Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICQ, sms and mobile phones...

Options
  • 03-01-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I used to use ICQ going back awhile a lot and I found the free sms to mobile service very handy. Now I downloaded ICQ 4 and now the Vodafone network is not supported. Actually very few networks are supported. Is this true for all versions of ICQ? I used to use... oh ICQ 2003 beta I think it was and it was fine then. Are there any alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Interesting, the webpage always had that very restrictive list but http://go.icq.com used to work fine for me on all networks. Just tried go.icq.com again there and it said "unable to deliver to recipient".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Stark wrote:
    Interesting, the webpage always had that very restrictive list but http://go.icq.com used to work fine for me on all networks. Just tried go.icq.com again there and it said "unable to deliver to recipient".

Yep, I tried the web-based version of icq (icq2go) and same result:

The Cellular network is currently unable to send your message to the recipient. Please try again later.

Hmmm... anyone remember when they last used it successfully?

Its been like this for at least the last year or so, maybe even a year and a half. Have no idea why.

Karsini wrote:
    Its been like this for at least the last year or so, maybe even a year and a half. Have no idea why.

When it was working, I remember reading somewhere or someone mentioned that while it was free to send a sms from icq, it would cost someone double to text back. Hence it made money. Maybe it didn't work out? But it seems far more advanced now... wonder if Vodafone Ireland make it onto the supported mobile network icq list by 2030? :rolleyes:

LOL, well the reply number was an international number, so you were charged the international text message rate to reply back.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    LOL, well the reply number was an international number, so you were charged the international text message rate to reply back.

Thats ok since I used it to send out sms messages only... I normally don't reply to myself :D

Advertisement