Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Drop out dilemma

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Perfect for moi. I finish at 1 tomorrow so I'll be there despite the fact I've got a horrible Information Studies assignment on thesauruses due at midday tomorrow which I will never get done and I'll feel really bad consuming alcohol instead......... yeah f*cking right! :D

good stuff see ewe there excuse spelling meee doing survivor challenge full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

hey, I had a similar problem this year, I'm not in UCD, but was studying something which I thought was what i wanted. Hated the college I was in from day one(it was by no means a big place i mean there were 30 people in my year!), just hated the whole atmosphere and didn't get a good vibe.Stuck with it until christmas, but the longer I was there the less interested i was in the course, despite the fact that i thought this was what i wanted out of life. Anyway I left in january and it has been the best decision of my life. Taking a break since then, just working away gretting a bit of money together for next year and have reapplied, this time for UCD arts. Toughest decision of my life buy think i've done the right thing. Basically my advice is if you're not happy don't stick with it, trabsfer or even take a year out just to get your head together then go back, i really think it'll make such a difference to you. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

elle wrote:
    hey, I had a similar problem this year, I'm not in UCD, but was studying something which I thought was what i wanted. Hated the college I was in from day one(it was by no means a big place i mean there were 30 people in my year!), just hated the whole atmosphere and didn't get a good vibe.Stuck with it until christmas, but the longer I was there the less interested i was in the course, despite the fact that i thought this was what i wanted out of life. Anyway I left in january and it has been the best decision of my life. Taking a break since then, just working away gretting a bit of money together for next year and have reapplied, this time for UCD arts. Toughest decision of my life buy think i've done the right thing. Basically my advice is if you're not happy don't stick with it, trabsfer or even take a year out just to get your head together then go back, i really think it'll make such a difference to you. Good luck!

Fair play to you for making the brave decision to leave your college. To make any decision like that takes guts and you should congratulate yourself big time. I decided to stay in a hope things would get better and also for the fact that I liked the course. Well things haven't really got better, still felt completely unsettled in my 2nd semester. Even though during the last 3 weeks I got talking to more people in my course and some cool people who post here, I still feel like I don't belong out here. Also what is significant I lost interest in the course and have done very little study for my exams which is not usually like me as I have always been a strong studyer for exams. So maybe my decision to stay was not the best move but we have to take chances in life. I'm definitely thinking about taking a year out ot work and do something different with my life. I'm really 50/50 as to whether I'll be back next year (providing I pass my exams which isn't looking great now :( ) Anyway when you go to UCD please learn a few things from this thread. Be prepared for anything. You may like it, you may not like it but I strongly encourage you to do your best to get involved in college life (clubs/socs definitely the way to go) and make the best of your time out here.... and study for your exams unlike me!

Fair play to you for making the brave decision to leave your college. To make any decision like that takes guts and you should congratulate yourself big time. I decided to stay in a hope things would get better and also for the fact that I liked the course. Well things haven't really got better, still felt completely unsettled in my 2nd semester. Even though during the last 3 weeks I got talking to more people in my course and some cool people who post here, I still feel like I don't belong out here. Also what is significant I lost interest in the course and have done very little study for my exams which is not usually like me as I have always been a strong studyer for exams. So maybe my decision to stay was not the best move but we have to take chances in life. I'm definitely thinking about taking a year out ot work and do something different with my life. I'm really 50/50 as to whether I'll be back next year (providing I pass my exams which isn't looking great now :( ) Anyway when you go to UCD please learn a few things from this thread. Be prepared for anything. You may like it, you may not like it but I strongly encourage you to do your best to get involved in college life (clubs/socs definitely the way to go) and make the best of your time out here.... and study for your exams unlike me!

It's weird how alike our situations are. I recently have been looking at the CAO handbook and am seriously considering dropping out of UCD and getting another course. If by some miracle I pass the exams, I will likely stay at UCD and work my arse off next year but if I fail I have two choices - repeat in August or just leave altogether and repeating doesn't appeal to me at all really. I echo your sentiments too. If anyone is reading this who is seriously considering applying for Arts at UCD, I urge him/her to join the societies and clubs and make an effort in the first few weeks! Also, study!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Sure we all have doubts, I was thinking of dropping out and enlisting in the military this year, but I want to get a college education first and then see where my head is at. I guess what I'm trying to say is we all have doubts, college is a big change and I am of the oppinion you get back what you put in so next year I hope to be way more proactive in my acedemics and social life, because as my dad keeps reminding me I have an oppertunity that he never did and I should enjoy it to the fullest. Next year, after getting the straight scoope(how stuff is run) round here from first year I hope maximise my time at UCD and Zane and all others with doubts with goodluck with the exams and I hope to see you guys round campus (Elle too). Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I strongly suggest you lads do the repeat exams in august if it comes to that. It's no big deal either, hundreds and hundreds, maybe even over a thousand 1st yrs are in the same boat :D. It makes it a lot easier for you... even if you decide to leave. They're quite easy, the examiners go easier on you, they'll definitely pass you for putting in the effort. It puts you in good standing with the college, means you can stick it on your cv if anyone asks what the hell you were doing for that particular year.... otherwise it'll dog you for years - even if u go on a successfully complete another course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

Re the very first post: I know exactly how you feel. I'm sorry now I didn't find this place til after the end of the year. But if you stick around I'd be delighted to get to know you! I always have free hours here there and everywhere, and am usually around campus. Whadda say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Wow, never knew anyone else felt the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I met a girl through work this year who feels the same too.

Getting involved in stuff really helps. I threw myself into talking to people in my lectures and went to a few society things, got drunk, called people the wrong names, fell over... it worked out ok. College always has the potential to feel really lonely. Really lonely. But it's not just college, life is a bit like that too. Rolling with the punches makes a big difference.

If you're not happy with your course/college/whatever, be as brave as Elle and drop out. Do it by January and you lose half a years fees. Other than that, there's no real harm or foul. And maybe you'll learn something substantial from the experience.

To be honest, there are still times when I think of dropping out - but they pass, and life's not an easy ride but you get what you give, in my opinion.

Plus, I'm always up for new friends! If you can get over the intimidating thing... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gwyllin

Actually I am a bit nervous that I won't like the course, won't fit in, won't be motivated and so on. Is it possible, if you drop out for some reason, to be transferred to another course that was, say, your second option? That is, if you want to drop out after the first week or so.

• Advertisement

I completed my first year in UCD then transferred to UCC to second year of the same course with relatively no hassle!

What? Am I seeing things? This can't be happening? Is it still January and not August? Wooooooooooo!!!!! I'm still in 1st year and I still have 4 months to study for my exams in May!!!!!!!!! I knew Groundhog Day was based on a true story..... just knew it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

creepy, innit?!

And I'm the ghost of drop-out dilemmas past.
    But then I'm so lazy that I can't get it together to give you any kind of moral to the story so... figure out something yourself, and quit hassling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've read this whole thread now, painful as it was, lol... I'm hopefully going to UCD next year(assuming the points don't jump by 70, lol), and I'm kinda afraid that I'll end up in the same boat! I'm a friendly enough guy, and I feel that I can strike a conversation up with someone, but I don't know.. 'twill be scary! Alot of people from my school will be going here too, so I guess if I fail to make friends, I'll always be able to fall back on them. I love them and all, but I want to make lots of other friends. One plan of mine is if we're sitting in a group, and I see someone sitting on their own looking lonely, nearby, then I'll start talking to them, and drag them over to sit with us all! :D It's a sly way of making new friends from the security of my own circle! Plus, I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture.

I hope everything works out for you Zane! Good luck!

p.s., I don't like the way you say "D4/southside", like we're all the same! I'm from Tallaght, which happens to be on the Southside, and we are far from the likes of D4-heads :p The South is fairly diverse, so don't say "D4/southside", just say "D4" -- cos that's the main location of the snobbery :p Tallafornians aren't upper-class for the most part.

BTW, does anyone know if there's many people from Tallaght in UCD? I hear they're like gold-dust, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

im a friendly gal, and done my best to fit into UCD. i done arts, loved the subjects i was doin but the course content and some lecturers were krap. i couldnt stand others looking down there noses at me. "daddy got me this, that and the other". it drove me insane, i ended up droppin out in april. im starting DIT this year. cant wait. people are sooo much more friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DaveMcG wrote:
    BTW, does anyone know if there's many people from Tallaght in UCD? I hear they're like gold-dust, lol
    *waves*
    I'm from Firhouse. :)

I'm sorry, but I'm actually offended by that Misticles. I'm in Arts, almost all of my friends are too, and while there are some people like that in Arts, they're likewise everywhere else. The concentration may be higher in UCD because of its location, but that doesn't mean that people with similar attitudes aren't all over the country. Blaming your experience on the existence of a stereotype is unfair to all of those who appear to fit the stereotype because you don't get to know the person behind it and likewise is unfair to the rest of Arts students because it gives the impression that we're all the same when the facts prove much differently.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it wasn't the existence of people who lived in D4 who made it so.

Dave, don't worry, if all else fails, we'll mind you! (Well, we is just me at the moment, but I'm sure lots of other people will join with me in the sentiments!)

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'm actually offended by that Misticles. I'm in Arts, almost all of my friends are too, and while there are some people like that in Arts, they're likewise everywhere else. The concentration may be higher in UCD because of its location, but that doesn't mean that people with similar attitudes aren't all over the country. Blaming your experience on the existence of a stereotype is unfair to all of those who appear to fit the stereotype because you don't get to know the person behind it and likewise is unfair to the rest of Arts students because it gives the impression that we're all the same when the facts prove much differently.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it wasn't the existence of people who lived in D4 who made it so.

In fairness, Misticles' experience is hardly rare. You only have to read this thread to see that. There are some truly horrible snobs in this college.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

blush_01,
    tbh i wouldnt wish UCD on any normal joe soap! cos its extremly hard fitting in when mammy and daddy dont finance your every move. i didnt want to get to know these type of people because of their attitudes and the way they treat normal people! theyr far too snobby. well DIT is a far friendlier place much more personal and better atmosphere! and i didnt blame my bad experience on these D4 people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

*waves*
    I'm from Firhouse. :)
    ...And HappyCrackHead (you won't know him, he hasn't posted on boards in AAAGES) is from the Belgard area.

So, no, there is not a dearth of Tallaght ppl. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I must agree with Mr Nice Guy, UCD has a far larger amount of complete fools than other colleges do. UCC only has the wans who THINK they're snobs but at least their burbury bags are FAKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

But you have to remember that in a college of 20,000 or so and a course of 1,300 you're inevitably going to get a large population of idiots. But you also have a large population of nice, friendly people that you just have to find!!

And I'm from Knocklyon which is relatively near Tallaght! And there's a good few people from around me that go there too.

Thanks Beany! I'm a normal Joe Soap, and love UCD. Sure, there are people in my classes who are as you described, but for every one of them, there are five or more who're nothing like that. It depends on where you hung out, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im from Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

In fairness, Misticles' experience is hardly rare. You only have to read this thread to see that. There are some truly horrible snobs in this college.

Its not exactly common either. Over 20 THOUSAND students in UCD, theres not *that* many that would drop out a month before their exams just because they felt they were being looked down on by other students.

Yes there are some horrible snobs in the college, there are horrible snobs in every college. You just get on with things. I have made plenty of friends in college, some from the southside, some from the northside. If you automatically label someone because of where they live then more fool you, because you are the only one who will be missing out.

And yes I am fully aware that soem of these "D4 heads" are far too quick to do it too. So what? Make other friends. Its not as if everyone in the college is from the Dublin 4 area. Its a big place lads, very easy to avoid people, especially in arts.

Why oh why has this popped up again?

I stand by every little single word I said about my opinion of most people in my course.

Some people are having a go at me for generalising. I don't care TBH. We all generalise in life. You can't give a description to every single indiviual to put a point across so you have to use what I would call ''constructive generalisation.'' IMO people from the D4 and southside areas of this city are generally more unfriendly, cold and cliquey in comparison to people from the north of the city and country people and completely and utterly stand by that. That's the truth but some people don't seem to like a bit of blunt honesty on this site. Yes there are some absolutley lovely southsiders (I know some who post here) but from my course most of the people who were cliquey, distant and not sociable outside their own class or social standing most of the time had a posh accent, knew loads of people, dressed with a rugby shirt, highlights in hair, fake tan etc. etc. etc. It's no coincidence folks. On the other side of the coin the people who had a bit of warmth always were country people or northsiders. That's no coincidence either. I've talked to alot of people since May who are current or former UCD students and they have said the exact same things to me about a certain stereotype of people and this topic only seems to relate to UCD because no one I know have said anything about similar atmospheres in any other university and college.

Sadly in Arts it appeared that this cliquey cold culture spread to absolutely everyone in the course. Even the people with a bit of warmth to them had no urgency to really to get to know anyone apart from the rare 2 minute small talk chat. When there's such a dire atmosphere like that in any course (especially one with 1,200 students) anyone who is lost would feel trapped and get the same impression. *

*I'm gonna be the Kevin_rc_ie of the UCD thread aren't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So what are you doing? Have you applied for that other course or wha?

I guess some people just get lucky and meet the nice people first, so they don't care when they meet the not-so-nice ones.

Or maybe I just get so hyper that I don't notice and bounce on regardless... Ignorance is bliss! :D

Advertisement