Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ludo wrote: »
    Again not saying if the new road is right or wrong but that is not a good argument. Lots of things were done 20/30 years ago that would not be done today (and rightfully so). Just coz something was always done a certain way does not make it right. Weak point.

Because the M28 is being constructed on the current alignment of the Sli Carrigdhoun. If that didn't destroy the Mulcon Valley I don't see how this will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A lot of trees being removed and replaced with walls...doesn't exactly sound nice does it. Port container traffic now taking this route through a suburb whereas they were across in Tivoli previously where there are no houses next to the road (I believe this is the plan right?). It is understandable to me why locals would be upset and want some kind of compromise and noise reduction effort made. Of course they are overstating the issues with it...they have to. Just as someone above saying it will be worth 3.5 billion to the cork economy is overstating it also. Ah I ust checked that and I see it was you. You presumably got that from somewhere but i cannot believe that will be true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness, the primary reason this project is going ahead at the minute is that it's required under EU TEN-T directives.

But still, great to see them not holding it back (for now!).

I think it's because Rinsaskiddy is ramping up as the new port of Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's a matter of opinion that building the original N28 through the valley caused it any damage as the actual amount of space it takes up is small.

The building of thousands of houses certainly did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

spacetweek wrote: »

29k per day on single carriageway road is a deathtrap too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spacetweek wrote: »

Speaking of Ringaskiddy... was down there over the weekend with the little fella (he likes the playground) and there is some sign up objecting to the route of a new road saying it'll divide the town in half etc

Not being from the area myself I don't get the locations/impact involved but any idea what they're on about? Will get a picture next time I'm there,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The M28 needs to be built, thousands of people work in the Ringaskiddy area.

Then you have the Carrigaline/Crosshaven traffic commuting towards the City/Tunnel in the mornings.

The traffic volumes are huge already and are only going to get worse with the new housing development in Carrigaline and other developments around the Ringaskiddy area.

Even if the Bloomfield Interchange end wasnt given the go ahead Carrs Hill still needs to be bypassed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

mikeym wrote: »
    The M28 needs to be built, thousands of people work in the Ringaskiddy area.

Then you have the Carrigaline/Crosshaven traffic commuting towards the City/Tunnel in the mornings.

The traffic volumes are huge already and are only going to get worse with the new housing development in Carrigaline and other developments around the Ringaskiddy area.

Even if the Bloomfield Interchange end wasnt given the go ahead Carrs Hill still needs to be bypassed.

No, it needs ALL doing.

The amount of money spent on retrofitting in Cork is ridiculous. Kinsale Rd R/A, Bandon/Sarsfield roundabouts, now the Dunkettle Interchange, Mallow Road dualling and the dualling here of the Sli Carrigdhoun. Let's do it right for once and for all.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Speaking of Ringaskiddy... was down there over the weekend with the little fella (he likes the playground) and there is some sign up objecting to the route of a new road saying it'll divide the town in half etc

Not being from the area myself I don't get the locations/impact involved but any idea what they're on about? Will get a picture next time I'm there,

As promised..

14kvbqe.jpg

nqr9ug.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As promised..

Pic missing?

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Pic missing?

Oops.. Yea boards and it's size limit. Will fix when I'm at the laptop later

EDIT: Fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

So is this a different group other than the "steering group "? Is it fair to say there is now objections at both ends of the road?

I really don't know what is wrong with these people, many of whom travel the N28 on a daily basis. I've traveled and worked on almost every National Road in the country, and hands down the N28 is one of the busiest and most dangerous of them all.

The funds are there on a plate from Europe, the road needs to be built asap.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    So is this a different group other than the "steering group "? Is it fair to say there is now objections at both ends of the road?

I really don't know what is wrong with these people, many of whom travel the N28 on a daily basis. I've traveled and worked on almost every National Road in the country, and hands down the N28 is one of the busiest and most dangerous of them all.

Well I'm not sure if it's the same group as the Douglas crowd, or another one.. certainly there's no-one taking credit on/for their sign as ya can see - just a vague reference to "the community".

Wonder if they got permission for that sign as well? It's pretty sturdy so someone put a bit of effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The M28 steering group released a video on their Facebook page.

Its a very well presented video but the motorway still needs to be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Kevwoody wrote: »

The ringaskiddy group seem to be in favour of the road. Just not that routing whereas the douglas group are in favour of an absurd alternative road looping around to the N71 (absurd in relation to having no m28... that road itself would be useful in conjunction with the m28)

The ringaskiddy group seem to be in favour of the road. Just not that routing whereas the douglas group are in favour of an absurd alternative road looping around to the N71 (absurd in relation to having no m28... that road itself would be useful in conjunction with the m28)
    This road needs to be built anyway going forward to relieve the N40 between Kinsale Rd and Bloomfield.

However it's not a viable alternative to the N28, and the N28 Carrs Hill-Bloomfield needs dualling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Slightly back tracking here but on second thoughts, is the final section, ie from the R 613 to the end, really needed?
    The only traffic using that bit would be Haulbowline (very little) and the NVD crowd. If this section was dropped, it would eliminate nearly all the concerns of the locals as the road wouldn't be going behind the village at all.
    Also, if that's going to be a roundabout at the R 613 rather than a slip road, most traffic is going to exit here anyway.
    It would be interesting to know how much would be saved if this section was dropped, maybe the money could be used at the other end to provide more noise barriers or some mature planting?

Any discussion of the Steering Group/destruction of Douglas/alternative route/M71 route here please:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057734629

This thread for scheme progress updates only.

For anyone interested, 29,298 vehicles were recorded yesterday (Friday 28th) at the top of Carrs Hill. Of those, 1100 were HGV and 55 were bus.

Peak being 5pm - 6pm when 1,690 vehicles used it. Shocking road for this level of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Interesting.
    Source?

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Source?
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/

The site is session based so I can't copy a link directly for the N28 counter - it's fairly easy to find on the map mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

For anyone interested, 29,298 vehicles were recorded yesterday (Friday 28th) at the top of Carrs Hill. Of those, 1100 were HGV and 55 were bus.

Peak being 5pm - 6pm when 1,690 vehicles used it. Shocking road for this level of traffic.
    thats a much higher amount of traffic on the road than a lot of the motorways around the country.

Also 30% higher than the Dual carraige way section of the N20 that is seen as essential to be converted to Motorway and 300% busier than the central part of the N20, which again has to be a motorway and nothing else.

In any slightly logical or methodical way of determining what is needed, then this road needs to be upgraded massively, or indeed some sort of feasible alternative for commuters to get to their workplace to reduce the numbers using the road.

thats a much higher amount of traffic on the road than a lot of the motorways around the country.

Also 30% higher than the Dual carraige way section of the N20 that is seen as essential to be converted to Motorway and 300% busier than the central part of the N20, which again has to be a motorway and nothing else.

In any slightly logical or methodical way of determining what is needed, then this road needs to be upgraded massively, or indeed some sort of feasible alternative for commuters to get to their workplace to reduce the numbers using the road.
    Indeed. A much larger volume than that going through Claregalway, New Ross, Enniscorthy etc which were pushed through well before this.

There has been a lot of updates recently on other schemes so hopefully a major (overdue) update on the M28's progress will be released before the end of the month. Michael Nolan said ABP submission before month's end so hopefully an update will be released in conjunction.

It's a pity the Examiner and Echo aren't making the public aware of a small road scheme that promises to beef up the Cork economy by billions and instead report the lies of a misinformed group of NIMBYs.

The M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway scheme has been sent to An Bord Pleanala on the 16th of May. The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is available to view at http://n28cork-ringaskiddy.com

According to the EIS, this is to be motorway from Bloomfield (N40) to Barnhealy, with the last 1.5km protected single carraigeway road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway scheme has been sent to An Bord Pleanala on the 16th of May. The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is available to view at http://n28cork-ringaskiddy.com

According to the EIS, this is to be motorway from Bloomfield (N40) to Barnhealy, with the last 1.5km protected single carraigeway road.

Suspect it will only be a motorway from Rochestown exit onwards to allow non motorway traffic access from the N40.

Maybe even from Carr's Hill onwards.

Suspect it will only be a motorway from Rochestown exit onwards to allow non motorway traffic access from the N40.

Maybe even from Carr's Hill onwards.
    Or perhaps it'll tie in with a redesignation of the N40 after Dunkettle is upgraded.

If the N40 is to remain green it should be motorway from the R610 interchange on because there is no access/exit from Douglas for half the traffic otherwise.

M28 planning decision due by 21 December 2017.

Oral hearing planned shortly in Carrigaline.

Could be a nice Christmas present for long term N28 sufferers, and hopefully we won't see any further loss of life on the road like we did last week.

For those of you interested in this development but haven't been looking at the objection thread - after a lengthy oral hearing a decision is due on this scheme this coming Thursday the 21st.

If approved, the scheme will continue to detained design & CPO in 2018 with potential construction start in 2020/2021. An appeal to the decision is likely which may hold up the development

MOD: This thread is for discussing the progression of the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway. We had a thread about objections and everyone has had their say, and every point discussed at length. The other thread may be reopened depending on the ABP decision on Thursday. In light of this, off topic posts in this thread WILL be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Very unlikely ABP will issue decision on M28 tomorrow and likely to be deferred until early 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Presume it has been deferred until January?

Advertisement