Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aib laser card

Options
  • 03-01-2005 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I have had a bank account with AIB since July 2004.
    Can I upgrade to a Laser card now? I heard it can be
    done after 6 month - right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can apply, doesn't nessecarily mean you will get it. Each application afaik is judged individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I thought anyone could apply and get it straight away. Its a form of cash, your not applyin 4 credit....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

True, but you still have to apply for it. Twisted logic I know, applying for a DEBIT card, but what do you expect, this *is* Ireland after all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

yep, as everyone else says, you can apply after 6 months but doesnt mean you may nesscesarily get it!! Thing is with Laser is that sometimes can take up to 3 days for a payment to be processed so in theory you can spend money you dont actually have in the account, i'd imagine thats why they have a vetting process for it.

My mam who's in her 60's but has a few quid saved and a regular pension was denied one by the BOI during the ATM strike because she was a pensioner so therefore not receiving an 'earned income' she went ballistic at the time but didnt follow it through so still doesnt have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

samo wrote:
    Thing is with Laser is that sometimes can take up to 3 days for a payment to be processed so in theory you can spend money you dont actually have in the account, i'd imagine thats why they have a vetting process for it.
    This is the excuse I got from both AIB and BOI when I went looking for one while still a student. It is pretty ridiculous but it does show the level of mistrust banks hold for their customers , even long time customers. Funny thing is over here in Austria everyone (that means everyone from kids to pensioners) gets Maestro functionality (similar to Laser except it's a recognised worldwide standard) as standard on their ATM card.

• Advertisement

samo wrote:
    Thing is with Laser is that sometimes can take up to 3 days for a payment to be processed so in theory you can spend money you dont actually have in the account, i'd imagine thats why they have a vetting process for it.

You can't go WILDLY over though, I used to use this when I was a student and had run out of money...but it's not the consumers problem that Irish banks use such a piece of sh1t, badly designed, useless-outside-Ireland system. They should ditch Laser here and bring in Visa Debit cards, they're 100 times better and wow you can actually use them outside Ireland and on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

make sure your eligible before you apply for it.

i applied for one when i wasnt eligible and didnt get it. [was only on paypath for 4 months, had been wotking in the same job for 2 years.]
    a few months later i apllied for a loan and didnt get it.

one of the reasons i was given was that i had been rejected for a laser card, i said that was nothing to do with me and got told it all goes on your record as bad marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I'd get on to the Irish Credit Bureau Chalk. If they're holding information about you that's incorrect and effecting your credit rating then you can have it ammended/removed.

cheers for that
    printed off a info request form now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Chalk wrote:
    make sure your eligible before you apply for it.

i applied for one when i wasnt eligible and didnt get it. [was only on paypath for 4 months, had been wotking in the same job for 2 years.]
    a few months later i apllied for a loan and didnt get it.

one of the reasons i was given was that i had been rejected for a laser card, i said that was nothing to do with me and got told it all goes on your record as bad marks.

So how long should I have been paid by Paypath before i should apply
    for Laser card? Have been on Paypath since 20/8/2004 but been employed
    in the same job since early July 2004.

• Advertisement

id speak to the bank - preferably not one of the goons they have on the front desk.
    ring the card issuing dept and ask what the requirements are for a laser card.

i think they said 6 months of paypath, but i cant be sure, twas a while ago.

Anyone has the phone number to the card issuing dept @ AIB?

asmith wrote:
    I'd get on to the Irish Credit Bureau Chalk. If they're holding information about you that's incorrect and effecting your credit rating then you can have it ammended/removed.

How is the information incorrect? She applied for a laser card and was rejected. Nothing incorrect about that.

Chalk, you need to have had your salary mandated to your bank account for at least 6 months usually.

chalk = not she ;)

anyway, i wasnt mentioning that i was rejected for the card but moreso that on applying for a laon later it was held against that i was refused for a laser card,
    i was warning flodis that if he/she is rejected for a card for not having there account long enough it may cause problems in the future,
    ie apply after 5 months - get rejected - cant apply for 6 - 12 months again

ring the card issuing dept and ask what the requirements are for a laser card.
    Anyone has the phone number to the card issuing dept @ AIB?

There is no central "card issuing dept" for Laser cards at AIB afaik. It's most likely to be processed at branch level - therefore you need to speak to someone there

I visited my branch of AIB and got application form for Cheque Guarantee Card with Laser Facility. In the same flyer as application forms for Personal loan and overdraft.

The problem is I dont need the cheque guarantee facility only a "plain" Laser card. Or is it the most basic laser card AIB has to offer?

Most banks Laser cards operate as a cheque guarantee card as well

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

samo wrote:
    Thing is with Laser is that sometimes can take up to 3 days for a payment to be processed
    I've seen it exceed 30 days which can be a bit of a surprise when money disappears when you don't expect it to. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

eth0_ wrote:
    True, but you still have to apply for it. Twisted logic I know, applying for a DEBIT card, but what do you expect, this *is* Ireland after all lol

Well the AIB one is also a cheque gurantee card as is the BOI so its more than just a debit card it's also a card that guarantees 25 cheques at eur130 a pop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

Ive been with boi(bank of ireland) since i was 7(savings account) then when i was 14 i opened a current account and am now 21 and earning good money but have been refused a credit card

• Advertisement

Ive been with boi(bank of ireland) since i was 7(savings account) then when i was 14 i opened a current account and am now 21 and earning good money but have been refused a credit card

So what. It doesn't really matter if you're earning 'good money', what matters is your credit history.

Have you had a bank loan before? Have you bought anything on hire purchase or interest free credit? Do you have a landline phone? All these things count in your favour when it comes to getting a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

Had a credit union loan but long story bank was at fault for it going into the red and have since told me that its been fixed

Had a credit union loan but long story bank was at fault for it going into the red and have since told me that its been fixed

Credit union loans do not appear in your credit rating file at all, so in effect, you have NO credit history.

I would advise you to get something on interest free credit from Dixons etc, even for a few hundred euro, to start yourself a credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

parsi wrote:
    Well the AIB one is also a cheque gurantee card as is the BOI so its more than just a debit card it's also a card that guarantees 25 cheques at eur130 a pop...
    Are they bank actaully obliged to honour them cheques if there is not a red cent in the account?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes sirree - as long as the retailer has noted down the card number and the cheque has been signed in their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

What is the big attraction people have to the laser card, it is cr*p, it only works in Ireland and money comes directly from your current account. Banks won't give you one unless you have been there for 6months etc etc

Much better to get a credit card, works worldwide, and gives you some breathing room on payment.

Granted laser gives you "cashback" and works in lidl/aldi but the solution to that is simply good cash management, always carry what you need in your wallet, EUR 150 does me, and topup at an ATM whenever you go below EUR 100.

Some Laser cards now have Maestro functionality, which means they can be used abroad in outlets which take Maestro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

parsi wrote:
    Yes sirree - as long as the retailer has noted down the card number and the cheque has been signed in their presence.
    Does it also work if a private person takes a gauranteed cheque?

Advertisement