Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

plenty use it. I go there myself.

Where do you enter and exit and how long is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I used to live on Marlborough Hill close to that "wooded area" . It's unused land that even teenagers don't use for drinking. No walks or anything there. Nothing worth keeping.
    If that's one of the points your objecting on you won't get very far.

You are making weak arguments in fairness. Just because a wooded are isn't "used" does not mean it is fair game to be destroyed.
    And the less said about your earlier comment regarding pharma companies and money the better. You really aren't helping your side of the discussion here.

Ludo wrote: »
    You are making weak arguments in fairness. Just because a wooded are isn't "used" does not mean it is fair game to be destroyed.
    And the less said about your earlier comment regarding pharma companies and money the better. You really aren't helping your side of the discussion here.

Why, the " wooded area" is really only a few trees and could be put to better use.

Ringaskiddy probably has 10,000 people working there many in the pharma sector and if you think money doesn't talk in Ireland then you need to take your head out of the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Why, the " wooded area" is really only a few trees and could be put to better use.

Ringaskiddy probably has 10,000 people working there many in the pharma sector and if you think money doesn't talk in Ireland then you need to take your head out of the sand.

Never siad it doesnt talk..just that it shouldnt be accepted as the be all end all as you seem to think. Pharma companies should have an input but no more than residents and other concerned parties. Roads is not what will make then stay or leave by the way..taxes will.

Ludo wrote: »
    Never siad it doesnt talk..just that it shouldnt be accepted as the be all end all as you seem to think. Pharma companies should have an input but no more than residents and other concerned parties. Roads is not what will make then stay or leave by the way..taxex will.

It's not the be all and end all but they will have a louder voice than a few residents complaining about the removal of a few trees.
    A new Road might encourage more investment in the area by these companies and overall will be a positive thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've deleted the last few rather silly posts. Let's get this back on track.

There is overwhelming support for this road from all quarters and all alternatives have already been examined and discarded. Worries about trees are unfounded as more trees will be planted as part of the works. Property prices will go up due to reduced congestion and most of the road is being built along or near to the existing alignment so there would not be much of an increase in noise or visual intrusion.

From now on let's limit ourselves to discussion of the proposed plan instead of bleating about "alternatives".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Anyone who wants to discuss this scheme with relation to the general area around the existing N28 can do so in the Cork County forum

This thread from now on is to be used for discussion of the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy scheme, not the residents of Mount Oval

Anyone with objections can raise them via PM with me, NOT on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

spacetweek wrote: »

There is overwhelming support for this road from all quarters and all alternatives have already been examined and discarded. Worries about trees are unfounded as more trees will be planted as part of the works. Property prices will go up due to reduced congestion and most of the road is being built along or near to the existing alignment so there would not be much of an increase in noise or visual intrusion.

From now on let's limit ourselves to discussion of the proposed plan instead of bleating about "alternatives".

can you provide an evidence whatsoever for what you are saying
    who are 'all quarters' please?
    links please on the plan to plant more trees? this is a wooded area. not just a bunch of trees. how will that be replaced?
    links please that home prices won't be affected?
    links to evidence no pollution of any kind will increase?
    feel free to let those worried know.

do you have knowledge 1000s of residents don't have
    can I take this to the concerned committees, get onto the NRA with this seeing as you are so sure of your information?
    are you making up stories?
    otherwise it seems you dont like what you are hearing and have thrown a hissy fit.
    I await some facts from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

spacetweek wrote: »

can you provide an evidence whatsoever for what you are saying
    who are 'all quarters' please?
    links please on the plan to plant more trees? this is a wooded area. not just a bunch of trees. how will that be replaced?
    links please that home prices won't be affected?
    links to evidence no pollution of any kind will increase?
    feel free to let those worried know.

do you have knowledge 1000s of residents don't have
    can I take this to the concerned committees, get onto the NRA with this seeing as you are so sure of your information?
    are you making up stories?
    otherwise it seems you dont like what you are hearing and have thrown a hissy fit.
    I await some facts from you.
    I think the mod has spoken...

...this thread is for discussing the M28 as a transport project - not its effects on property.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N28 closed this evening between Carrs Hill and Shannonpark due to a serious collision.

Not only does this show the safety issues with the road, but the road is also closed and with no respectable alternative route for 5:30pm Friday evening traffic, it creates a dangerous situation with high volumes of traffic being pushed onto local roads.

Shows the need for this scheme even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There are several issues with this road in my experience...

- The merge from Douglas (either direction) is too short, and certainly on the "towards Carrigaline" side it's signed at 80 as you go up the ramp.. except you're joining traffic rushing towards you at 100+!!
    - The same stretch is marked in such a way that heading towards the N40, you are supposedly allowed overtake on a bend just as traffic on the opposite side is filtering into one lane

Any improvement would certainly be welcome IMO

Now that everyone's back and everyone's favourite roads are jammed again, it's no surprise these are still a major issue in the local media.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ibec-calls-major-cork-road-projects-get-underway/2526413/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0919/817474-ge-healthcare-cork/

Jokes over. M28 has to go ahead now when ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0919/817474-ge-healthcare-cork/

Jokes over. M28 has to go ahead now when ready.

Expect this to be fast-tracked myself once FF and Michael Martin/McGrath are back in power (within the next 6-12 months I reckon)

Long overdue... I travel this road weekly and it's seriously not up to the volume of traffic using it, not to mention too narrow in places.

local groups met with Simon Coveney on Monday to voice their concerns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

local groups met with Simon Coveney on Monday to voice their concerns

He is the minister for house prices, I suppose.

Saturday 22nd October 2-6pm
    Public Meeting Rochestown Park Hotel
    Chaired by the M28 Steering Group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Steering group? Is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What are you steering? The name is attempting to give a completely untrue "official" ring to what is a talking shop for objectors.

M28 ill informed, reactionary NIMBY group doesn't have a great ring to it; but it isn't lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Won't everyone be steering when they are driving on the M28? ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/engineer-and-councillors-protest-new-m28-plans-over-pollution-426406.html

I actually can't believe this nonsensical ****e is being taken seriously. The WHOLE OF CORK realises how important this scheme is to Cork and the wider country.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

How do these objectors think that the M50, quays in Dublin, and all of the other significantly busier roads in the country operate???
    At least the objection regarding noise is an improvement over the "destruction of the 'scenic' Mulcon valley".

Just because someone is an 'experienced' doesn't mean he/she is any good at their job! Donald Trump is an 'experienced' 'entrepeneur', and he's also an 'experienced' bankruptee.

These are only ways of attacking the scheme. The main issue is perceived reduction in property values.

I haven't a clue what will happen without this scheme. The traffic is horrendous and the port will have to remain in Tivoli.

More stagnation in Cork. The one scheme which we're getting EU funding for and this is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I agree, this is absolute rubbish, an improved road there will stop traffic jams which often occur at rush hour. Therefore I would suggest that the pollution from vehicles would actually reduce as they will not be static with engines running.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/engineer-and-councillors-protest-new-m28-plans-over-pollution-426406.html

I actually can't believe this nonsensical ****e is being taken seriously. The WHOLE OF CORK realises how important this scheme is to Cork and the wider country.
    Before we break out the pitchforks, is there anything resembling a feasible alternative route proposed (in particular from the critics in the article)?

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I doubt it personally but I wanted to see if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Before we break out the pitchforks, is there anything resembling a feasible alternative route proposed (in particular from the critics in the article)?

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I doubt it personally but I wanted to see if there was.

It's hard to say definitively that NOBODY has a feasible alternative.

But personally, all I have heard so far is "I'm not the engineer, it's not my job to propose an alternative".
    Which I consider to be an unacceptable response. I feel it's akin to "I know better than you when it comes to stopping this road, but you should know better than me when it comes to progressing it" which is basically an vicious circle preventing anything from ever being done.

The only possible alternative in my eyes would be to route via Cobh and have a suspension bridge over Cork harbour.

The only possible alternative in my eyes would be to route via Cobh and have a suspension bridge over Cork harbour.

Which would also require a major upgrade of the N25 main line and the Cobh junction.

One of the best things about the M28 is the fact that the junction to connect it to the N40 is already built bar needing a few slight improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

A proper linkage from Carrigaline to Ballygarvan and subsequent major upgrade of the Kinsale Road Roundabout and Frankfield.... it's unrealistic...

• Advertisement

A proper linkage from Carrigaline to Ballygarvan and subsequent major upgrade of the Kinsale Road Roundabout and Frankfield.... it's unrealistic...

Kinsale Roundabout is jammed as is. You'd need to buy substantial land around it and you'd be looking at a huge build. I'd personally like to see the Old Kinsale Road and the Grange road having access removed. Would involve this road being tunneled under any upgraded interchange.

The whole dynamic of junctions on the N28 around Rochestown need upgrading anyways. Seen as a huge solution to traffic issues in Douglas, Donnybrook and Grange in general.

Advertisement