Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermaltake Lanfire Xaser III

Options
  • 03-01-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

im thinking of buying this case from komplett and was just wondering if anyone out there has it and if its worth the money,or any other info you'd like to share with me,
    here it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I had that case but got rid of it.

1. Its f*ing HUGE!
    2. Extremely Heavy
    3. All the lovely extra's are cheap and break.
    4. If you want to remove the top fan controller nothing else really fits there nicely.

But no other problems than that. :p
    Btw. i bought a Thermaltake Tsunami to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

would you reccomend the tsunami,i was lookin at it earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Never had the Lanfire but used to have a Tt XaserIII case and while big and heavy the overall construction was very sound. I would recommend a Cooler Master Wavemaster case tho over the Tt tusami rip off as the construction and quality is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

The Tsunami case is fully aluminum and is a great case.
    Very light and has a brilliant finish to it.
    Much better than the Coolermaster....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

1. Its f*ing HUGE!
    2. Extremely Heavy
    4. If you want to remove the top fan controller nothing else really fits there nicely.

But no other problems than that.

You mixed it up with the full xaser 3 tower which is what you described above. The lanfire is a much smaller, much lighter version of the full tower, hence the lanfire name. It's only 4kg without psu compared to 14kg of the full tower. I've had the case for the last year. The build quality is excellent. The fans make little noise, even on full power and I have had no problems with it at all. Great case if you like the look of it. The only bad point I can give it is that you can only fit a max of 4 HD's with the cage that's in provided. Most people will never have more than 4 though.

Here's mine with some uv and blue light.

http://members.boards.ie/jason/P9250050.JPG

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I like the look of the thermaltake logo lanfire except for maybe the logo on the front which probably aint as tastefull as the other thermaltake cases. But case is still excellent overall particularly the window.

BloodBath wrote:
    You mixed it up with the full xaser 3 tower which is what you described above. The lanfire is a much smaller, much lighter version of the full tower, hence the lanfire name. It's only 4kg without psu compared to 14kg of the full tower. I've had the case for the last year. The build quality is excellent. The fans make little noise, even on full power and I have had no problems with it at all. Great case if you like the look of it. The only bad point I can give it is that you can only fit a max of 4 HD's with the cage that's in provided. Most people will never have more than 4 though.

Here's mine with some uv and blue light.

http://members.boards.ie/jason/P9250050.JPG

BloodBath

you got any more pics of your case Bloodbath, it may just convince me to get one!

Diabolus wrote:
    The Tsunami case is fully aluminum and is a great case.
    Very light and has a brilliant finish to it.
    Much better than the Coolermaster....

You might as well sleep here as in bed mate. Coolermaster are light years ahead of Tt construction wise.

Venom wrote:
    You might as well sleep here as in bed mate. Coolermaster are light years ahead of Tt construction wise.

can you elaborate on the Venom

kinkstr wrote:
    can you elaborate on the Venom

Its the level of quality in construction and function of CM cases when compaired to Tt cases. I loved my Tt Xaser III case and it served me well for the best part of 3 years but it pales in comparision when placed next to my Stacker.

• Advertisement

i really dont know which case to get now lol
    my budget is around 100 yo yo's so if anyone wants to show me another case go right ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

The tsunami is an absolute hoover, silent fans my f'n arse. The front door doesnt close nicely, and the window looks like ass. I used it in a build for my neighbours and i would have given it back to them if it was for me.
    Avoid like the plague.
    If you can stretch to €120 get the Antec Sonata. Beautiful build quality, excellent bundled power supply and the quietest pc ive ever worked with (not including old pieces of crap that didnt need system fans). Not to mention it looks good. Couldnt recommend it any more highly.
    Hope you make the right choice and enjoy the sonata :)

the antec sonata looks very good, im putting an AMD 64 3000+ in it,i dont think the 380 watt psu included will have enought juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have the Lanfire since late '03 and pretty happy with it. Only 4KG net weight which is pretty amazing. I found the finish not as good as it was described in reviews
    Azza wrote:
    Yeah I like the look of the thermaltake logo lanfire except for maybe the logo on the front which probably aint as tastefull

Yeah logo is tacky. I ripped it off long time ago :)

I don't think Komplett sell the Lanfire, are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

kinkstr, I have an A64 3000+ in mine clocked up to 2380. Thats an extra 530mhz. Also have a 6800gt (overckied) and 2 hdds. The PSU comes under some strain, so I duct-taped an extra 92mm fan onto its intake :) The single 80mm fan it comes with just cant hack it. If you add another one you will have no problems at all (disclaimer!).
    The fan I added is on the PSU's special fan rail which only puts outs low volts, eg 7-8v, so I cant even hear it at all. You'll be very pleased with it if u do get it.

Only thing I can say against it is that the extra fan position for an intake is awfully placed. If you get it get an extra 80mm fan and attach it to the very front bottom of the case beside the HDD bay. This will pull in air much much better, as the standard position is a bit useless. That said, even with my system burning full load the exhaust from the case fan never gets remotely warm so u might not even need to do that.

enjoy the silence ;)

i dont intend to over clock it,there will be a 5600 256mb,a 200 or 250 gb hdd, dvd burner and a sound card,do you think i will need an extra fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

padraigf wrote:
    If you get it get an extra 80mm fan and attach it to the very front bottom of the case beside the HDD bay. This will pull in air much much better, as the standard position is a bit useless

The case fan that sucks air from the outside into the HDD bay is on the right of the case (looking towards the front)

It is the only fan I usually have on full speed (barely audible compared to the other fans as this side of the case is facing away from me). I find this casefan hugely effective in cooling my side by side Samsung SATA 160GB that work very hard for me in RAID0 :D

The airflow in this case is very good. Did you have any (heat) issues padraigf that made you install an additional case fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I've built my own PC into a Xaser III. Personally, I like the case, but given the choice again, I'd go for the Sonata. It's an excellent box - quality engineering.

Two mates of mine have built machines with the Sonata and they're well chuffed with it.

if finally settled on this one, thanx for the input though

Diabolus wrote:

1. Its f*ing HUGE!
    2. Extremely Heavy

But no other problems than that. :p
    Sorry for the hijack!

Did you get the extra sound/mic ports on the top of the case working?
    If so, what soundcard did you have?

Ideally, I'd like to plug headphones/mic into the top ports and automatically disable the output to speakers - you know, like a normal stereo when you plug in headphones.

Cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

kinkstr wrote:
    if finally settled on this one, thanx for the input though

Nice choice Kinkstr.

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with my Thermaltake V8000A Xaser V. The fans are not too loud, considering there's 5 of the darn things (not including the 2 on my Purepower 560W). Of course the two variable case-fans can make quite a racket at full tilt. :p

I did have a little trouble with a faulty potentiometer (fan control). But Peats staff kindly let me do a swap on thier display model. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

SwampThing wrote:
    Sorry for the hijack!

Did you get the extra sound/mic ports on the top of the case working?
    If so, what soundcard did you have?

Ideally, I'd like to plug headphones/mic into the top ports and automatically disable the output to speakers - you know, like a normal stereo when you plug in headphones.

Cheers...

I don't think you can do that with these output ports. It only works on stereos because the socket is also a switch that cuts the main audio signal. The sockets on any PC cases that I've seen don't have that capability. You'd have to mod the sockets yourself so that inserting the phones cuts the audio out on the card. Suitable sockets should be available at the likes of Peats and Maplins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

While we're on cases, I might as well hijack this thread :p
    Anyone got any recommendations for something similarly sized to the Antec super lanboy with 120mm fan mounts? Need something that's not going to be a pain in the rear end to haul around for March, plenty time for shopping :)

The Dr00g wrote:
    I don't think you can do that with these output ports. It only works on stereos because the socket is also a switch that cuts the main audio signal. The sockets on any PC cases that I've seen don't have that capability. You'd have to mod the sockets yourself so that inserting the phones cuts the audio out on the card. Suitable sockets should be available at the likes of Peats and Maplins etc.
    Is it not a feature of the soundcard and not the ports? You could be 100% right, but I honestly thought it was a function of the soundcard to disable sound to one port of the other was connected. Why else would the ports be fitted to the case? As I said, I could be way off here. Thanks anyway

Advertisement