Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Drop out dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I echo what uberwolf said Qualderwahl.I think your advice is very helpful.
    Personally, I intend on working hard over the next few weeks and I'll give the exams my best shot.If I fail,I fail,but I'm going to go down fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its something like one in four people who start Arts don't get a degree.
    Some 1st lecturers will do the old 'look to your left, look to your right, none of those people will be here next year' etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

We have a fairly high failure rate too (I've been a victim :o ) Its about 50% in 2nd year, and about 65% in 3rd year. And they wonder why people dont want to do elec eng! Still, most people do seem to get through in the Autumn repeats thankfully. I think its more due to the sheer number of subjects than anything else though - 10 in 1st year 12 in 2nd, 14 in 3rd and 13 this year. Its hard to study that may all at the same time. Still good luck everyone in getting started on it over the breakuntitled1.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Indeed, i hope i don't become one of those 65% but i may as well book my ticket for the repeats! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea i am pretty sure i'll be back this summer. planning to get the finger out for the last few weeks and hopefully scrape a pass.

*fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I was really interested to know what the drop out rates were because judging by the way things seem to be with regards to lecture and tutorial attendances, I can see absolutely massive dropout rates. In my subjects on average attendances are 40-50% of about 450/60-70% of about 225/20-30%of about 160. I don't know about you but it seems quite abnormal to me.
    My only other piece of advice is to follow your heart and don't worry about the consequences. I was too worried about disappointing my parents to drop out after first year and actually finished the degree quite successfully. However, if I had the opportunity again, I would have dropped out and transferred to a different university. You need to really evaluate the following (i) do you think you will be able to penetrate the cliques next year and make friends? (ii) are you willing to prioritise academic achievement over friendship / drinking / general college experience?

Well luckily for me my parents are extremely supportive of me in whatever decision I decide to take. I more worried about disapointing myself. I know whatever I decide to do it will be risky. With my course I do know what I want to get out of it. I want to achieve my degree and I do not want anything to get in the way of this desire. I can never say if I'll be able to make friends or settle into the place for sure.

Questions (i) I know there is nothing wrong with me as a person so with a bit more luck and involvement in good clubs/socs which I have a genuine interest in I'm confident things may get better but as I well know it will aint be easy thats for sure. Its simply about finding the right people. I know they are out there but with sooo amny people out here its gonna be a challenge.

(ii) I'm not what you would call an absolute party animal but I do like like my odd boozing sessions. However I'm very focused as a person in terms of what I want to get out of life and career so I know I will have to mix these things carefully. Even though I have to be intelligent to be in UCD (eh well I hope!), I'm not what you would call Mr. Academic lets say. I not the greatest studyer in the world and I really need to kick myself up the ass sometimes in order to work. In order to suceed at university you need to have a good time socially if you are to remain happy and focused. At the end of day all I wish is to make 2 or 3 really good mates with whom I can share my college experience with and have a laugh.

Even though this year has been sh*t I have learned alot about myself as a person. Most days out here have been crap but this crap experience I feel has made me stronger as human being and I feel that I will be prepared for alot of things that come up in life. I learned so much about myself that I didn't know about myself before and I feel that this will do me good in the future. I know other people who have basically given up on their studies out here but I've stuck to my guns and for what I lack in amazing academic intelligence I certainly make up for it strength and determination which I'm proud of. I could have easily thrown in the towel in January but I've stuck at it and even though its been crap here I will leave at the end of the year a stronger and more knowledgable person than when I entered in September. There are positives from everthing.
    There's a good chance I'll fail my exams due to my terrible attendance and lack of essays but a part of me doesn't really care.Obviously I don't want to fail but I feel this place is cold and heartless and if I'm not here in UCD next year I'll deal with that.Truth is,I can't wait to get home whenever I turn up to UCD.

My advice to you is not to give up. Do your best to pass your exams so at least your year wont be a waste. If you come out of here with at least your first year passed you will have achieved something and it would put you in good stead for any other course you possibly may think about doing. Do some study over the next 3 weeks. You will be suprised by how much you will have actually learned. In the last few weeks go to all of your lectures and tutorials and do your essays and assignments. By going to your tutorials and by doing coursework you will get 'brownie' points with the department incase you are borderline in terms of passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I was really interested to know what the drop out rates were because judging by the way things seem to be with regards to lecture and tutorial attendances, I can see absolutely massive dropout rates. In my subjects on average attendances are 40-50% of about 450/60-70% of about 225/20-30%of about 160. I don't know about you but it seems quite abnormal to me.

20-30% is a bit low alright, unless it's on very early, but the others are about right, lectures are poorly attended across the board.

edit by mod: pointless post. Just intended to provoke

Eh thanks Sangre for your last post. Don't know what it was about but helpful nonetheless. :confused:

Sorry to ram this stupid thread down your throats for the 243rd time. Well bascially I think I've made up my mind about whether or not to come back. During the 3 weeks off I was chilled, had no worries, felt great about myself but only 2 days back I feel sh*t again. This cannot go on. I've no interest whatsoever in my studies now because of the way things are. I'm going around today with so much anger in me. I'm so pissed off there are certain individuals who I would feel like smacking. I would be the last person on this planet who would hold grudges or hatred towards anyone but thats how I am all of a sudden and its due to the environment I'm in. I can't stick it full stop. If I'm going around here feeling that way I will have no chance of surviving the next 2 years. I've got to be realistic and this place is not the environment for me and I need to get out for my sanity. Deep down I cannot be like this and it would probably be the best for me if i don't come back next year. I don't know what I will do in the future. I'll probably go work or something. I know this is a great opportunity I have got being here studying a degree in UCD but I feel there are more important aspects to life such as happiness. Yes I am afraid of making a mistake in leaving but there is more to life and I need to move forward.

I'm going around today with so much anger in me. I'm so pissed off there are certain individuals who I would feel like smacking.

Maybe some other people feel like doing the same as you. From what i heard (actually asking a few mates on foot of this thread) it does get a lot better in 2nd year arts - i still think the only way to meet people in arts is through clubs and socs. Still if you're decided on going, well done for making your mind up and hope the next place is a bit more fun :)

• Advertisement

Well I'm 90% that I won't come back. You can never tell what Zane will do next and I have the ability to change my mind all the time so I can't rule out not coming back but frickin' hell I certainly don't want to be back.

I came home today absolutely distressed and in a foul mood. I never felt so bad in absolutely ages. Had a slanging match with my mother about something unrelated to this and I used the F word numerous times to her. I've never done that before and very ashamed of myself. That is an example of this place has brought the worst out of me. It can't go on coming home nearly every day feeling absolutely crap and being miserable. There is so much out there to see and do. I cant take a risk of of spending the next 2 years coming home every day feeling like sh*te. I'm already worried that I am becoming depressed. Within the space of 2 days i've transformed form being the normal happy me to the miserable of today. There is more to life than college. I think year in the workforce would be positive for me. I'm also going to have a look at PLC courses. I don't know if I can do any of them at this stage but I'll check them out nonetheless.

We need to do this UCD Boards Beer meet-up. No more polls or any of that. How about all us students agree to meet up this Friday around 1 or so in the Student Bar and we'll have a few beers and play a few games of pool? It's not like we won't have anything to talk about since most of us seem to be doing hardly any study and we all seem to enjoy having a good rant about UCD.

Anyone interested? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Erm...

maybe?

yeah maybe. 1's not bad - i might even do some study after!

Come on, we've heard plenty of maybe's on this before! Commit people, commit!

eep!

So can we all agree on 1pm on Friday in the student bar? On Fridays alot of people tend to go home so the bar shouldn't be too full I don't think.

How about we agree to stand at the end of the bar or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I might be able to do that I'll see what time I'm going to go home at on Friday and see if I can make it out.

Hmmm...drink you say? Pool you say? Well that can only make studying easier - I'm in! We can get nice lunch too if its in the old bar :) I reckon we need to know the colours of peoples jackets or something so we'll know who's who- I'll be wearing a lilac ski jacket kinda thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Black dinnery jacket type thing my long hair and beard might also be a good point of reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probably my UCD TKD jacket here.

I will be wearing dead kittens around my neck & colourful socks!

I'll be wearing a black leather jacket and maybe a turtleneck, stylish as I am. ;) Where will we see each other? At the end of the bar maybe?

Also, who's in for this? I can make 1 o'clock on Friday since my last lecture ends at 12 but I don't wanna be left hanging around on my own. :D

Well the food end of the bar will be real busy at 1 o'clock, so the other end with the bar is prob a good idea. I'm all for the far end of the bar where the pool tables are. I'll print up an A4 sheet saying "boards - get on board" or something like that, and if we get a table I'll stick it in the middle of it. So if anyone gets in and can't find anyone, just wander around the tables looking for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Zane, i've briefly looked over this thread and have a query/suggestion for you and others who don't enjoy UCD arts.

Transfer to another college, my suggestion would be Maynooth for arts. It is pretty strong in Geography (which Zane seems to have an interest in), but it's also much much smaller than UCD and a more friendly place.

If you live on campus you make plenty of friends there, or living in a house with people is also good. The nightlife is pretty college orientated too i.e. there's only so many places to go out in on a wed/thur night so you're bound to run into someone from your course and just strike up a conversation with them, where as in UCD there's no real focal point for student nightlife to my knowledge.

I'm not saying Maynooth is the be all and end all but it could be an opportunity to continue doing a course you like in a friendlier environment.
    You should check out other colleges too.

Once you get your exams in the summer there's generally no problem transfering colleges.

Have you looked into anything aside from DIT?

ixus.

huge navy overcoat, and glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

My personal reccomendations would be a)sunglasses, mustache, dogdy looking wig....or b) jeans and an abercrombie and fitch jumper-really stand out from the ol crowd there.... :rolleyes:

Nothing but a smile.

ixus wrote:
    Zane, i've briefly looked over this thread and have a query/suggestion for you and others who don't enjoy UCD arts.

Transfer to another college, my suggestion would be Maynooth for arts. It is pretty strong in Geography (which Zane seems to have an interest in), but it's also much much smaller than UCD and a more friendly place.

If you live on campus you make plenty of friends there, or living in a house with people is also good. The nightlife is pretty college orientated too i.e. there's only so many places to go out in on a wed/thur night so you're bound to run into someone from your course and just strike up a conversation with them, where as in UCD there's no real focal point for student nightlife to my knowledge.

I'm not saying Maynooth is the be all and end all but it could be an opportunity to continue doing a course you like in a friendlier environment.
    You should check out other colleges too.

Once you get your exams in the summer there's generally no problem transfering colleges.

Have you looked into anything aside from DIT?

ixus.

Maynooth isn't something I've thought about TBH. I don't know what exactly my position would be if I was to transfer to there as I do Sociology and Information Studies out in UCD and I don't know if they do those subjects out there. I have heard that Maynooth is a friendlier college and more intimate which would suit me but there would be difficulties going there and the amin one would be commuting which would take me around 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours wheras it takes me an hour on average to get to UCD which is good considering I come from the northside of the city. Staying out on campus there could be the solution to that but I would be reluctant to do this as I would be afraid that I could have a similar experience out there and if i was away for mmy family and friends I would be completely lost. Thats the one thing I consider myself lucky that I havent had to travel from the country out in UCD or I would have been f*cked. Saying that it would be something I will look into. I think what I'll most likely do is go and work for a year. It would be different and would do me good. I think I need a year away from the education as I've got totally bored with my course and I have no motivation to study. I'm planning on looking at PLC's and other courses that would be something different and more exciting in comparison to the daily grinding routine of lectures. Thanks for your suggestion and I will look into it.
    Also, who's in for this? I can make 1 o'clock on Friday since my last lecture ends at 12 but I don't wanna be left hanging around on my own. :D

Perfect for moi. I finish at 1 tomorrow so I'll be there despite the fact I've got a horrible Information Studies assignment on thesauruses due at midday tomorrow which I will never get done and I'll feel really bad consuming alcohol instead......... yeah f*cking right! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

My cuz travels out from the Northside, Artane, he gets the train i think, says it isn't bad. I know there's also daily buses from some areas in Northside 'cos there's so many commuting.
    Living out here's the best option though man, you would end up livin with 4/5/6 people, headin out with them, meetin other people here is much easier especially when you live here.
    And they definetly have geography and sociology, so if you transfered after 1st year into 2nd and they were your choices you'd be grand. i think you can alos specialize in 1 i.e.Geography.

Best of luck whatever! enjoy the beers!

Advertisement