Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I wonder when the Maryborough Hill, Mount Oval and Rochestown on/off ramps will be closed. Given how close they are to eachother, I wonder if they’ll stagger it or can they

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for the final 1.5km of single carriageway (protected) from Barnhely to the Port.

https://www.etenders.gov.ie/epps/cft/prepareViewCfTWS.do?resourceId=3658168

Est value is 22m euro. Significant earthworks are involved in this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Good news.

Did anybody find out the actual reason/s why this was separated out from the main M28 contract ?

The Service area isn't mentioned in the description, is this going to form a third contract ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

They may want to get that section open first to allow the planned public realm scheme for Ringaskiddy to go ahead sooner rather than later;

Presumably as the service area is on the Port of Cork lands, it is probably for them to build. They probably want it that way too, I'm sure it'll be lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

More "active travel" nonsense. I've been down to Ringaskiddy a lot over the years. There's nothing in it besides the port, playground, café, and a rather dingy pub.

I'm sure they'll add acres of housing estates alright when the motorway is done but that won't makes things better - quite the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

So when the adults in these acres of housing estates want to get to the café, or the kids want to get to the playground, you prefer that they drive or get driven rather than any of this active travel nonsense?

I wonder if construction would have started faster if they had done a two part application. An M28 from Carr’s Hill Interchange south to Ringaskiddy, and then a N28 upgrade from Carr’s Hill Interchange north to the N40. That would also have helped remove the “we don’t want a motorway running through our neighbourhood” crowd since it wouldn’t be a motorway, it would be a road upgrade. And also the Raffeen objections wouldn’t have delayed the N28 north upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is plenty of public spaces, parklands and also a beach down there.
    Its ripe for active travel, given there are plans for a bike lane/greenway all the way to Cork via Crosshaven and Douglas via Ballybrack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Has full construction finally started on this scheme now?

• Advertisement

Nope and it won't for some time. Two separate construction contracts:

M28 Motorway Section from Rochestown to Ringaskiddy - Preliminary/Enabling works underway. Invitation for tender for construction has not been issued yet unfortunately. Time is running out for the stated 2024 start.

N28 Protected Road Section of the M28 from Barnahely to Ringaskiddy (1.5km Single Carriageway). Invitation to tender for construction issued on 30th May 2024, closing date for receipt of tenders and due date for opening of tenders is 19th July 2024.

A prior information notice covering both of the above was issued in June 2023.

A €16m contract for Technical Advisors for the above was awarded to Jacobs Engineering in November 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

DDifficult to understand why they went ahead and cleared the route - and chopped down so many trees etc - when the work won't start for a couple of years and the landscaping won't be done, to fix it, for probably 6 years.

And a lot of the trees are starting to grow back

The preliminary/enabling works that are taking place at present are significant and go well beyond other contracts where this phase often involves no more than fencing the route. In addition to chopping down trees, there is substantial amount of work involved in diverting utilities, site and access road work etc. There has also been an extensive Archeological survey. These works were specifically pulled forward so that the main contractor can "hit the ground running" when the construction contract is awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Fair enough. However, some of the route looks like a bomb went off and it seems unreasonable to not have timed it to be done just in time for the next stage. Mount Oval/Broadale/Maryborough Hill in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

This was done in an attempt to make some progress on the project despite the transport ministers best efforts to halt it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I have phrased it incorrectly…..

He doesn’t have the powers to stop projects so he slows them to a snails pace instead. At various stages his signature was required to move to the next. He delayed that as much as possible. There are newspaper articles on it if you want to google it.

How many months ago did the final permission come through for the N28? And a 2025 start is mooted.

Yet we know that the Adare bypass will have a Sept 2027 completion date. It’s amazing what can be achieved when JP puts a bit of pressure on Eamonn

I am pro road construction however I’d laugh if some pricks took the Adare bypass to judicial review just to shove the governments nose in it. (if it’s not too late - I’m not following that scheme’s progress)

Post edited by cjpm on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Limerick to Foynes road had three judicial reviews instigated against it but all three were settled out of court.

They wouldn't have put the construction contract out to tender if there was still a chance of planning being quashed.

Settled out of court….. aka Paid off to drop the case??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm not sure you're right in your thinking here, I've never seen any sign of the N28 being delayed by the minister? I know he got his oar into plenty projects but never saw anything about this one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This project has been in no way delayed by Eamon Ryan. It was delayed due to the judicial reviews, but since then it has hit green lights along the way. TII have been clear from day 1 that there was at best a 3 year advance works programme due to some of the complexities associated with this project (utility diversions etc). It has progressed as planned since mid 2021.

Eamon Ryan’s delays only seem to affect projects earlier in the project cycle. Projects post planning have been immune to the stonewalling (M21, M28 and N5 along with the smaller bypass projects)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

The advance works also appear to include building most or all of the embankment within the quarry, and miscellaneous earthworks elsewhere too as a sort of side effect of the utilities diversion. Seems to have been a very big contract.

It is indeed large. The 2023 TII allocation for the M28 was €19m and the 2024 allocation is €17.6m. While this includes a number of elements over and above the prelims, a substantial amount of it is to cover those – I remember a total figure of €30m being mentioned in relation to the prelims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

"Prelims" doesn't mean preliminary works. Prelims are costs incurred but which don't form part of the finished project (things like site offices, insurances, traffic management, etc.). Not sure about these big road projects but a general rule of thumb was prelims would be about 10% of the project cost (usually higher now). If this project is going to cost €300m, a rough estimate of prelims could be €30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've said it before about this kind of project with large pre-construction scope.

To us, no it hasn't started as in construction tenders have not been awarded. To the non-boards.ie, non road nerd, then yes work has started as the preliminary contracts involve clearing, digging, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

…from the Dunkettle newsletter email last of the 12th July.

Slow-ish progress overall, but at least it's progress. It will be great to see construction in full swing, although I do appreciate that a lot of prep work is being done quietly.

Advertisement