Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beneath a Steel Sky

Options
  • 03-01-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Any Boarders playing any Adventure clickie games at the moment?

I dug out "Beneath a Steel Sky" and it looks like a right classic. I'm using ScummVM 0.70 for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

For those who don't yet know - you can legally download a free copy of beneath a steel sky to play with ScummVM

get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/BASS-CD.zip?download
    (67mb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I heart that game....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Stephen wrote:
    For those who don't yet know - you can legally download a free copy of beneath a steel sky to play with ScummVM

get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/BASS-CD.zip?download
    (67mb)

Yep, thats where I got it. It's talkie version and is quite good. Anyone play this when it was first released... on Amiga or PC? Its supposed to be a huge game with well over a 100 screens in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

yeah, it's a great game - one of my favourites ;)

Which version did you have - Amiga or PC? Both can work on ScummVm (use the Amiga flag).

I never played it on the Amiga but as far as I can tell there are 15 floppies for it (not the CD32 version). At least it's now harddrive installable.

But the PC version seems fine....

Just a thought... lure of the temptress was also released by the same team and also available for free download from the underdogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I bought this game a few years ago after loving the first Broken Sword and hearing that it was by the same developers, I couldn't get it to run on my PC though :(
    Must try this version..

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Lure of the Temptress is pretty cool...weird-ass game though...

steviec wrote:
    I bought this game a few years ago after loving the first Broken Sword and hearing that it was by the same developers, I couldn't get it to run on my PC though :(
    Must try this version..

Steviec,

You could try the Amiga version using Winuae (15 floppy version -> hardfile) or use the CD32 version via google. Or get the file from scummVm (as per Stephen's link) which should definitely work. Music, Voice it all works fine.

Here's a nice ingame shot where I am now. I like my sidekick joey. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He's not yet captain welder. That part of the game annoyed me. Don't know how many times I heard the WD40 jokes before i finally found what I was supposed to be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Retr0gamer wrote:
    He's not yet captain welder. That part of the game annoyed me. Don't know how many times I heard the WD40 jokes before i finally found what I was supposed to be looking for.

Great game that. Real noddle scratcher sometimes, dont make um like they used to :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The screen shot just reminds of how old the game is.

I'm going back to adventure games (well, a new one I cant remember the name of) once I finish KOTOR (the first one - after giving it a good run in the last week, I'm nearing the end now).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're into adventure games, I highly recommend the latest broken sword game - The Sleeping Dragon. They made the move to 3D but the game hasn't lost anything through it. You should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Only played BASS once, i was more a monkey island man myself.

'how appropriate, you fight like a cow'. Legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Stephen wrote:
    If you're into adventure games, I highly recommend the latest broken sword game - The Sleeping Dragon. They made the move to 3D but the game hasn't lost anything through it. You should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply by now.
    It's €15 on PC budget now. I've seen it for €20 on the PS2 in Smyths also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had the 15 disk version on the Amiga. It wasn't too bad as it used the order of the disks intelligently. It wasn't like Monkey Island 2 where you have to swap disk 3 with disk 8 and disk 8 with disk 5 just to see a gob of spit go accross the room.. then you change back to disk 3.

But I only got to complete BASS recently by running it through eSCUMM on my phone...

The SCUMM emulator is great though. I got a big Lucas Arts bumper pack off eBay with The Dig, Day of the Tenticle, Sam and Max and Grim Fandango. SCUMM Vm can't do Grim Fandango though...

I loved playing through The Dig again though...

Advertisement