Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and tyres

Options
  • 03-01-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

i wish to replace the front tyres as one of them has almost reached the wear indicator and the other one has a little tread on it.

my plan is to put the new spare michelin mxt on 1 side and purchase a new michelin for the other. however michelin no longer makes the mxt and so i would have to buy a different energy with a different tread. would the car possibly fail the nct on the rolling brake test due to different grip levels on each side? am i better putting the new tyres on the back and moving the rear ones to the front in this regard to pass the test?

i could just buy 2 tyres but however wish to get the use of the spare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

probably best to buy the 2 tyres, firstly I believe they check the condition of your spare as part of the NCT:
    http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3

secondly, for handling etc. I believe it's best to replace tyres in pairs & not to have different tyres on oneside vs. the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the spare will be ok as 1 current front tyre has plenty of thread. so what will i do forget about the new spare? waste of a tyre really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What you are proposing shoud cause no problem for the NCT. You are allowed have two different make/tread pattern tyres on the same axle. And it's highly unlikely that having two Michelins with different tread patterns on the same axle would make any difference for the brake test.

BrianD3

Advertisement