Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Business Networking

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

djk1000 wrote:
    Meet in Dublin
    #

Damn centralised Jackeens....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

#

Damn centralised Jackeens....

I second that, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I have absolutely no objection to writing off a trip to the country as a business expense! But I think Dublin makes sense for our first couple of meetings at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I've just counted up those interested this time and I think I make it 12 - personally I think that's a good start and is possibly enough but the more the merrier but as is we can nearly proceed - as to venue, I think we should stick to Dublin and preferably Citywest type location - I'm not from Dublin but the midlands but Dublin is where it's at so I'm happy to travel:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I was going to offer a place to host it as I was hoping to have an office share in the city centre sorted out by now, but it is taking longer than I expected to do anything with this particular landlord according to the guy who found the office.

Will still be interested in attending the meeting anyhoo

• Advertisement

we're not going to let this thread die and forget about it again are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Nope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Dublin is a 3 hour drive for me but I don't mind us holding the first one there - preferably CityWest though please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I'm down the country so I don't think I could make Dublin...But anyways, it sounds like a good idea for people who would be living/meeting in Dublin.

Think however, yee should organise a structure for the meetings before yee actually meet up and agree on certain things such as who should chair meetings, what should the agenda be, should there be a fee for joining, is it open to all comers...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, i think its an interesting idea, and it fits in with the spirit of boards tbh.

the site was set up with a community of gamers in mind, and i formed the work forum as a way for people within the community to look for jobs, and get advice from each other.

so i like it.

im interested in being involved, my only problem is that i need to speak to key people within companies, director level or CxO level preferably.

so while i am happy to help out in anyway, personally, i dont see much in it for me. and im in sales, so there always has to be something in it for me ;)

• Advertisement

so while i am happy to help out in anyway, personally, i dont see much in it for me. and im in sales, so there always has to be something in it for me ;)

I think you should chair it then, that's what we'll give you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TabulaRasa22

im interested in being involved, my only problem is that i need to speak to key people within companies, director level or CxO level preferably.

If you're only on commission I'd say you are right, baby! :D You're coming at this from the angle of turning it directly into sales, which I'm not sure is the spirit of the event. Pitching a product repeatedly upsets people, apparently, as was mentioned above. Still I'm afraid I agree with your post, most business people, of a higher level anyway, are going to be too busy with their actual business to take the time out for a "networking" event. I work 12 hours a day on average, in one of the most ruthless, cut throat and fast changing industries around, and the weekends are another weekday for me.

Its like those Business Awards you may see from time to time; the first time those fellas will ever hear about me is when I buy them out through a shell company to leverage them as a carrot for an important prospect. For what its worth, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer win the business award. Or the variety of business coaches and management courses floating around; if a company hasn't worked out the most efficient and streamlined way to operate within three years of being founded, I'd like to know what business they are in, so I can move into it. And the only way to become a manager is to learn and understand every aspect of a particular business, and preferably be able to do it yourself.

So, a networking event. Like whitewashman here, I'd ask myself what direct benefit I can gain from it. There is the exchange of job information, fair enough, but what if you have three plumbers in the group, which one gets the jobs? Or is it down to who is the nicest? Not to mention a lot of our work is fairly cutting edge, and even talking about our efforts to someone who has no direct interest in it might be a bad idea. If I thought there were competitors there, I might go on a fishing expedition, which makes me not a particularily welcome guest.

I'm not trying to shoot down the idea, or upset anyone, just giving feedback from an actual business person running a successful business. It just seems to be moving the playing field from a business one to a semi-political one.

The important thing about this event is to get it up and running first and then participants can judge for themselves if it's approprate for them or not - if you're doing 12 hour days and working weekends and are up the walls busy then maybe it's not a good idea to heap more onto you're plate however if you want to move away from 12 hour days and explore new opportunities and be open to new ideas, then maybe it is!.:cool:

The agenda is straightforward - meet and discuss and interact - some will benefit and some won't but that's the nature of it.

I think it's a great idea and will work fine if people are open to the idea and don't try to complicate it.

Citywest works for me in July, pref week of 17th July.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Citywest isnt great for me,

Town is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TabulaRasa22

mox54 wrote:
    The important thing about this event is to get it up and running first and then participants can judge for themselves if it's approprate for them or not

I'd have thought it would be better to work out the cost-benefit analysis first, before going to a lot of trouble...
    mox54 wrote:
    if you're doing 12 hour days and working weekends and are up the walls busy then maybe it's not a good idea to heap more onto you're plate however if you want to move away from 12 hour days and explore new opportunities and be open to new ideas, then maybe it is!

No one would like to move to a 9 to 5 schedule more than me, and if thats a benefit that this event can bring to the table, sign me up! But I just don't see how it would achieve that goal. I mean if you want to set up a network of cooperating businesses, just set up an actual co-op with one business of each type, I can see that being useful. If this is about sales, I don't see how it would be more effective than hiring actual sales reps to pound the pavement.

The Boards networking meeting is beginning to slip down again towards the abyss - to be moved onto page 2 and forgotten again!!! - pity! :(

mods? this needs to be madea sticky!

It's not being forgotten, I think people are waiting for somebody to take the initiative and book somewhere.

what about having the meeting at the same place and time as the next boards beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

When is the next boards beer meeting on then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

kluivert wrote:
    When is the next boards beer meeting on then.

clicky linky!

Anyone up for meeting at the next Boards beers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bob90909

djk1000 wrote:
    Wow, this is a great response compared to the response I got last year. I will organise a room for this in Dublin somewhere if we have enough attending. If it is only a few people then i would suggest that we just meet for free in a hotel lobby or coffee shop.m Looks like mid July is a good first date.
    Did your networking event ever materialise? Sounded like a great idea Im just 6-8 months too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Biznet

please dont advertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Biznet wrote:
    Hi all,
    We are in the process of launching insert url here over the coming weeks, I would look forward to any feedback anyone has and if you want to get in touch directly please do so at caroline at biznet dot ie.
    Our research backs up everything said here and I think business working together like this is the way of the future!
    Thanks,
    Caroline

Still lots of work to be done here :-)

Advertisement