Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No word as of yet.

Personally, I think it'll be approved with modifications. Firstly the closing of the Mount Oval slip. No motorway exit into a housing estate and lots of trees saved. Secondly opening up the access from J3 Carrs Hill over to Maryborough Ridge. Mount Oval residents then have a choice.

Not sure what the decision will be with Ringaskiddy. The route avoiding the village provides better access to Loughbeg which would be useful. Either route doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can’t see Maryborough Ridge reopening. It would of course be the right decision from a traffic flow point of view.

Would get rid of that road running parallel from Carr’s Hill to Maryborough Hill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can’t see Maryborough Ridge reopening. It would of course be the right decision from a traffic flow point of view.

Would get rid of that road running parallel from Carr’s Hill to Maryborough Hill.

I would have both the Maryborough Ridge road and the new link road - stops chokepoints and distributes traffic somewhat

Mount Oval slip has 1 movement out of 4. If the cars that use it in the evening time, when the school traffic is gone, have no problem getting to the N28 in the morning with no slip road and school traffic in the area I don't see why it's needed.

marno21 wrote: »

I would have both the Maryborough Ridge road and the new link road - stops chokepoints and distributes traffic somewhat

Mount Oval slip has 1 movement out of 4. If the cars that use it in the evening time, when the school traffic is gone, have no problem getting to the N28 in the morning with no slip road and school traffic in the area I don't see why it's needed.

Protestations about tree loss may actually lead to that slip loss, which is somewhat ironic.

I’m with you though. Seeing both contector roads to the Carr’s Hill interchange would be good.

Road planning since the 70s has lead to a reduction in road density and alternative routes in suberbs. The south side of the city is particularly bad in this respect.

Protestations about tree loss may actually lead to that slip loss, which is somewhat ironic.

I’m with you though. Seeing both contector roads to the Carr’s Hill interchange would be good.

Road planning since the 70s has lead to a reduction in road density and alternative routes in suberbs. The south side of the city is particularly bad in this respect.
    ABP website still advises case to be decided by 21/12/2017

Yep, at least having the 2 connector roads provides redundancy and also provides seperate accesses from the parts of the area east/west of the M28. Would make more sense than funnelling all the traffic down one link road.

We could be waiting until after Christmas for this decision - hopefully it's made soon and we can get on with this. The backlog for Cork is quite long and getting schemes cleared from the backlog is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

vested interested parties were informed by ABP that decision is being pushed back to no later than mid april

danny004 wrote: »
    vested interested parties were informed by ABP that decision is being pushed back to no later than mid april
    Vested pro or anti parties?

Any published information on this decision? ABP website still says decision due by 21-12-2017, and likely won't be updated until after the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

Perhaps Santa is bringing it on the 25th.
    Though the irony of it being on announced on epiphany would entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Decision now due before April 13th 2018

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Decision now due before April 13th 2018

It never ceases to amaze me how anything to do with infrastructure cannot meet original deadlines in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It never ceases to amaze me how anything to do with infrastructure cannot meet original deadlines in this country.

Yes, odd that they need a four month extension, when originally 3 weeks would have been enough.

However, I would take this as a positive that they will allow the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Well, the Luas Cross City was delivered early (and under budget)! ;^)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well, the Luas Cross City was delivered early (and under budget)! ;^)

It was originally supposed to open in 2008!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Maybe when multi-national corporations start pulling out...

1986 - Dublin Airport embarrassed into constructing the Southern 10/28 Runway
    (airlines at the time talk of pulling out as there was apparent insufficient air traffic to justify such expenditure - however, Knock could produce such a runway at relatively low expense, so what was the excuse at Dublin??? No excuses - they just got up off their backsides and did it - just look at where Dublin Airport is now!!! Not even 3m passengers in 1985 (AFAIK) to almost 30m in 2017)
    1997 - Ireland's Road Network - the laughing stock of Europe
    (Road Needs Study carried out in 1998 - at the time, Ireland's roads were so bad that they were a tourist attraction - it was said at one stage that some people came to see all the potholes - how embarrassing! IMO, potholed roads were actually so ugly that a motorway replacement would have been a great scenic improvement - although huge (Drogheda Bypass etc.) we'd have nice tidy road pavements with green grass and lots of trees instead of war zone dirt trails).
    2017 - Ireland still the poor man of Europe - Many national roads still pathetic - Dublin still without an underground rail system.
    (with the likelihood of upcoming global economic changes and resultant competition, Ireland does not seem to be very well positioned to compete for foreign investment or indeed, high skilled personnel. With the country becoming increasingly difficult for ordinary citizens to survive due to congestion (transport and communications), poor services and anti-competitive practices (land and property), Ireland will face a huge wave of emigration once again and without a content labour force, global corporations will also lose interest in Ireland. Modern economic thinking (in global terms) appears to be placing greater emphasis on worker satisfaction as an essential ingredient of productivity. Ireland's current way of doing business is not exactly conducive to the aforementioned principle given the crisis in housing, transport, utilities, health and education.)

Ireland needs to change - simple as. The common good must come before selfish interests and that means infrastructure before property and narrow interests!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

10/28 as built was a pathetic capitulation to FF's western wing. Should have been a good 800m longer, but was crippled to protect Shannon.

Dail debates exist to prove that - its not idle speculation.

It is actually so short it was little improvement over the retired 05/23 - actually as it matched the prevailing wind better a resurfacing might have made more sense!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

L1011 wrote: »
    10/28 as built was a pathetic capitulation to FF's western wing. Should have been a good 800m longer, but was crippled to protect Shannon.

Dail debates exist to prove that - its not idle speculation.

It is actually so short it was little improvement over the retired 05/23 - actually as it matched the prevailing wind better a resurfacing might have made more sense!
    Agree - it's far too short and should be lengthened to at least 10,500ft (3,200m) regardless of the construction of the North Runway. In any case, Dublin should go for 2 parallel 12,000ft (3,657m) runways given its ever increasing importance as a flight transfer hub. They also need to consider space for a third runway (somewhere northwest of the proposed North Runway).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That's enough about Dublin Airport please. Back to M28.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A reluctant acknowledgement of the need for the M28 by the Echo:
    Call for action on Carrigaline gridlock
    “[The] Shannonpark Roundabout upgrade is likely to take place in 2018. The M28 Motorway scheme, if it comes to fruition, will give significant relief to commuters in the area,” he added.

Discussion on the M28 as part of a wider discussion on Brexit and ports on Today FM.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Discussion on the M28 as part of a wider discussion on Brexit and ports on Today FM.

What was said?

What was said?

There was less said than I was anticipating, just that its important to connect Ringaskiddy with Brexit on the way

Of course after the above sense the guest suggested building a motorway to Limerick via Mitchelstown due to the requirement to build a North Ring Road if the N20 corridor were used

I wish this project would get underway so that people would stop talking about Mitchelstown.

1 month now until the ABP decision is due on this project. Further delays will likely be forthcoming due to appeals. If we could get this on the ground by 2022 it'd be fantastic.

Cork County Council are ploughing ahead with tender documents for the M28 motorway, even though a decision on the project has not come about yet

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/decision-on-180m-cork-ringaskiddy-road-upgrade-due-on-april-13-468806.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the motorway gets the green light, there will be no traffic lights on the main road between Dublin and Cork.

Thats dreadful reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Thats dreadful reporting.

Spotted this as well
    Many objections were heard from residents living along the proposed, new motorway route, especially near the Broomfield interchange, at Rochestown.

Just hoping it gets approved in the next few weeks, without any more spurious claims or delays.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

We are in a very different political realm after the Apple fiasco in Athenry. I hope it’s not the case, but I suspect there will be political pressure to get this through planning.

Not that I think it needs political pressure. It should get through on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

In terms of appealing the decision, does anyone know what time frame the Steering Group will have to request a judicial appeal? I know you have four weeks to appeal a local authority planning decision to ABP, but I don't know how long you have to appeal an ABP decision to the High Court. Just curious when ABP's (hopeful) granting of permission can no longer be challenged.

Separately - does anyone have predictions on planning restrictions ABP will attach to the motorway?

• Advertisement

I think a ABP will refuse the Mount Oval slip - it has no place on a motorway and the objectors are up in arms about it - you can't have your cake and eat it.

For those interested, the N69 Listowel bypass had a very similar objector group to the M28 Steering Group. Faux environmental concerns and generic noise and pollution complains. It was approved by ABP - have a look if you are interested.

The sooner this is approved and built the better. Cork needs it.

Advertisement