Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Irish people are FAT

• 03-01-2005 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

I used to think the statistic that 40% of Irish people are overweight or obese was an exaggeration. But lately I'm starting to think that it's a lot more than 40%, possibly closer to 75% based on my own observations!

I'm about average height and weigh 11 - 11.5 stone with low bodyfat. My BMI is average and is closer to the overweight end of the scale than the underweight. Yet I am constantly being told how thin I am and I *do* feel thin compared to most men I see. Most guys my age are a lot bulkier, I'd estimate most are 2+ stone heavier with a lot of that weight being made up of a flabby mass around their belly :)

In some ways it's a bollox being of average weight these days. The norm is to be overweight. If you're thinner than this you get:
    -people thinking you're younger than you are
    -comments about how you must starve yourself and spend every waking hour in the gym (said in a sneering way)
    -women regarding you as weak and unmasculine and not a real man.
    -difficulty finding clothes. I've gone into shops where the smallest waist size trousers they had in stock was 34 inches.

What the hell is happening in this country. We're turning into a crowd of feckin fatsos. Getting more like the Yanks every day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

yea i agree its a b**ch tryin to find clothes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

*nyom* *nyom*
    cant.....post.....

...eating mcdonalds.....
    *munch Nyom*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Heineken

Yeah there's an awful lot of people in Ireland that are either fat or skinny fat, which is when someones skinny but has flab all over the gaf anyway!

Just join a gym and bulk up if you're THAT concerned with looking "weak".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

You say you're average height, yet you only give us your approximate weight, why is that?

Have you actually had a skin fold test done to calculate your body fat or did you just do your own BMI, like many people have done, from the calculator on the back of Special K boxes?

What exercise do you do?

And how often do you participate in exercise?

What is the intensity of your exercise?

You don't have to be fat to be at risk of sedentary diseases such as Heart disease, type II diabetes etc.

I think it is unfair of you to label all men who are bigger/bulkier than you as being fat/overweight as they may have lower body fat content than you, they could do more exercise than yet and generally be fitter than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

BrianD3 wrote:
    If you're thinner than this you get:
    -people thinking you're younger than you are
    -comments about how you must starve yourself and spend every waking hour in the gym (said in a sneering way)
    -women regarding you as weak and unmasculine and not a real man.
    -difficulty finding clothes. I've gone into shops where the smallest waist size trousers they had in stock was 34 inches.

Ive never experienced anything close to that
    Where abouts in Ireland are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Snaga wrote:
    *nyom* *nyom*
    cant.....post.....

...eating mcdonalds.....
    *munch Nyom*

/me +reps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

???

i'm a fat basterd. not proud of it and i am trying to get my wieght down.

but

-what age group are you drawing this from? in my age group (19-20) i tend to find only 1 fat person in a group of 10.

-which shops are these? I tend to find that marks and spencers is the only place with a comfortable clothese line for obese people.
    -i get comments on how i must eat in mcdonalds every day etc etc.
    -women regarding me as a unattractive fat basterd.

*door can swing both ways*

Amz wrote:
    You say you're average height, yet you only give us your approximate weight, why is that?

Have you actually had a skin fold test done to calculate your body fat or did you just do your own BMI, like many people have done, from the calculator on the back of Special K boxes?

What exercise do you do?

You don't have to be fat to be at risk of sedentary diseases such as Heart disease, type II diabetes etc.

I think it is unfair of you to label all men who are bigger/bulkier than you as being fat/overweight as they may have lower body fat content than you, they could do more exercise than yet and generally be fitter than you.

I think by bigger/bulkier he meant FATTER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

He's only assuming they're fatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I agree with the thread starter.
    I am 6ft 2 and 12.5 stone.I have a light frame but I am wirey.
    I noticed lately that I am putting on a bit of a belly .
    I keep a healthy lifestyle,I play alot of soccer ,golf,tennis,drink moderately and I dont eat fast food.
    I have my own gym at home.
    I am shocked at what my friends eat in their diet and the amount of drink they consume.
    Irish women are no better and they actually seem to like being big.
    I like a voluptuous figure but there is a difference between fat and voluptuous.
    Alot of people seem to snigger when I say I work out twice a week which is very little to be honest.
    Its predominately ignorance that people are overweight.
    As Billy Connelly said there is no such thing as being big boned.
    Big belly bone and a big arse bone dont exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

tis nice being able to eat what you like and able to stay under eight stone. if people took walks and did abit of excersise instead of driving down to the corner shop or sitting infront of the telly all night they would not pile on the pounds.

another tip walk the kids to school, or even walk to the bus stop and get the bus if the school is far away. driving your kids to school everyday is not doing them any good.

tis nice being able to eat what you like and able to stay under eight stone. if people took walks and did abit of excersise instead of driving down to the corner shop or sitting infront of the telly all night they would not pile on the pounds.

another tip walk the kids to school, or even walk to the bus stop and get the bus if the school is far away. driving your kids to school everyday is not doing them any good.

lmao you're under 8 stone? Unless you're a girl thats overly skinny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Amz wrote:
    Aren't you doing some sports science or nutrition course? If you are you should know that everyone's weight varies depending on level of hydration, amount of food in the intestine etc. It is entirely possible and normal for me to weigh 11 stone when I get up in the morning and be 5 or 6 pounds heavier by the end of the day. That's why I gave a range of weights, OK.
    I haven't had a skin fold test, no. However, based on my six pack, waist measurement and my overall muscle definition I think it's pretty safe to say my bodyfat is around 10% or less.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing a BMI calculation. Although not perfect BMI is a good indication of health for most people. And whether you calculate it from a formula on the back of a cornflakes box or from medical book is irrelevant as the calculation is the same
    What exercise do you do?

Well I do weights, swimming and punch the sh1te out of a heavy bag several times a week. I'd say it works out at around 1/2-3/4 hour of intense activity per day.
    He's only assuming they're fatter.
    The only way those guys have lower bodyfat than me is if that big bulging beer belly that gives them a 36 inch waist is composed of muscle...which it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

so do you just not like fat people or somethin.. why do you care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Unless he does some sport where he has to be under 8 stone :)

It's not that people don't like fat people, but the obvious connotations that are ingrained into people's heads about fat people will automatically come into play - no self control, weakness, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BrianD3 wrote:
    I haven't had a skin fold test, no. However, based on my six pack, waist measurement and my overall muscle definition I think it's pretty safe to say my bodyfat is around 10% or less.
    I know a marathon runner who had body fat of 14%,(tested by TCD). I'd be surprised if you were under 10%. By the same token a rugby player I met , who by your description was built like yourself, "had" a 36 inch waist on account of his huge leg muscles. For the rest of us 20-25% is OK but yet at this point we are over twice what your "BMI" is. We come in all shapes and sizes and as long as we eat wisely , exercise enough and stay within 10% of our ideal weight we'll do fine.

so do you just not like fat people or somethin.. why do you care?
    As I said already - I care because I constantly get people telling me I'm "skinny" when according to medical experts I'm in the right weight range for my height. IMO the fact that Irish society is getting fatter by the day is the reason for this wrong perception of what is skinny and what is average.

BrianD3

BrianD3 wrote:
    BrianD3
    haven't found this myself. Usually have to go through a range of stuff, in some shops from 28-42 or so

so you're upset because people tell you you're skinny even though you're actually 'normal'...

BIG ****IN DEAL!

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    I know a marathon runner who had body fat of 14%,(tested by TCD). I'd be surprised if you were under 10%. By the same token a rugby player I met , who by your description was built like yourself, "had" a 36 inch waist on account of his huge leg muscles. For the rest of us 20-25% is OK but yet at this point we are over twice what your "BMI" is. We come in all shapes and sizes and as long as we eat wisely , exercise enough and stay within 10% of our ideal weight we'll do fine.
    What are you talking about? Leg muscles do not contribute to your waist measurement. I assume you mean hips. FWIW my waist is 27-28" around and my hips are 35-36" around.

And any man who has 25% bodyfat is FAT. It is unhealthy, even if his BMI is OK. BMI would probably fall down for someone with this level of bodyfat i.e it would be an underestimate.

BrianD3

jesus man, get over it!!

BrianD3 wrote:
    What are you talking about? Leg muscles do not contribute to your waist measurement. I assume you mean hips. FWIW my waist is 27-28" around and my hips are 35-36" around.

And any man who has 25% bodyfat is FAT. It is unhealthy, even if his BMI is OK. BMI would probably fall down for someone with this level of bodyfat i.e it would be an underestimate.

BrianD3
    Think this really sums up your case. Point about the big legs is that he couldn't fit into anything smaller than 36 at the time. Didn't make him fat though. He weighed 106 KG of muscle and could bench press 250KG :D
    Here is a link that might clarify what I am talking about INDI website You will note that 18.5 is underweight and I think they know what they are talking about.

Think this really sums up your case.Point about the big legs is that he couldn't fit into anything smaller than 36 at the time. Didn't make him fat though.
    OK point taken. I thought you were referring to his actual waist size rather than the waist size of the trousers which were big enough for his legs. I don't normally have this problem myself as my legs are reasonably thin and in proportion to the rest of me. However as I stated earlier there have been times when the smallest waist size in the shop has been 34 which would fall off me on the waist, hips and legs. When I asked the dumb sh1t working there why there werent' any smaller sizes in stock the answer I got was that they were sold out of the youth sizes :rolleyes:

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

could bench press 250KG
    Was he an Olympic Weight Lifter ?
    Very few men on the planet could lift that weight.
    Average man can bench press 66Kg.

well that's not true... people who do weightlifting are not the average man.. if you've been lifting for a good long time you could go well over 250kg

66KG is not a lot,can do that myself (I think) I have seen a good number of guys in my gym take on well over 100KG in a bench press so would believe him. 250KG is not massive either. but you wouldn't do many.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good thread on a related topic in the humanities forum.

250 kg is a massive bench press by anyone's standards. That's 550 pounds! saying that 250 kg is not massive because lots of guys can bench 100 kg is flawed logic.

There is a guy who posts on the boards.ie Fitness board who is an absolute monster and has won numerous competitions in the UK/Ire. AFAIK his best bench is around 500 pounds.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    250 kg is a massive bench press by anyone's standards. That's 550 pounds! saying that 250 kg is not massive because lots of guys can bench 100 kg is flawed logic.

There is a guy who posts on the boards.ie Fitness board who is an absolute monster and has won numerous competitions in the UK/Ire. AFAIK his best bench is around 500 pounds.

Hmm not claiming to be an expert, just that I believed the guy. As far as I recall he was weight training/bodybuilding 3/4 times a week at that time. Not only that he would have been doing rugby training as well, pushing that scrum thing. It was more strength training than for physical display. Having seen the big guys in my gym they do these kind of big weights to compete. They even have their own special room, scary place. Mostly they only do a few of them 2-5(I think) although I have no doubt some of them only get one, but it still counts. They still get to boast about it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If it upsets you so much BrianD3 you should go on a good fatty diet that will show all those mean people who call you those nasty things.

In any case, the number of people that can bench 500 lbs (or 400 lbs, or 300 lbs) is small. Many of these people will have a BMI of over 30 putting them in the obese category even though bodyfat may be low. BMI falls down completely for these people.

BrianD3

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Half of you are trying to draw this guy into saying something he's not.

Built people are built people.

fat man,

built man.

The difference is obvious. :confused: .

BrianD3 wrote:
    In any case, the number of people that can bench 500 lbs (or 400 lbs, or 300 lbs) is small. Many of these people will have a BMI of over 30 putting them in the obese category even though bodyfat may be low. BMI falls down completely for these people.

BrianD3

Well he's "retired" now and still not a pick on him, trained down to get rid of the extra weight. Nutritionists use this clamp thing as well to pinch the skin folds (have been threatened with it) to help in the measure. A handy reckoner I'm told is that if you can get a full handful of skin then you're more likely to be heading towards obesity (everyone pinches themselves :D). That covers very muscular people, but you're right Brian, they can end up with serious problems if they don't lose it.

If it upsets you so much BrianD3 you should go on a good fatty diet that will show all those mean people who call you those nasty things.
    Are you an average, healthy weight? If you are, how would you like it if people starting saying you were overweight and calling you a lazy, fat slob etc. Would you then go and starve yourself to please them?

See, it works both ways.

I'm not exactly "upset" about the whole thing, it just annoys me somewhat. I usually laugh it off when someone tells me I'm skinny.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im well overweight I choose to be overweight I eat a very poor diet and drink like a fish. People sometimes comment im heavy doesnt bother me in the least tbh. If I ever want to loose weight it will be for myself not for anyone else. Frankly your even worse for taking heed of them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

As I said already - I care because I constantly get people telling me I'm "skinny" when according to medical experts I'm in the right weight range for my height.

Yep, I get that too. And I'm nowhere near underweight - I'm just in the middle of that curve thingy.
    so you're upset because people tell you you're skinny even though you're actually 'normal'...

He's not upset, read the bloody thread. His point was that Irish people are getting fatter, which is something I agree with.

I read a study recently which blamed it on the new suburban cornershop phenomenon, whereby people are too lazy/don't have the means to get to a big supermarket, and thus end up buying all their food in small newsagents and Centras, hence not getting enough fruit/vegetables and instead opting for more convenience food. Also, most people in Ireland don't have a clue about nutrition - just look at all the idiots who went for the Atkins diet.

But to whoever said we're getting to be like the Yanks - not just yet anyways. I've been to America, and there are some ****ing FAT people there, and I mean Jerry Springer fat. And nobody bats an eyelid.

It IS true, things really ARE bigger in America..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

I'm a girl, I'm five foot five, maybe six, not too sure, and I weigh 13 stone. According to online BMI's, etc, I'm hideously overweight.The fact that I have large breasts and a large amount of muscle is disregarded.

Stop talking sh*te and get a life. If that you're a decent healthy weight bothers you, then something else aint all to healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The problem with most of these measuring tools is that they only apply within a specific range. Take me for example..

I'm 5'7" and I weigh 13.5 Stone/190 Pounds...give or take

Now according to BMI I'm bordering on Obese... :D I have a small bit of weight on my stomach because I've been injured and not training (which will soon be corrected) but that's about it.

I spent 5 years working in construction which led to a developed upper body and broad shoulders, and having spent my teenage years training for cross country and soccer my legs are also quite large, considering my height etc..and I also have "Big Bones" (I know, I know, the age old excuse of the naive, but true nonetheless) The BMI does not take any of that into account.

Similarly, although my Bodyfat % is probably a lot higher than I would like (I haven't had it checked recently) I would still be more than capable of running a mile in less than 5 minutes, or running 10 miles in less than 80/90 minutes. I would consider myself reasonably fit, with some work to do, but I have a 36" inch waist, and I've been called fat on more than one occasion...

I don't think I'm fat and I don't really pay attention to what other people say, my advice to you is to do the same. The only time you need to worry about it is if you start to feel it yourself. I don't think Irish people in general are getting fatter, but I do think that Irish children are being exposed to more of the wrong foods, and that it may be a problem for the next generation.

edibility wrote:
    I'm a girl, I'm five foot five, maybe six, not too sure, and I weigh 13 stone. According to online BMI's, etc, I'm hideously overweight.The fact that I have large breasts and a large amount of muscle is disregarded.

Stop talking sh*te and get a life. If that you're a decent healthy weight bothers you, then something else aint all to healthy.

So you say you have a "large amount of muscle". What are you - a rugby forward? A bodybuilder? A powerlifter? How did you build this muscle?

Most of the time when people state they have enough muscle to invalidate BMI and don't elaborate, it's *they* who are talking sh*te.

Also, your breasts are not inert objects which are magically making you weigh 13 stone. They contain fat cells. If you lose weight/bodyfat it is likely that your breasts will decrease somewhat in both size and weight. In other words, you're not heavy because you're big breasted, you're big breasted (at least partly) because you're heavy.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

haha that kids got bussoms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What the hell are ye doin picking holes in each others arguments instead of discussing the fact that ireland has/hasnt a problem with obesity or whatever? This is the general gist of the convo
    -ireland has the wrong approach to obesity
    -maybe YOUR obese
    -im not i bench press and all
    -i knew a guy who could bench press way more than you
    -i think your lying
    -im not lying
    - i have loadsa muscle
    -ya dont have loadsa muscle

And so on and so forth, and in the meantime the fat population of ireland are eagerly awaiting intelligent opinions and advice from boards members so they can change their lives*

Argh, end of venting

*statement may not be true

ColHol wrote:
    What the hell are ye doin picking holes in each others arguments instead of discussing the fact that ireland has/hasnt a problem with obesity or whatever? This is the general gist of the convo
    -maybe YOUR obese
    -i think your lying
    -im not lying
    - i have loadsa muscle

And so on and so forth, and in the meantime the fat population of ireland are eagerly awaiting intelligent opinions and advice from boards members so they can change their lives*

Argh, end of venting

*statement may not be true

Yep I did say something in the middle of that before I was "distracted" :p

ColHol wrote:
    -maybe YOUR obese
    -i think your lying
    -im not lying
    - i have loadsa muscle
    Have to say I've spent the last few minutes LMAO at this post. Very good and funny sum up of the thread :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ok, anyone who follows the Fitness forum will know that BrianD3 does a lot of fitness work and knows his stuff about how he trains, so can we drop it please?
    Brian, you said your closer to the overweight end of scale of the BMI, well thats most likely because of your muscle weight, especially if you have a six pack. The BMI is designed for sedantary people, ever if you are 'broad' or 'big-boned'.

You claim that you are seen as unmasculine, skinny because you are a normal weight, well you have brought this up many, many times. You say people are saying you are small, too thin, stuff like you want to wear your shirt tucked in to highlight your V-taper etc.,. Basically you think people see you as weak when you are most certainly not, you think they see you as small compared to fat people. I dont think anyone, ever thinks that. Although on overweight, you can sometimes see they are/were big, like ex-rugby players.

However my point is, you have chip on your shoulder about your size, You know what you should do? Do something about it. My God, you know you have the dedication for training, so why not change from mostly cardio to bulking up?

And Ireland is getting fat.

Sangre I guess you're right. Being perceived as weak and small is a bit of a hobby horse of mine. Now that you mention it, I guess I have brought it up a few times on various forums.

I am doing somthing about it though as I mostly concentrate on heavy (for me) weight training. Progress is slow, but that's to be expected.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Heineken wrote:
    haha that kids got bussoms!

:D:D:D Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

ahh poor Brian feels left out cause he aint over weight,

boo hoo you are breaking my heart.

Do you know how many people try to lose weight and cant?

For ****s sake man, grow a pair and be happy that your thin.

And If you cant find trousers smaller than that get your self a belt you jokeshop.

Emmo

Pet wrote:
    He's not upset, read the bloody thread. His point was that Irish people are getting fatter, which is something I agree with.

that's not his point at all... he's is obviously pissed off because he is seen as being weak because of his size, as other people have said!! bringing up the fact that *he* thinks that irish people are fat is just a bull shít excuse for him to start the thread in the first place.

My honest opinion, is to just shut the fúck up.. so what! people call you thin!! who gives a shít, get used to it

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    that's not his point at all... he's is obviously pissed off because he is seen as being weak because of his size, as other people have said!! bringing up the fact that *he* thinks that irish people are fat is just a bull shít excuse for him to start the thread in the first place.

My honest opinion, is to just shut the fúck up.. so what! people call you thin!! who gives a shít, get used to it

whereami.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement