Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Heard its been approved wich is good news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Heard its been approved wich is good news

The appeal has been approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

The appeal has been approved?

No, the appeal was refused.

Is this the end of the road for the Steering Group?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

if that's true, that's such great news. I messaged them in 2018 telling them appealing it would just be a big waste of money and rather than fundraise for an appeal, they should fundraise to improve the green areas of the adjacent estates to try block out the road with more trees and hedges and whatnot, especially mount oval. they ignored it and nearly three years later..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Any official source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

I wonder could our learned friend (?) Hibernicis be implored upon to investigate and report?

(S)he appears to know the uncharted waters that are the Courts system.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bongoboy22

Just wondering if this is the end of the road for the M28 Steering Group? Perhaps they might be considering a move to Europe and challenge the process through one of the European courts? It would appear that money is no object with this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Harrington is on record as saying that if the Supreme Court reject the petition that’s it. Whether that is to be believed is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Im a little nervous to say the leave to appeal has been approved or thrown out ,essentially we have at best a coded message from Anfield 1978 thats really not clear and weve jumped on it reading it the way we want to read it so it would be useful if he would post some clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s official. It’s going ahead

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40236191.html

€30m advance works package to commence shortly which will take 3 years. Construction to commence in 2024 with a 2027 opening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats great news. Still amazed there are three years of advance works. And construction will slip to 2025 start, we all know how these things work!

marno21 wrote: »
    It’s official. It’s going ahead

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40236191.html

€30m advance works package to commence shortly which will take 3 years. Construction to commence in 2024 with a 2027 opening

Thank god. Finally some suitable infrastructure.

The other benefit is that the existing road can now be used as originally intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

Great news today!!

Very disappointing to see that the Examiner insist on pretending that the M28 steering group represent 10,000 people.
    There is no factual basis for this. I very much doubt they would get 10,000 signatures on a petition. 200 people in the RPH is the best that they have been able to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Great news for Cork.

However it does always sadden me that so much energy and time is spent by passionate individuals opposing infrastructure projects such as this. It is such a pity that the same effort wasn't spent on influencing positive (and realistic) improvements to the scheme.

I think there are some deep problems with the system when a relatively small project with a clear common good can get held up like this. Imagine trying to get a major project like Rural Electrification through the planning system nowadays! I suppose we will see what happens with the Galway Bypass and the Shannon pipeline

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Sad but expected news. Business interest wins out over the health and wellbeing of thousands of people. The steering group put as much as they could into it - and suffered attacks from nameless keyboard warriors over it - but there was no regard for the people of the area from TII who were determined to plough ahead whatever the consequences.

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Sad but expected news. Business interest wins out over the health and wellbeing of thousands of people. The steering group put as much as they could into it - and suffered attacks from nameless keyboard warriors over it - but there was no regard for the people of the area from TII who were determined to plough ahead whatever the consequences.

It doesn’t help that the Steering Group came out with bold lies and pure hyperbole most of the time.

Where is the proof that 10,000 people support them. Complete unsubstantiated nonsense. Exploding lorries, ridiculous photo shops, nonsensical new route through Ballinhassig. Never have I seen such a fake news effort like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

On the contrary - there's been years and years of regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

This will make some difference to Rochestown, Passage as well as Carrigaline and Ringaskiddy. Once Dunkettle is finished, I reckon the port will get a lot busier with Ro-Ro traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Baldilocks wrote: »
    Great news today!!

Very disappointing to see that the Examiner insist on pretending that the M28 steering group represent 10,000 people.
    There is no factual basis for this. I very much doubt they would get 10,000 signatures on a petition. 200 people in the RPH is the best that they have been able to manage.
    I'm fairness the article says that the steering group claims to represent 10,000 people. That's completely different to what you're implying.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t help that the Steering Group came out with bold lies and pure hyperbole most of the time.

Where is the proof that 10,000 people support them. Complete unsubstantiated nonsense. Exploding lorries, ridiculous photo shops, nonsensical new route through Ballinhassig. Never have I seen such a fake news effort like it.

They represented an area with 10,000 residents, the only place I saw people say the claimed to have 10,000 support was on this forum.

They represented an area with 10,000 residents, the only place I saw people say the claimed to have 10,000 support was on this forum.

This is on the Steering Groups website.

“ The Group consists of 45 members including Residents Associations and County Councillors, who represent over 10,000 residents in the Maryborough Hill, Rochestown, Carrs Hill, Bloomfield, Mount Oval, Clarke’s Hill and general Douglas area.”

https://altroutem28.com/about/

You are completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I live in the area and am one of those 10,000 residents. The M28 Steering Group never represented me, and it was wrong of them to suggest to the media that they did. Even if the media came up with that suggestion completely unprompted (which seems very unlikely) it was wrong of the Steering Group to not refute an inaccurate figure.

Either way, thank goodness we no longer need to hear from them ever again. Roll on with the M28!

This is on the Steering Groups website.

“ The Group consists of 45 members including Residents Associations and County Councillors, who represent over 10,000 residents in the Maryborough Hill, Rochestown, Carrs Hill, Bloomfield, Mount Oval, Clarke’s Hill and general Douglas area.”

https://altroutem28.com/about/

You are completely wrong.

Again, that doesn't say support.

All the TDs in my area represent me, they don't all have my support.

Representing means that they are advocating on their behalf. That’s worse than supporting. You said they never claimed to represent 10,000 people merely the area which is clearly untrue.

Representing means that they are advocating on their behalf. That’s worse than supporting. You said they never claimed to represent 10,000 people merely the area which is clearly untrue.

I replied to your original response so in fairness I'll address the updated version.

I said they never claimed to have the support of 10,000 people. They didn't.

They were the only representative group from the area to make a submission on this. There were no groups in the area - either already established community groups or newly formed in response to the proposal - who were in favour of the motorway.

Therefore they were the only group representative of the area of 10,000 people to submit in this process.

This inference that the Steering Group was some minority voice going against the grain just isn't true. I live in the area and there is widespread concern about this, as seen by the large attendances at meetings in the Rochestown Park Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

All the TD's in your area were voted in by (thoretically) all 10,000 people, with those that 'represent' the most people becoming the elected TD's.

The M28 group shouldn't claim to 'represent' 10,000 people unless they have proof of that many people in favour of their project.

Great to hear this is going ahead, I hope there will be accompanying walking and cycling options planned to accompany the changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I replied to your original response so in fairness I'll address the updated version.

They were the only representative group from the area to make a submission on this. There were no groups in the area - either already established community groups or newly formed in response to the proposal - who were in favour of the motorway.

Therefore they were the only group representative of the area of 10,000 people to submit in this process.

This inference that the Steering Group was some minority voice going against the grain just isn't true. I live in the area and there is widespread concern about this, as seen by the large attendances at meetings in the Rochestown Park Hotel.
    Anecdotal evidence, I live in the area (400 meters away) and am good friends with people right next to the road. i'm in full support and I don't know anyone opposing it for reasons other than the slip to the link taking a few minutes longer now off maryborough hill

You should really learn what “represents” means. They have never proven to represent 10,000 people in the area and saying so is factually incorrect with providing proof of the claim.

Definition: be entitled or appointed to act or speak for (someone), especially in an official capacity.

Are you actually saying the group is entitled or have been appointed to act for all 10,000 people in that are. Are you really saying that?

• Advertisement

I also live the area and I for one am not represented by these people and none of my neighbours have ever given the opinion that they are against this road.

Advertisement