Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walther g22

Options
  • 03-01-2005 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

i am looking to buy my first gun, the one i had in mind is the walter g22(priced at e550). is this a practical buy for a newbie like myself and is the price alright?.
    i open to any suggestions and opinions.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on what you want to do with it, obviously :D
    Myself, I would have suggested starting with a single-shot .22 instead to learn the basics of target shooting, something like a BSA martini if money's tight. But, as with all things, it does depend critically on what you want to do. The G22's not allowed for use in ISSF competitons; I don't know if there's a semiauto class for silhouette shooting; so it's really more a casual plinking rifle, or for bunny-scaring. From what I've heard, it's quite good at those, though if you're left-handed, you don't want to get a right-handed model, or you'll scare your teeth more than the bunnies when the action cycles...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

i would like to get into the target shooting, been using my friends gun a lakeside 10/22, not sure of model number. it wasn't too good at discharge of wasted bullets. but, we were using subsonic bullets, as he pointed out are the wrong type for his gun. but the guy at the range insisted on them. basically his gun kept jamming, which was a real pain in the arse, so i thought it would be better to buy a newone.
    what would you expect to pay for a half decent gun like the BSA martini .22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

I don't know if there's a semiauto class for silhouette shooting;

AFIK you can use any type of rifle for silhouette shooting within the class of its calibre.

though if you're left-handed, you don't want to get a right-handed model, or you'll scare your teeth more than the bunnies when the action cycles.

the walther can be very easily changed over to left hookers.it is a question of changing two pieces of plastic in the respective ejection covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Seen the G22 and fired one over Xmas. fun semi auto....BUT the owners and myself found the blow-back opperation is long and causes a huge amount of movement along the rifle....so it's not soo great for accuracy....seen it fired slowly from a bench and gave a group like a 12gauge......Trigger pull is very long and heavy.
    Reckon there are better 22semis out there....cheap fun though....horses for courses...

Vinnie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Isn't the G22 just a dressed up P22 pisol? I have no experience of the rifle, but got a chance to play with the pistol and wasn't impressed, it looked very toy like and it seeemed to me that the Umarex parent company influence is becoming evident in Walther.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

civdef wrote:
    Isn't the G22 just a dressed up P22 pisol?
    muzzle_Walther_P22_02neu.jpg
    252612.jpg
    Very similar pistol grip, the G22 reminded me of the P22 immediately when I saw the second picture above.

Magazines are apparently interchangable between the P22 and G22 as well.

On a similar note, there's a new Baikal .22 semiauto out soon, apparently:

mr141k.gif

Two variants, the MR141K, and the MR161K. Difference seems to be in the action. Chambers in .22kr, .22WMR and .17HMR.

Might be a viable option instead of the G22?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Some research reveals mixed reviews for the G22:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-43548.html

Plenty about it on www.rimfirecentral.com too.

It seems to be trading heavily on it's styling, and I reckon if it looked more conventional, many of it's fans would be less forgiving of its problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

Would any one know any Irish Dealers who have the G22 in stock? Please could up PM me details
    Thanks 1911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

900 Euros for one of these with scope and silencer.

Seems dealer was taking the mick.

Got quote today...2009

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Was told these have a wandering zero and are picky with the ammo, but what would put me off would be the high capacity mag, semi-auto and bullpup: all features which put this gun in the same class, under Irish law, as the beam weapon on the death star, but not quite as dangerous as shuriken or other ninja weapons ;).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There crap rifles not worth the money TBH, I think people buy them for the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jimmac

I have a G22 for about 18 months. Once you get the ammo that works well it is a great gun.
    I mainly use Eley Subsonic Xtra with a moderator. Totaly silent and
    consistently small groupings at 75m range.
    I tried a lot of other types of subsonic ammo but I was getting a lot of jamming
    I can get about 300 to 400 rounds between cleaning.
    The only problems was the trigger pull which was heavy and vague.
    A small mod to the mechanisim makes all the difference.
    Cleaning the gun is a pain. You have to strip the gun to do it correctly which takes time. I use a Teflon spray which helps the mechinism and ammo feed.
    The only ammo that caused havoc was the Remmington yellow jacket. This will jam every time due to the sharp edge on the round.
    Most other high velocity rounds work well and give good grouping up to 100m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 flash bang

I just stripped the G22 and what a horrible experience! I lost the springy lever thing will it still fire? or is this only linked to the mag release, HELP!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

The new baikal semi, remind ne one of a beretta cx4 storm?

If you want a semi why not get a ruger 10 22, depending on the model they go from 350 new?
    They are probably the best 22 semi in the world from what i've read and heard, and I have one myself.
    Also you can customize everything very easily! From practical things to pure cosmetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I tried a Browning Buckmark rifle the other day and was quite pleasantly surprised. They're not cheap (around €700), but shooting prone without a sling or any other aid, I was inside the eight ring on the NSRA 25 yard target pretty quickly.

I'd benchrested a Ruger 10/22 a while back and I don't think it grouped as well as the Browning. If the Walther G22 is anything like the Walther P22, then I'd suggest you buy a big sledgehammer and at least then you'll be able to hit the barn door.

The trigger is awful on the Browning; gritty (really gritty - as in pull like **** and it sticks and does nothing gritty) and is far too curved. I believe there are aftermarket replacements, so that's the first thing I'd do.

I don't paticularly like semis (had a bad experience with one in my youth), but if you really, really must, well I'd certainly think the Browning was one of the best.

That's not saying an awful lot by the way. Semis are just not target rifles by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Somebody further up mentioned that the BSA martini would be a cheap starter rifle. Anybody have a price for one?

Or even where to find one?

Most stores I've been to have laughed me out the door when looking for a used .22lr for around 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try Pat Hayes in Mallow.I saw one there last Dec/Jan?.Looked abit tatty but sound in the action and sights.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

oztots wrote: »
    Somebody further up mentioned that the BSA martini would be a cheap starter rifle. Anybody have a price for one?

Or even where to find one?

Most stores I've been to have laughed me out the door when looking for a used .22lr for around 350.

clarks sport den have some nice .22 in stock at the moment and push your budget to 400 and you will be shore to get lucky make sure you have land owners permission before you buy as some wont return your deposit also make sure your have a gun safe etc. you will be hard pushed to get a liecence without one. Ive a safe inspection the weekend..
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Duffys have a few Ruger's and G22 listed on there web site http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_25&sort=20a&page=2

Do you have your heart set on a Semi-auto. If you want a cheap start off gun for target shooting would a bolt-action not be a better choice. If you ring around you could get a CZ for about €400 new here a list of dealers http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers

Keep your eyes open a few good deals could popup on used guns with the firearm certs renews only 2 months away.

With the G22 being a bull pup is it not going to be on the [FONT=&quot]restricted[/FONT] list when the new firearms act comes in?

If this is your first Firearm remember to speak to your local Firearms officer befor you put cash down on any guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Duffys have a few Ruger's and G22 listed on there web site http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_25&sort=20a&page=2

Do you have your heart set on a Semi-auto. If you want a cheap start off gun for target shooting would a bolt-action not be a better choice. If you ring around you could get a CZ for about €400 new here a list of dealers http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers

Keep your eyes open a few good deals could popup on used guns with the firearm certs renews only 2 months away.

With the G22 being a bull pup is it not going to be on the [FONT=&quot]restricted[/FONT] list when the new firearms act comes in?

If this is your first Firearm remember to speak to your local Firearms officer befor you put cash down on any guns.

I see Duffys are selling M1 Garands in .308 :D Abit steep in price at 1000 yoyos :eek: but still nice to see:D

Thats a fact! About 400/500 is about the start for these in Europe. Approx 150 Dollars still in 30.06 in the USA from Uncle Sam direct.:eek:Wonder what grade they are??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats a fact! About 400/500 is about the start for these in Europe. Approx 150 Dollars still in 30.06 in the USA from Uncle Sam direct.:eek:Wonder what grade they are??

Yeah, but would the CMP fancy dealing with us here?

I thought the CMP specifically only dealt with US Citizens (hence the name)? Something about selling on firearms to shooters at discounted prices? Or am I getting different programmes confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nope, was being rhetorical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I wonder if the Irish government would set up somthing like the CMP here?Give us some of them FNs at discount prices :D

Sparks wrote: »
    I thought the CMP specifically only dealt with US Citizens (hence the name)? Something about selling on firearms to shooters at discounted prices? Or am I getting different programmes confused?

Civillan Markmanship Programme.Yes,you have to be a US citizen or green card holder and resident in CONUS.
    www.odcmp.com is the website
    A good article on it here; http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/blank89.html
    BTW Backwoods home magazine,isnt too bad a mag for the more country minded amongst us.
    There is a good bit of RTKBA articles in there as well,just to forewarn those who detest such.;)

The Irish Govt starting a programme like this;Sure! As soon as the Dail meets tomrrow and introduces a immediate RTKBA law.Thats after all the swine in Ireland sprout wings and fly South for the Winter.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement