Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking AMD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Check out the range at www.shop4memory.com or www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk. Komplett stink for ram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I fixed up a new system recently with an Abit AV8 3rdEye and 90nm Athlon64 3000. It overclocks to 2.178Ghz (Can go higher but one or 2 games eventually crash so this is highest absolutely stable speed for mine). Watercooled.
    Anyway there are a few more settings you need to watch for.

1. As mentioned FSB. If you get a KT800 Pro or Nforce3+ board it should have an option to lock the FSB ratio. Do this as it will stop your overclocking also effecting the PCI/AGP speeds (big no no), basically it takes those buses out of the equation.
    2. The Hypertransport speed. This is 1Ghz on the 939 systems, basically a 5x multiplier of your FSB by default. This is a major problem when overclocking via the FSB as this component is none too stable overclocked.
    3. Ram speed. While you can choose the ram speed as 333Mhz or 400Mhz in the BIOS it is still dependant on your FSB. Setting it to specifically 333Mhz for example doesn't lock it at that speed it merely sets the ram at 2.5x(FSB/3) (400Mhz = 3x(FSB/3) ...ifnoreing the fact that RAM is rated at 2xFSB anyway (400Mhz ram is 200Mhz running in Double Data Rate mode)). Pedantic and confusing as this may seem it is important, and useful. It will allow you to set a higher FSB than your ram can handle, while keeping the ram itself within safe operating parameters by setting it to really run at 5/6 FSB instead of the full thing (Theoretically giving you a 16% or so greater margin to work with before you start pushing your ram over the edge).

Soooo. What I ended up doing:
    1. Set FSB/AGP/PCI Ratio to Fixed.
    2. Set the ram type to 333Mhz (It is 400Mhz)
    3. Set the hypertransport to 4x instead of 5x multplier.
    4. Increased the FSB to 242Mhz.
    5. Slightly increased the voltages to the CPU/Ram/North & South bridges.

Results:
    Ram speed: 396Mhz
    Hypertransport: 968Mhz
    CPU: 2.178Ghz

This left the Hypertransport and Ram operating very slightly below their rated speeds (to the point of not having any recordable impact on performance) but gave a very nice boost in cpu speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I fixed up a new system recently with an Abit AV8 3rdEye and 90nm Athlon64 3000. It overclocks to 2.178Ghz (Can go higher but one or 2 games eventually crash so this is highest absolutely stable speed for mine). Watercooled.
    Anyway there are a few more settings you need to watch for.

1. As mentioned FSB. If you get a KT800 Pro or Nforce3+ board it should have an option to lock the FSB ratio. Do this as it will stop your overclocking also effecting the PCI/AGP speeds (big no no), basically it takes those buses out of the equation.
    2. The Hypertransport speed. This is 1Ghz on the 939 systems, basically a 5x multiplier of your FSB by default. This is a major problem when overclocking via the FSB as this component is none too stable overclocked.
    3. Ram speed. While you can choose the ram speed as 333Mhz or 400Mhz in the BIOS it is still dependant on your FSB. Setting it to specifically 333Mhz for example doesn't lock it at that speed it merely sets the ram at 2.5x(FSB/3) (400Mhz = 3x(FSB/3) ...ifnoreing the fact that RAM is rated at 2xFSB anyway (400Mhz ram is 200Mhz running in Double Data Rate mode)). Pedantic and confusing as this may seem it is important, and useful. It will allow you to set a higher FSB than your ram can handle, while keeping the ram itself within safe operating parameters by setting it to really run at 5/6 FSB instead of the full thing (Theoretically giving you a 16% or so greater margin to work with before you start pushing your ram over the edge).

Soooo. What I ended up doing:
    1. Set FSB/AGP/PCI Ratio to Fixed.
    2. Set the ram type to 333Mhz (It is 400Mhz)
    3. Set the hypertransport to 4x instead of 5x multplier.
    4. Increased the FSB to 242Mhz.
    5. Slightly increased the voltages to the CPU/Ram/North & South bridges.

Results:
    Ram speed: 396Mhz
    Hypertransport: 968Mhz
    CPU: 2.178Ghz

This left the Hypertransport and Ram operating very slightly below their rated speeds (to the point of not having any recordable impact on performance) but gave a very nice boost in cpu speed.
    Did you not try and see what the max speed of your ram was and just run the fsb near that??

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Hmmm I've have a problem overclocking my 3200 Winchester on an Abit AV8 3rd Eye. I have tried 3 different graphics cards and got the same problem. I get a VPU recovery error and it switchs to software mode or something like and I have to restart my machine. Starting to suspect the AGP lock is not working.

For the life of my I can't find the hypertranport mutiplayer on that board either.
    Might update the bios to 1.7 see if thaat helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

gline wrote:
    Did you not try and see what the max speed of your ram was and just run the fsb near that??

It topped out around 220 or so. This way I got max. cpu speed with just a loss of 2Mhz ram speed. Also the north/south bridges have to be taken into account also and there seems to be no way to step their ratios down.

Azza on some BIOS' it's called "LDT Bus Frequency" and it is the most likely problem you're having. Here's a better idea of where to look http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MTk5NTk2MG53NE54WW54Q3JfM18yMF9sLmdpZg==

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Azza wrote:
    Hmmm I've have a problem overclocking my 3200 Winchester on an Abit AV8 3rd Eye. I have tried 3 different graphics cards and got the same problem. I get a VPU recovery error and it switchs to software mode or something like and I have to restart my machine. Starting to suspect the AGP lock is not working.

For the life of my I can't find the hypertranport mutiplayer on that board either.
    Might update the bios to 1.7 see if thaat helps.
    What hapens if u just turn off VPU recover??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrpsychology

Hello, I have a question, in regards to the overclock of the abit av8- 3rd eye, i have a 3200+ winchester. Now, i am not looking for a huge overclock by no means. But, whta settings would i have to have to run it at 2.2ghz and would i be able to keep it that way and not really notice a big difference when it comes to life span? I am not an avid gamer or anything. I have the stock heatsink fan. I have the 4 sticks of kingston ram pc3200. It ran good at 215/66/33 but got blue screen and restart on 220/66/33. I am running it now at 206/66/33.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

First off, I have to play my card oldposts.jpg

Second off -- if you want to provide us with a breakdown of the settings in the bios then we could possibly guide you through them but I am not familiar with the board so wouldn't have a clue where to start.

google it :p

set the ram to 2.75Vdimm, 1.55Vcore on the cpu, agp frequency to 67mhz and drop the ram timings to 3-4-10-4 and push the htt some more. When it becomes unstable, drop it back a little and attempt to tighten your ram timings one by one to improve performance, blend in a mixer and serve hot 'n' toasty!

Advertisement