Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot wiring my Dell

Options
  • 03-01-2005 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell case (Dimension 8300)

Dell_Dimension_8300.jpg

I want to fit it with a motherboard and other parts to get it working, this will be my third machine modded, i wish to spend no more than 300 euro doing it up as i plan to give it to a local club who are without a computer so plan to purchase parts new or second hand from websites cheaply, im planning on buying into a celeron processor and a 478 mainboard! This computer will be used from everything from office to grafix to movies and internet aswell as webdesign.

I have a few problems though!!!!!!!!!

1. I fitted an older mainboard into this case to get it working, however i noticed this motherboard was way to big and would not fit, so i need to find the max size of a motherboard to buy for it. Does anyone know the dimensions of the motherboard i should use?

2.The pin connecters for the power and usb, sound and led's are on a ribbon type connector and on an unusual connecter where all the wires connect into it, can i buy an adapter for this or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Here is a picture of the old motherboard that was in the macvhine, sadly i dont have the mother board so cant measure it but you can see the connecter (ribbon) belong to the usb in the bottom right as you view it!

dim8300-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Ohh Dell case Dell motherboard Dell PSU
    Not compatable with anything out of the box you have ur work cut out for you.

Good luck Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

case isnt standard ATX size...the PSU wont be standard either...buy a new case

Ah you see the club specifically want a new dell machine, im doing it for them and not charging for my work and buy cheaper parts, i stupidly told them i could get them a full working dell for €450 with a monitor and im going to throw in speakers and keyboards and stuff i already have.

Should i give up? has anyone tried this before? I really dont want to let the club down!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why does it have to be a Dell machine? Its not going to be a Dell besides the badge on the case anyway by the time you're finished.

Most Dell cases will not take standard ATX motherboards and power supplies. If you're really unlucky the machine may have originally come without an AGP port (onboard graphics) so the case won't have a slot for that either. Nasty.

• Advertisement

I know the previous owner, he took out all the parts inside it and moved it to a new case and gave me the dell case, its got room for a grafics port!

Also i have a msi motherboard, i really dont want to take it out of my current machine and try to see if it will fit but i may have no choice.

This is what im planning to purchase (one of the two bundles at the top)..........here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Call me a cynic, but it looks like you're trying to rip off this club by selling them what you claim is a 'New Dell machine'.

If anything im doing myself out of pocket big time, the only consolation i have is that wen im answering emails for the club or helping out i wont have to worry about the dam ting crashing every two seconds, lol, all help is appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

2 funny.... :D

Dell PC + 17" Monitor + Shipping = €299+VAT
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=213176

• Advertisement

**** (can i say that ere?)

Still though is this case i have any use to me then?

Still i really want the fun of building another PC

Still i really want the fun of building another PC and by the time that dell gets to your door its €500 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've said it before on Boards and I'll say it again: Fitting non-Dell motherboard etc. into a Dell case is as much a job for a mechanical engineer as it is for a pc technician. Think angle grinders, jigsaws, drills and dremel cutting tools. :D
    Unless you have the patience of Job and lotsa cutting tools this isn't worth doing. Even when you have modded/cut the s*** outta the metalwork to take 'normal' pc bits, you still gotta work out a conversion for Dell's front panel USB, buttons & lights ribbon cable which is a pain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

neon where did you get 500 from? 299 ex vat free delivery. So it's about 360 euro in total.

neon_glows wrote:
    Still though is this case i have any use to me then?

Not unless you have a Dell motherboard.
    neon_glows wrote:
    Still i really want the fun of building another PC

I thought it was for a club. If it just to keep you amused then go ahead. Its a pointless exercise though. You'd be better with a standard ATX case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Just a thought but - could you get the spec i mean th drawings(plans) of the Dell mobo and then retro fit an ATX mobo by making a ATX/Dell mobo convertor?

Thought:Flat bit of perspex to Dell case and drill holes for spacers and screws for the new ATX case

You'll spend at least a day or two modifying the Dell case and working out the wiring, (the PSU and the case are wired differently) rewiring to end up with a non standard case thats been hacked about. Its not even a Dell anymore. You can buy a standard case for €40-50. Time saved two days minimum, theres also the cost of any materials used. When you take into account a new Dell PC is better value, comes with a warranty, licenced OS, software, everything brand new and colour co-ordinated you'd be nuts to build never mind buy a DIY frankenstein PC horror.

It just doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

neon_glows wrote:
    Still i really want the fun of building another PC and by the time that dell gets to your door its ?500 anyway!

And your selling frankenstein for 450 what the difference - The one from dell has warranty
    Has Os licence - os installed-
    monitor blah blah blah -
    All for 50 euro's more -

Personally if your a dumb user looking for a cheap pc can't build i hate to say it get a dell -

I have built several systems for friends and the worst thing is when something happens they come back to you -

If your only just started to build i can be fun - but it gets really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

neon_glows wrote:
    Still i really want the fun of building another PC and by the time that dell gets to your door its €500 anyway!

The Dell PC is €360 delivered with 1 year support by Dell - Dell pays for any hardware that goes wrong !! why would you bother?

Ah your right guys, way to much hassle wen you do think about it, ill pack the case back to where it came back from but thanks for making me see sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

You can buy a standard case for €40-50.

It just doesn't make any sense.
    Exactly, not expensive at all and will save you a hell of a lot of bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wildchild

I think I know what your up to!! neon nicky

You got a case off somebody and probably paid for it and your trying to get rid of it.

Heres my advice either buy a new case or use a hammer and smash it up.

Dell cases suck anyway.

NOTE: Surfing sucks HA HA

Advertisement