Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If anyone would like a list of insults levelled at other posters by Marno21 feel free to pm me.
    This place is moderated by some seriously brainless losers
    Toodles

Mod: gerogerigegege I think you need a time away to rethink your attitudes.

Banned for 7 days.

Sam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Depressing article on how the arsing around with the M28 is affecting Cork and the port area in particular:

Ovxwuvr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's depressing reading alright... at the very least though they should resurface the existing N28 in the interim - particularly from Douglas to Carrigaline.. the surface is a mess, and the foliage could do with some pruning to improve visibility. Add in cats eyes and better signage as well would help I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's depressing reading alright... at the very least though they should resurface the existing N28 in the interim - particularly from Douglas to Carrigaline.. the surface is a mess, and the foliage could do with some pruning to improve visibility. Add in cats eyes and better signage as well would help I think.

I agree with you that the existing road needs resurfaced, but I'd be afraid if they spent a few million upgrading the surface, that would cause the government to kick the can (M28) further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I agree with you that the existing road needs resurfaced, but I'd be afraid if they spent a few million upgrading the surface, that would cause the government to kick the can (M28) further down the road.

I dunno.. when Michael Martin and Michael McGrath get into Government next time out (the most likely outcome regardless of one's personal politics) it might well speed things up - particularly considering the latter's constituency office and residence is in Carriagline, and he might well replace Martin in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno.. when Michael Martin and Michael McGrath get into Government next time out (the most likely outcome regardless of one's personal politics) it might well speed things up - particularly considering the latter's constituency office and residence is in Carriagline, and he might well replace Martin in the future.

I have never voted that way, but the way i have has done nothing for Cork, they say all politics is local so i for one might be casting my votes differently next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

I wouldn't be banking on FF making it happen. Micheal Martin has expressed a degree of support for those opposed to the current proposed routing of the scheme (up through the 'scenic' Mulcon valley). I'll certainly be challenging him on his support for such lunacy.
    Hard to see Michael McGrath PUBLICLY coming out with an opposing view to his leader.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Baldilocks wrote: »
    I wouldn't be banking on FF making it happen. Micheal Martin has expressed a degree of support for those opposed to the current proposed routing of the scheme (up through the 'scenic' Mulcon valley). I'll certainly be challenging him on his support for such lunacy.
    Hard to see Michael McGrath PUBLICLY coming out with an opposing view to his leader.

Anyone local remember if there was any objection to the existing road (Sli Carrigdhoun) when it was being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone local remember if there was any objection to the existing road (Sli Carrigdhoun) when it was being built?

If my memory serves me correctly the Mulcon Valley road project was complete in the early 90's, therefore pre social media days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

ok a bit of an update from the "steering group" which gives the NRA's position with regards to concerns from residents. If this belongs in the locked anti-m28 thread can a mod move it please?
    Hi All,
    M28 delegates met with TII / RPS consultants in the County Hall Cork on Tuesday the 4th April 2017. This meeting was facilitated by Michael Martin TD and was held to discuss TII’s up to date plans for the M28 motorway scheme.
    Delegates were given a powerpoint presentation of the draft EIS which outlined the following;
    Motorway is to be constructed through the Mulcon Valley as originally planned.
    Maryborough slip road is to be closed off as originally planned.
    Additional roadway (Wavering Lane) through Rochestown Rise /Newlyn Vale to be constructed as originally planned
    New Bridge to be constructed adjacent to Newlyn Vale as originally planned.
    Bloomfield flyover bridge to be moved towards the church to facilitate additional flyover as originally planned.
    Two -Way link road on Maryborough Hill to be constructed as originally planned.
    Traffic congestion on Maryborough Hill will be far in excess of what was originally planned.
    Please note “as originally planned” is included in the above to demonstrate the fact that despite ALL of our endeavours in terms of representations made to include political, both locally and nationally along with countless meetings, TII and the Minister Mr Shane Ross not to mention over 500 submissions to TII - ALL of which has fallen on deaf ears.
    To compound matters further what we learned at last Tuesdays briefing by TII is that residents will also have to accept the following;
    TII confirmed noise levels will increase up to 4 times from its current levels of between 60 & 80 dbl along the Mulcon Valley / Bloomfield areas
    Some noise ameoliaration barriers are to be erected however these barriers whilst enabling a decrease in places, noise levels will still be as high as 70 to 80dbl- TII have confirmed that noise dbl will continue to be in excess of current values and there is nothing they can do about it.
    To protect residents a 3 metre concrete wall is to be erected along parts of the route from the Rochestown Park Hotel through to Lissadell with a lower level wall up to Maryborough bridge.
    All trees and hedgerows currently lining this route are to be removed to facilitate the construction of the additional north bound laneway. Although some replanting is to take place it will be a generation before these are high enough to restore noise to existing levels which are already in breach of guidelines
    Wall will also be built from the slip road on the N40 at Bloomfield passing homes near St Patricks Church and run up Bloomfield to the Mount Oval slip road. This wall will be erected once widening of the slip road takes place to include the removal of ALL trees currently lining this route.
    3 metre concrete wall is a safety barrier and NOT a noise ameoliration barrier. Articulated vehicles are coming extremely close to many homes and this wall will (with the construction of the new laneway) ríse to almost roof level of homes at Newly Vale.
    800 new homes to be built at Shannon Park along with 500 new builds at Castletreasure.
    New roadways to be put in place from Grange and Castletreasure with the added consequences for residents on Maryborough Hill and surrounding areas.
    Acknowledgement by TII that major increases in traffic along Maryborough Hill leading to traffic congestion at ALL points along this route to include the Douglas Fingerpost roundabout – Plans to ultimately remove roundabout and replace with traffic light system. Inevitable increase in rat runs through Maryborough Estate etc.
    M28 delegates were stunned to say the least! Our counter proposal for an alternative route was simply brushed aside by RPS / TII as a box ticking exercise and nothing more. No Tangable or meaningful response was forthcoming from them. They had not done a detailed costing or analysis for an alternative route - but they did say that it would be a LITTLE dearer (whatever that means without having costed or identified an alternative route to be compared with the proposal for the M28.) even if it the alternative route was a little dearer surely it is not the only criterion by which a decision should be made considering the serious health implications for children and all residents arising from the proposal for M28. No proper examination of alternatives to the current preferred route was carried out other than to explain that the current proposal for the N28 Is a Project and that no other routes were now in positive consideration.
    We are in receipt of a hard copy of the draft EIS presentation given by TII and are studying it closely! Whilst still in draft stage it outlines various statistics in terms of projected traffic volumes around peak times in all areas and shows clearly the increased traffic volumes around Douglas, Maryborough Hill and R610 Rochestown Road. We will discuss these figures and all aspects of TII’s conclusions at our next steering group meeting.
    The above is just a snapshot of what we as a community will face in the coming months and years ahead. Our quality of life will be greatly affected not to mention our health and wellbeing particularly for those in the eye of this unacceptable imposition.
    At the close of our meeting TII informed us that they are to hold a presentation at the Carrigaline Court Hotel on Tuesday the 11th April from 2PM – 8PM. Given this acute and untimely notice we requested for this presentation to be deferred in order for our group to take stock and brief residents on what we had just learned however this too fell on deaf ears and consequently the presentation by TII will go ahead as scheduled.
    Incidentally we asked TII why they did not see fit to hold such presentation in Douglas or Rochestown and their response was to state that they could not source a meeting room either in the Maryborough Hotel or the RPH?????????? We kindly offerred an alternative venue in the Douglas area but they declined!
    It is of critical importance that residents attend this presentation and we ask each of you in turn to spread the word of the upcoming presentation to your resident association members also. We also ask that you query TII/RPS with the very pertinent questions around Noise and Air emissions, traffic volumes & congestion, route alignment near Bloomfield and how close the wall barrier and additional roadway will be to your homes.
    In light of the above and given what we now know, a full steering group meeting will take place on Tuesday 18th April at the Rochestown Park Hotel to further appraise members on what we have learned. Our meeting on the 18th requires that ALL residential steering group members and reps of private householders are in attendance. Put simply the matters for discussion are very serious indeed and this meeting will be defining moment in our campaign.
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Harrington & Frances Murphy
    Co- Chair M28 Steering Group

I call that a success if I'm honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

9 Pharma plants in ringaskiddy have been lobbying collectively for this road for years. No disrespect to the residents who think they are effected but money talks and in reality this road is well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Does this mean that the new Carrs Hill interchange will link to Maryborough Hill through Rochestown Rise?

The steering groups Facebook page is full of comments supporting the road.

These people actually think they talk for the residents of Douglas. This scheme will save Douglas.

Delighted that they've been told where to go. Possibly the most "bang for your buck" road scheme in Ireland being hampered by a couple of whiny residents. The M28 is only a bare widening of the 1990s constructed Sli Carrigdhoun (what is now the N28 from the N40 to Carrs Hill), and without the Sli Carrigdhoun Douglas would be an unholy mess of traffic. This scheme only removes traffic from Douglas, Maryborough and Rochestown.

According to Michael Nolan, CEO TII, the scheme is being sent to An Bord Pleanala before the end of May.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That is great news, I am very glad the road wasn't watered down to some basic dualler with stopped traffic idling beside people's houses.

The alternative routes weren't workable and traffic pollution and noise will lessen in future years as transport is electrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

How exactly does one get from Maryborough Hill to it without going down the hill? Through a new road through Maryborough Ridge to Carr's Hill? I assume you can also just go through Maryborough Woods, too, to Carr's Hill

DylanGLC wrote: »
    How exactly does one get from Maryborough Hill to it without going down the hill? Through a new road through Maryborough Ridge to Carr's Hill? I assume you can also just go through Maryborough Woods, too, to Carr's Hill

There will definitely be a new road from where the Maryborough slip is now to the new Carr's Hill interchange along the side of the golf course.

The paragraph above also seems to indicate that the Maryborough Ridge link road will be built.

I cannot fathom how this will cause more traffic on Maryborough Hill. That slip is always backed up at rush hour and causes chaos on Maryborough Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So is there a map anywhere of what all this will look like as currently planned? A road from Maryborough Hill to Bloomfield thru Rochestown Rise is mentioned above. That'll me messy and I can understand why people wouldn't want it. Interested to see where it is supposed to be.

This website:
    http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/

seems a mish mash of various stages of plans and mentions nothing about it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/residents-may-seek-judicial-review-of-motorway-link-447604.html

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Anger-over-M28-motorway-route-c5aa8502-289e-40b6-ad76-ea29a6be4b8c-ds

I'm disappointed that the Echo have said that 10,000 residents are outraged. That's simply not true.

Take note also that Buttimer has taken the side of these residents as opposed to a motorway scheme worth €3.5bn to the economy of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/residents-may-seek-judicial-review-of-motorway-link-447604.html

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Anger-over-M28-motorway-route-c5aa8502-289e-40b6-ad76-ea29a6be4b8c-ds

I'm disappointed that the Echo have said that 10,000 residents are outraged. That's simply not true.

Take note also that Buttimer has taken the side of these residents as opposed to a motorway scheme worth €3.5bn to the economy of Cork.

The Echo/Examiner in fabrication of the facts shocker!

• Advertisement

the steering group FB page has around 190 'likes'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well say what you want about TII and Shane Ross, but thanks be to goodness for once in Ireland common sense is being applied and the so-called 'steering group' is being told to take quite a spectacular hike. I don't know anyone in Cork who does not want the scheme to go ahead - ask anyone who has the displeasure of using Carr's Hill during rush hour. Even off peak it is quite busy and all the so-called 'concerns' of the steering group are a steaming pile of nonsense. Message for the Government: just get on with it!

Well say what you want about TII and Shane Ross, but thanks be to goodness for once in Ireland common sense is being applied and the so-called 'steering group' is being told to take quite a spectacular hike. I don't know anyone in Cork who does not want the scheme to go ahead - ask anyone who has the displeasure of using Carr's Hill during rush hour. Even off peak it is quite busy and all the so-called 'concerns' of the steering group are a steaming pile of nonsense. Message for the Government: just get on with it!
    In fairness, the primary reason this project is going ahead at the minute is that it's required under EU TEN-T directives.

But still, great to see them not holding it back (for now!).

It's amazing that this "steering group" are getting all this exposure.

They are a very small group of wealthy land owners who do not want the road to go ahead due to proximity to their own homes.

They're campaigns are a disgrace and with 190 Facebook followed, The Echo is peddling an incredible amount of lies to carry a non story.

I see the posturing campaign in Douglas is back with the group advertising for a new meeting. No doubt a few locals will believe the group in them saying it will make traffic in Douglas worse (it will do the complete opposite and alleviate current junction points between the N28 and the local road network.

Let's just hope the scheme gets through as is.

Not 100% sure what side of discussion about this road I am on...There is definitely a need for it but hard to get full picture of what is being proposed exactly.
    Certainly don't believe all that the steering group are saying but also don't believe a word on this forum since it is against the rules here to discuss both sides or say anything negative about it. Fanboys only allowed judging by the mod post which is crazy. This supposed to be a discussion forum but I guess not. This place is a bad as the steering group as only one side being allowed here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ludo wrote: »
    Not 100% sure what side of discussion about this road I am on...There is definitely a need for it but hard to get full picture of what is being proposed exactly.
    Certainly don't believe all that the steering group are saying but also don't believe a word on this forum since it is against the rules here to discuss both sides or say anything negative about it. Fanboys only allowed judging by the mod post which is crazy. This supposed to be a discussion forum but I guess not. This place is a bad as the steering group as only one side being allowed here.

Mod: @Ludo - If you have a problem with a mod, then report the post or PM the mod in question. There should be no interference by a mod with posters views, only with posters straying off topic, attacking other posters, or contravening the charter.

You might read the charter yourself.

Ludo wrote: »

Their arguments are

1. Destruction of the "historic" Mulcon Valley.
    2. Noise pollution
    3. Pollution
    4. The destruction of Douglas, Rochestown and Maryborough Hill (their exact words)

1 is nothing but an excuse. They don't give 2 hoots about that Valley which will end up as housing if not motorway.

2. Maybe a point of note. Sufficient barriers required etc.

3. Stationery traffic is causing most of the pollution. This scheme will aid traffic flow greatly in the area.

4. For this to be true, some sort of medium sized nuclear device would be required. Not part of the design schematics I believe.

T

4. For this to be true, some sort of medium sized nuclear device would be required. Not part of the design schematics I believe.

withdrawn before public consultation if i remember correctly.

If the destruction of the Mulcon Valley is so much of an issue why was the N28 Carrs Hill - Bloomfield (Sli Carrigdhoun) allowed to be constructed?

• Advertisement

If the destruction of the Mulcon Valley is so much of an issue why was the N28 Carrs Hill - Bloomfield (Sli Carrigdhoun) allowed to be constructed?

Again not saying if the new road is right or wrong but that is not a good argument. Lots of things were done 20/30 years ago that would not be done today (and rightfully so). Just coz something was always done a certain way does not make it right. Weak point.

Advertisement