be totally down in the dumps.

I haven't rammed myself down anyones throats out here in the quest to make friends. I have been quite casual trying to get to know people, I haven't gone asking someone for phone no. after 5 seconds of a conversation if you know what I mean. Whenever I start a conversation with anyone it will be about college, I not one of these people who asks a randomer what they did at the weekend sort of thing. Usually I'll talk about coursework, subjects and college all together when talking to someone new. I can assure you I don't do this in a way where I make myself out to be a boring drip. As you said if there is anyone on this planet who takes the piss out of lecturers its yours truly. I have stupid nicknames for them! I keep my conversations sane but I am quite humorous as a person and I usually try to break the ice with someone in a casual manner.

You also said you were thinking about stalling it to an arts lecture to see for yourself the atmosphere. Well you could do that but honestly you would have to be an Arts student day in day out to appreciate what I'm talking about. I myself go over to engineering alot to use computers in rooom 321 as there always seems to be free computers there and I don't know if its just me but I do sense a really relaxed atmosphere over there asnd everyone seems happier, I don't know but I can sense a better vibe.

Slash/ED was asking about people from my old-skool doing Arts. Well my friend is doing Arts aswell, 2 subjects I'm doing aswell. He knows other people out here but he hasn't introduced anyone which is up to him at the end of the day. His problem out here is that he isn't fond of the course and misses quite a few lectures. I had a friend of mine doing Arts aswell but after a few weeks out here he dumped me for no reason and since then I've hardly spoken to him. There are couple of other people doing Arts but different subjects than me thus I hardly see them or talk to them.

Slash/ED was asking about people from my old-skool doing Arts. Well my friend is doing Arts aswell, 2 subjects I'm doing aswell. He knows other people out here but he hasn't introduced anyone which is up to him at the end of the day. His problem out here is that he isn't fond of the course and misses quite a few lectures. I had a friend of mine doing Arts aswell but after a few weeks out here he dumped me for no reason and since then I've hardly spoken to him. There are couple of other people doing Arts but different subjects than me thus I hardly see them or talk to them.

So the others are probably doing a bit better than you? It's probably luck of the draw at the end of the day, they just happened to get talking to sounder people or whatnot, but they're probably the people you should talk to about this if you see them, see what they're doing that you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Zane I haven't read the whole thread and I apologise if this has already been posted but why not take a year out next year?

Lots of new people when ya come back - you already have a complex toward current classmates and that's unlikely to change.

You could earn some cash too, or travel.

Zane I haven't read the whole thread and I apologise if this has already been posted but why not take a year out next year?

Lots of new people when ya come back - you already have a complex toward current classmates and that's unlikely to change.

You could earn some cash too, or travel.

It is something that I have thought about but honestly I do want to get my degree ASAP. I do know what you're on about because a year out working would be something different but I wouldn't want to work just for the sake of it, I would want to be motivated but my heart is in getting this degree and put my first step towards making a good career for myself. If I did come back in 2006 then I could be back to square one aswell. If the people doing Arts are unfriendly and cliquey now they will still be like that in two years time. Another thing is that I also don't have the money to travel but hopefully when I get my degree I plan to go to Australia or USA for a year.

The bottom line is that I don't want to be back here next year. The only reason that I have stayed in this hell hole is that my course in OK and I have a strong idea about what I wan't to get from it. This has been the only reason why I have stayed motivated out in this place. I could have easily given up on my subjects but I go to most of my lectures, tutorials and I do my coursework, this has kept me sane.

Can I take another two years of this? No. These six months have been some of the worst months of my life. Yesterday and today I have talked to absolutely nobody. Its gotten to the stage sometimes I feel like breaking into tears walking around the Arts building amonst the masses. The possibility of the next two years being like this sends a shiver down my spine. My emotions are all over the place at the moment and another two years of that would damage me mentally, the last thing I would need would be depression.

This course I have applied for in DIT sounds good but to take the risk of going there and hating the course is an almighty one. I'm totally in a dilemma as whether to come back to UCD or not and whatever decision I do take its going to be difficult. I can't honestly see the people in my course changing their ways next year. The only thing that could make things better is that I know for a fact there will be a huge failure rate in 1st Year Arts judging by the awful lecture attendances so that will mean that the dossers in this course will be out and it may be easier to come across more motivated friendly people but that is still a big maybe. Also doing only two subjects instead of three and with some more smaller classes could make things easier in terms of class integration. No matter what if I'm back next year I will get involved in genuinely good clubs/socs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I've read the entire thread.

1500 people in our arts year and you don't think the problem is with you?

You're going to have the same problem in DIT, the problem is you.
    The sooner you fix this the better, unless like some here you prefer not to.

This course I have applied for in DIT sounds good but to take the risk of going there and hating the course is an almighty one.

Well it's surely better taking a risk than coming back to something you know you will hate?

How come you're talking to nobody anymore, what about the people you know in the college, doing arts or otherwise? Where are they? Make an effort to meet up with them, even just a lunch or a bit to drink can make all the difference. Also if they've made some friends out there you may get to know them through the people you already know, which could be a good way to start a friendship.

And the award for most philosophically descriptive post goes to...........
    kasintahan wrote:
    I've read the entire thread.

1500 people in our arts year and you don't think the problem is with you?

You're going to have the same problem in DIT, the problem is you.
    The sooner you fix this the better, unless like some here you prefer not to.

Well since you obviously seem to know me so well that you can confidently say that the problem is with me tell us how I can change myself then? Since you know me so well from obviously being in all my lectures, tutorials and been there all the time around me you must see everything that goes on around me and have first hand knowledge of what goes around me so I defintiely think you can help me out easily then. Oh and DIT is completely the same as UCD is it? Yeah what a huge campus that DIT is and with classes of 40 people it is really the same as UCD yeah.

If you don't believe a word I have said in this thread then fine but how can say the problem is with me when you don't experience what I see day in day out. Everything I have said in this thread is completely true and honest. OK it may be too honest for some but I'm an honest person and I have my head more screwed on than your average 19 year old. The point of this thread I'm someone looking for advice on how to fit in to this place. I've described clearly how I feel and what I see everyday in this place. The majority of the responces have been extremely helpful and encouraging. If you don't agree with what I say then cool but don't judge me when you don't know me by saying the problem is me. I know for a fact there isn't a problem with me as a person. The problem is the size of this place and the people I've encountered.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Well it's surely better taking a risk than coming back to something you know you will hate?

How come you're talking to nobody anymore, what about the people you know in the college, doing arts or otherwise? Where are they? Make an effort to meet up with them, even just a lunch or a bit to drink can make all the difference. Also if they've made some friends out there you may get to know them through the people you already know, which could be a good way to start a friendship.

Well with regards to me talking with anyone its simply circumstances. My best mate out in this place hasn't been in for the last week and my very few aquaintances either I never see them anymore or I'd just bump into them the odd time. I've tried the whole routine of asking people to meet up for lectures or a bite to eat. Usually there is ''something up'' where they can't. The fact is that I've got nothing in return from anyone so I've got to leave them be. If I constantly try to meet up with people and get told to politely f**k off then I'll feel even worse about myself. Also there is thing of no one introducing anyone out in this place so I can't get to know people that way either. Tutorials well, in one today I talked with people as always the case when that tutorial is over everyone disperses and you won't see them again for another week. My other tutorials no one bothers to communicate with anyone apart from their pre UCD friend in their tutorial so, I rarely speak with anyone in these tutorials due to no fault of my own (I'm always the one to start a convo or a bit of general friendliness) but other people's couldn't be bothered getting to know anyone attitude. So basically I rarely speak to anyone. It's soul destroying that not even one person in this place has made a genuine effort to get to know me as a person. I think anyone experiencing this would become frustrated. Grrrrrrrrr :( :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Well since you obviously seem to know me so well that you can confidently say that the problem is with me tell us how I can change myself then? Since you know me so well from obviously being in all my lectures, tutorials and been there all the time around me you must see everything that goes on around me and have first hand knowledge of what goes around me so I defintiely think you can help me out easily then.
    Yeah, I'm in 1st Arts lectures with you.
    Oh and DIT is completely the same as UCD is it? Yeah what a huge campus that DIT is and with classes of 40 people it is really the same as UCD yeah.
    Yeah, I spent 3 years in DIT.

Classes vary from course to course. But 25-30 would be average for Science courses. Tutorials are smaller.
    Has disadvantages too...
    No campus, disjointed courses (lectures with 6 hour gaps, sometimes in differennt buildings :eek: ). Depressing architecture (in some buildings, others are 1st class), rotting toilets (literally, with maggots).

Well with regards to me talking with anyone its simply circumstances. My best mate out in this place hasn't been in for the last week and my very few aquaintances either I never see them anymore or I'd just bump into them the odd time. I've tried the whole routine of asking people to meet up for lectures or a bite to eat. Usually there is ''something up'' where they can't. The fact is that I've got nothing in return from anyone so I've got to leave them be. If I constantly try to meet up with people and get told to politely f**k off then I'll feel even worse about myself. Also there is thing of no one introducing anyone out in this place so I can't get to know people that way either. Tutorials well, in one today I talked with people as always the case when that tutorial is over everyone disperses and you won't see them again for another week. My other tutorials no one bothers to communicate with anyone apart from their pre UCD friend in their tutorial so, I rarely speak with anyone in these tutorials due to no fault of my own (I'm always the one to start a convo or a bit of general friendliness) but other people's couldn't be bothered getting to know anyone attitude. So basically I rarely speak to anyone. It's soul destroying that not even one person in this place has made a genuine effort to get to know me as a person. I think anyone experiencing this would become frustrated. Grrrrrrrrr :( :mad: :(

My advice, and you probably wont like it too much, is just keep trying! Don't come across as desperate, but keep talking to people keep politely asking if they'll meet up for lunch and whatnot. You may be told to **** off but are you any worse off than you were before? No, but if you keep trying you could end up seing alot more of the place and seing alot more of people around campus. You may not notice it but I think from what you're saying you just lack a little natural self confidence and as a result are probably a bit shy when talking to people, but you shouldn't be. You seem like a nice bloke so just keep trying really, get some peoples numbers and try to be a little less shy, giving up and walking around days without talking to people because one bloke didn't show up sure doesn't sound any worse than a few polite rebuttals.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    My advice, and you probably wont like it too much, is just keep trying! Don't come across as desperate, but keep talking to people keep politely asking if they'll meet up for lunch and whatnot. You may be told to **** off but are you any worse off than you were before? No, but if you keep trying you could end up seing alot more of the place and seing alot more of people around campus. You may not notice it but I think from what you're saying you just lack a little natural self confidence and as a result are probably a bit shy when talking to people, but you shouldn't be. You seem like a nice bloke so just keep trying really, get some peoples numbers and try to be a little less shy, giving up and walking around days without talking to people because one bloke didn't show up sure doesn't sound any worse than a few polite rebuttals.

I do understand where your coming from and I do appreciate what you say there. At the beggining of the year I was so full of the confidence, could talk to anyone, but now its almost gone. I'm still well able to talk to people but I've lost that enthusiasm that I had at the beggining of the year. Its got to the stage now where its affecting me outside of college because my family and friends have noticed a big change in me. I would like to keep trying but the people who I've encountered are all in their own groups and they won't let anyone in. I can't deal with anymore rejection. I don't want to be like this but its a part of my character trait, I am more senstive than average person and I can't grow out of this. I wish I was one of these people who could take any sh*t thrown at them but I'm not.

My aim is to just focus on passing my exams, have a rocking summer and make the brave decision whether to come back next year or not. I know whatever happens I have a huge challenge ahead of me if I do stay next year. Second year may well be the fresh start I need. I unsure about that course in DIT and I amy well have to stick with what I've got. My only hope is that next year my classes get a bit smaller, things become less daunting and hopefully I will meet a couple of genuine friends but I do know there is no gaurantee that this will happen so I'm still sooo unbelievably confused as what to do.

Dilemma, dilemma, dilemmas :mad:

I can't deal with anymore rejection. I don't want to be like this but its a part of my character trait, I am more senstive than average person and I can't grow out of this. I wish I was one of these people who could take any sh*t thrown at them but I'm not.

Well your problem is, basically as you said yourself, that you simply can't handle being rejected anymore. It's natural but the problem is you are going to get it alot in your life no matter what you just have to keep yur head up. It's stating the obvious maybe, but still. I would imagine you had similar problems when starting primary school and secondary school but you may not even remember it as much as you probably grew into the groups there naturally as time went by, that simply wont happen due to the sheer size of UCD. You need to go out and keep making the effort, even if it may seem **** at times, it will eventually come good for you and it beats going through what you're going through now where you can spend days on your own because one or two people didn't come in. It's difficult and easy to say obviously, but if that is too difficult (And it is definitely not easy) than the sixe of UCD will never suit you. Like I said keep close to the people you do hang out with in UCD and are they doing any better than you? If so, talk to them, just ask them what their secret is and what they're doing that your not, also see if you keep hanging around with them you may get introduced to other people through them which is an easier less pressurised way of getting to know people.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Well your problem is, basically as you said yourself, that you simply can't handle being rejected anymore. It's natural but the problem is you are going to get it alot in your life no matter what you just have to keep yur head up. It's stating the obvious maybe, but still. I would imagine you had similar problems when starting primary school and secondary school but you may not even remember it as much as you probably grew into the groups there naturally as time went by, that simply wont happen due to the sheer size of UCD. You need to go out and keep making the effort, even if it may seem **** at times, it will eventually come good for you and it beats going through what you're going through now where you can spend days on your own because one or two people didn't come in. It's difficult and easy to say obviously, but if that is too difficult (And it is definitely not easy) than the sixe of UCD will never suit you. Like I said keep close to the people you do hang out with in UCD and are they doing any better than you? If so, talk to them, just ask them what their secret is and what they're doing that your not, also see if you keep hanging around with them you may get introduced to other people through them which is an easier less pressurised way of getting to know people.

Thanks Slash/ED. Hugely appreciated. :)

Thanks Slash/ED. Hugely appreciated. :)

new solution. Go to the beers.

everyone else who posted here go as well => new friends.

Even though I havent posted on this for a few weeks I still hate the place but from talking to a few people it may well seem I'm not the only one.

I got talking to a couple of people from the old-skool about college and all that and I heard a few interesting things. One of the lads does Arts aswell and he plans to get out at the end of the year as he hates the course and the college too even though for different reasons than me. Got talking to another old-skool person about college and all that aswell. His girlfriend does Arts aswell thus he would know quite a few people and he said that nearly everyone who he got talking to who does Arts hates the place and want to leave at the end of the year. He does Science and he said that the atmosphere is so much better over there, relaxed and less arseholes.

Even though their reasons are different to mine (I actually think the course is OK) it shows that even though they are only 2 people I've talked to about the course, the general consensus is that there are alot of people not happy in 1st year Arts for whatever reason such as the course or in my case the size of the place and the people. Is the bad atmosphere due to so many people hating the place thus unhappy people not wanting to get to know anyone? I wonder but its just another theory. Maybe next year their may be alot more happy relaxed faces around for me and surely others to interact? Hope so.

Still don't know what to do for next year but I'm looking at things from all different mad angles! Anyone know the dropout/failure rate in Arts out of pure interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's a good chance I'll fail my exams due to my terrible attendance and lack of essays but a part of me doesn't really care.Obviously I don't want to fail but I feel this place is cold and heartless and if I'm not here in UCD next year I'll deal with that.Truth is,I can't wait to get home whenever I turn up to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I dont know exact figures but it's ridiculously high whatever it is. It's the highest in the country, but that does have to be expected since it has such huge numbers in it.

I'm in first Arts too and I think almost everyone is having the same problem as you are. I dont know many people who've made genuine friends in Arts. I've made a few accquaintances but nobody that I'd count as a friend. The only people I know who have made friends are really involved with societies or the fashion show etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭QualderWahl

Hey,

I posted much earlier in this thread and indicated that I was a past UCD arts student who graduated in the late '90s. My degree subjects were Economics and German and my recollection of the drop-out rates after first year are as follows:

Subject: 1st Year - 2nd Year - Subsequent Year(s)

German 230 125 100
    Economics 300 180 160

and derived from the experiences of acquaintances..

English 500 250 240
    History 500 300 270

These figures are conjecture on my part but I believe that they are fairly accurate, unless things have changed drastically in the intervening years. As you can see, the first year drop-out rate was ca. 40-50% with a much smaller reduction in class size in subsequent years. Hopefully, this information will be of some use to you when deciding to continue in UCD.

I don't usually follow threads all that closely but some of you guys posting (Zane, Mr. Nice Guy etc..) remind me so much of myself 8/9 years ago. I will reiterate my advice to make sure that you at least give the first year exams your best shot. You will then be starting next year with a clean slate, rather than the black cloud of previous exam failure hanging over you.

My only other piece of advice is to follow your heart and don't worry about the consequences. I was too worried about disappointing my parents to drop out after first year and actually finished the degree quite successfully. However, if I had the opportunity again, I would have dropped out and transferred to a different university. You need to really evaluate the following (i) do you think you will be able to penetrate the cliques next year and make friends? (ii) are you willing to prioritise academic achievement over friendship / drinking / general college experience?

The one good thing I can say about an arts degree is that it does imbue you with the ability to think and communicate effectively. I have noticed that I approach a problem differently to my more "techie" work colleagues and us arts people are much better at writing documents and reports :)

Anyway, I've rambled on for way too long already. Hopefully, this will give you some insight from someone who has been there and got the t-shirt.

Life is a bitch, full of these dilemmas !! All the best in whatever you decide !

J.

Anyway, I've rambled on for way too long already.

not in the slightest, you have contributed more to this thread and boards in three posts than many do in years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭QualderWahl

Cheers Uberwolf :)

Advertisement