Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's One For Ya...

Options
  • 03-01-2005 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Has anyone ever bought a record based purely on the album cover?

What was it?

Was it any good?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

Has anyone ever bought a record based purely on the album cover?

What was it?

Was it any good?

:confused:

i bought the single 'come on eileen' cos of the cover cos i thought it was something else...
    still one of my favourite songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I didn't buy it just based on the cover, but had I not wanted it anyway there's a good chance I would have bought Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol based on it. And I would have been very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

I would have bought Smell the Glove by Spinal Tap for its cover, but we all know what happened to that! And I suppose it would have been great, might not have topped Big Bottoms though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bheansidhe

*My first Tom Waits album

*My first Kate Bush album and the last (RedShoes)

*Most recently I bought "The Killers" debut cd only having heard "call me mr. sunshine" ......... ps* Was not a let down - the cd kicks some serious rock ass.

Hey Sinister! Happy New Year to you ya big dark meanie :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chupacabras

I do it all the time and it usually pays off, the ones that spring to mind are Josh ritter "Golden Age of Radio", Screaming Trees "Dust", Pavement "Wowee Zowee" and Richard Hawley "Lowedges".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LeonaK

"My first Kate Bush album and the last (RedShoes)"

Hi Christi! I really like Kate Bush.. but that's not a great album to start off with! It's good (I like it anyway) but not her best... Some good songs on it. I like "Lily" and "Eat the Music".
    How's the book sales going?? I just finished reading a book about an author and her trials in tribulations with agents, publishers etc.. it was funny and it made me think of you :D

Now.. albums I've bought on the strength of the cover. Yes - I did it about a week ago. VERY bad choice..Veerrrrry poor. I wanted to buy some cool Japanese rock music and I was in this wee record shop in Siatama. I choose one where the band definately LOOKED rock. Mother of Jehovah.. it's awful ****e altogether. It's "modern" soul music (is there anything worse?). You know the black fellas in white suits on MTV... singing 24 syllables in the word "love" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I bought the hope of the states on the strength of they're excellent opening song (black amnesiacs) and really cool album art. unfortunately all the other songs had singing in it and that guy is just plain awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I'm sure i heard Glen Hansard talking about doing that.. sinister petes alter ego....glen hansard :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bheansidhe

LeonaK wrote:
    Hi Christi! I really like Kate Bush.. but that's not a great album to start off with! It's good (I like it anyway) but not her best... Some good songs on it. I like "Lily" and "Eat the Music".
    How's the book sales going?? I just finished reading a book about an author and her trials in tribulations with agents, publishers etc.. it was funny and it made me think of you :D

Hey Leona! How are you? Thanks for the reply, the questions, and the kind thoughts... :o you are a sweetie!

I've been a fan of Kate's for the longest time and am such a "fan" that I am still hoping that she'll release a new album some time in the near future - Ha! What's it been now - 10 yrs! My first "Bush" album was Lionheart, which I still love and listen to, and the last that I purchased was RedShoes - I like that one but it's not one of my all time favorites from her, I much prefer The Sensual World or Hounds of Love.

As for the book: The offcial release it January 29th but its available on line through the publisher's website at a discount - oh big woop a big 4 dollars of the retail price - which will be $29.95 U.S. * Don't ask me what that comes to in Euro because that's like asking what my weight is in stones! :D
    Still haven't received the writer's copies that they publisher promised :mad: so my hands are tied when it comes to getting a jump on trying to promote it... Needless to say I've posted a few "hurry the hell up and post them!" emails.

As for the rest of all book related nonsense - I'll keep ya posted ;)

Take Care of You...

This is supposed to be about album covers!

I'm not sure many racists would have bought Metallica's black album on 1st glance, maybe it was something to do with the music they play.....

• Advertisement

or maybe its because they're sh1te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LeonaK

scarfacemj wrote:
    This is supposed to be about album covers!

Eeeeezzzy there lad...
    Think of a happy place ;)

I bought Travis' "The Man Who" without having heard any of the songs and I was swayed by the cover... I liked the album too. Pity they've done nothing since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Soltra

Green Day - Dookie

That turned out well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AndreasRose

What else? Whipped Cream and Other Delights - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

See it here... http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/BigImg/wc.jpg

This record was once ubiquitous in the use records sections of the Value Village and other Victoria BC junk stores. An acquaintance papered an entire wall of his accommodations with this album cover.

P.S. A nod and a wink to Sinister Pete

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

indeed i have. twice, no less!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000296JB/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/103-3223116-9616638?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174
    incubus - make yourself
    fabulous album. i now own everything they released, even the horribly bad first album (not science, the incubus suckubus or whatever it is)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004S8BH/qid=1108930759/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-3223116-9616638
    mdfmk - self titled
    great album from an industrial-rock spin-off (of kmfdm). i heard bad things, bought this upon seeing the cool cover. never looked back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Wow another KMFDM appreciator, didn't think I'd ever find another one. Can't say I'm really impressed with MDFMK, its just a bit too...metal for me. I think I'm bias toward their more electronic-y stuff, Megalomaniac, Juke Joint Jezebel et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

I saw KMFDM ages ago. Interviewd one of them too, Sasha? Was that his name? Big into industrial I was. Still am, but you can't hear it anywhere plus all my best records are STILL in Canada! I want Skinny Puppy! I want 1000 Homo Djs!

As for albums I bought on cover, Psychic TV was one and another was Westworld which became Spear Of Destiny I think.

So there ya are.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    I didn't buy it just based on the cover, but had I not wanted it anyway there's a good chance I would have bought Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol based on it. And I would have been very happy with it.

Likewise for The Rags first EP.... I heard of the band and that they are decent fellas, never any of their stuff. Plus I like the album cover a load.

Still havn't gotten a chance to listen to it yet though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Your right Pete industrial is one of those forgotten genres that not many poeple talk about. Hopefully that should change somewhat when NiN's forthcoming tour launches into full swing.
    I saw KMFDM ages ago. Interviewd one of them too, Sasha? Was that his name?
    Yup Sascha Konietzko, pretty much the driving force behind the band. I'm curious, what was he like to talk to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles... I have no defence against giant robots. Worked out well.

The same policy didn't do so well for me with Lost Prophets - Fake Sound Of Progress though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭snowy (REAL)

Cuts from the crypt By the Misfits..
    It had a cool mummy thing on the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bored101

I bought Elliot Smith's "from a basement on the hill" this christmas, cos i liked the cover.
    it's one of the best i've got this year so far, of course when i was 10 I bought eternal "power of a woman" for no reason except the cover and that was **** even when i was 10... so i guess it's luck of the draw :confused:

worst thread ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 malcontent

i didnt buy the album for the cover art...but mars volta has some crazy album art. im pretty sure the artist of the pink floyd albums does it. check them out!! everyone they are grande......

hi pete! its me.....vic.......your sister halflike......:) im waiting for phantom fm to come back so i can listen via the internet. later days! sometime soon i hope.
    p.s. where in canada are your records?!?

Advertisement