Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting stats about Ireland

• 04-01-2005 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

All taken from Nationmaster.

Just wanted to pull a few interesing ones from the list below. I love lists... :)

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ei/Lifestyle

1st of 17 countries for Beer Consumption - no surprises there

18th of 18 for coffee consumption - could have fooled me with the number of coffee shops open in Dublin city

6th of 26 for Canabbis use - all boards users - controversial...

2nd of 17 in confidence in Church institutions - hmmm, when was this survey done? (think it was 1999 - plenty of scandal then)

1st of 17 in confidence in the Civil service

14th of 17 in confidence in Legal system

17th of 18 in fruit juice consumption - COME ON - HIT ZUMO tomorrow - Buy more Sqeez - buy less BEER

3rd of 50 in Happiness Level (happiness level of Very Happy) - aren't we the smug little nation all the same - all p1ssed though with all the beer - ha ha

17th of 17 in stating "not proud of their nationality"

2nd of 17 in stating "very proud of their nationality" - OLE OLE OLE OLE

13 out of 17 in stating "will fight for country" - HUH??? where's the fighting Irish spirit?

5th of 16 thinking having homosexuals for neighbours is undesirable.

16th of 16 thinking having heavy drinkers for neighbours is undesirable. No surprise their either because we're all heavy drinkers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The fighting Irish spirit is in Notre Dame tbh - I believe we like our neutrality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Undesirable neighbours - Criminal record holders: 52% [2nd of 16]

hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

We've got the highest percentage of people who describe their political orientation as far-right, according to this: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/lif_pol_ori_far_rig

Where are all these Irish far-right paties then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

simu wrote:
    We've got the highest percentage of people who describe their political orientation as far-right, according to this: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/lif_pol_ori_far_rig

Where are all these Irish far-right paties then???

I would say its pretty accurate? Are you just thinking George Bush followers? 20 years ago, you couldn't buy condoms in Ireland. 10 Years ago it was illegal to get divorced. Ireland is the only country in the west I'm aware of that doesn't allow abortion or recognise common-law marriage. There is no same sex status for homosexuals, virtually no ethnic population until recently, and probably the highest % of people of the same religion in the western world. I would say its pretty right wing by comparison.

boo4842 wrote:
    I would say its pretty accurate? Are you just thinking George Bush followers? 20 years ago, you couldn't buy condoms in Ireland. 10 Years ago it was illegal to get divorced. Ireland is the only country in the west I'm aware of that doesn't allow abortion or recognise common-law marriage. There is no same sex status for homosexuals, virtually no ethnic population until recently, and probably the highest % of people of the same religion in the western world. I would say its pretty right wing by comparison.

But yet there are no influential right-wing parties in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

the pds anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

Kingsize wrote:
    the pds anyone?

Too right! You beat me to that one ;)

D'oh! I meant to say far-right. I don't think the PDs have gotten to that point just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-B/eco_gov_spe_in_res_and_dev

Our low spending on education is a worrying statistic.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, the Nigerians are happier than us... I wonder why ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

2nd of 17 in stating "very proud of their nationality"

I actually wouldn't be proud of my nationality. I don't really agree with being proud of ones nationality anyway- not as if you had to do anything to become your nationality. But ours especially, like what has ireland got to be proud of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

leprechauns?
    no other country has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

alleepally wrote:
    5th of 16 thinking having homosexuals for neighbours is undesirable.
    yeah!
    damn gays and their non-stop sex parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

boo4842 wrote:
    virtually no ethnic population until recently

no ethnic population? did the Travellers only arrive in the last couple of years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

simu wrote:

Fianna Fail perhaps? They're not far right in the same sense as Hitler, but they're fairly far right and conservative by European standards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-B/eco_gov_spe_in_res_and_dev

Our low spending on education is a worrying statistic.

Yeah - but i think it is generally spent quite well. Definitely more money is needed for university research and a lot of the primary and secondary schools could do with being a good renovation - but the teachers are generally excellent, the curriculum's sensible - but more resources certainly couldn't hurt. Spend less on health and more on education IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

That beer thing doesn't seem right. The czech republic doesn't even feature in the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Cactus Col wrote:
    no ethnic population? did the Travellers only arrive in the last couple of years?

Yes, Ireland was very multicultural. White, christian, english speaking, roman catholic people that live in houses AND white, christian, english speaking, roman catholic people that live in caravans :rolleyes:

I know travellers can be considered their own group, but I was talking in relation to other countries, dyversity in Ireland was a paddy with an english accent that moved home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

simu wrote:

It's just the individual's perception. You might consider FF far-right the way you might consider bacon and cabbage haute cuisine if you've no point of reference. Maybe.

Or maybe:
    "What are your poilitcal convictions?"
    "Ah fairly sound"
    "Would you say they were right?"
    "Oh very right! Why would I be convinced otherwise?"

It's just the individual's perception. You might consider FF far-right the way you might consider bacon and cabbage haute cuisine if you've no point of reference. Maybe.

Or maybe:
    "What are your poilitcal convictions?"
    "Ah fairly sound"
    "Would you say they were right?"
    "Oh very right! Why would I be convinced otherwise?"

Maybe it's good that people here don't yet know what the true far-right is like.
    boo4842 wrote:
    Yes, Ireland was very multicultural. White, christian, english speaking, roman catholic people that live in houses AND white, christian, english speaking, roman catholic people that live in caravans

I know travellers can be considered their own group, but I was talking in relation to other countries, dyversity in Ireland was a paddy with an english accent that moved home.

There was the odd Irish speaker and Protestant too, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

alleepally wrote:
    1st of 17 in confidence in the Civil service

This is a joke, right? Right? RIGHT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

boo4842 wrote:
    Of course we recognise common law marraiges.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think Britain doesn't recognise them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"I don't think the PDs have gotten to that point just yet."

maybe or maybe not ? people usually dont realise until its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

boo4842 wrote:

Travellers are an ethnic group.

I would have thought that the reason Ireland has not being particularily diverse is that until recently (the last 15 years or so) nobody has wanted to come here.

But if you're looking for proof as to how right wing we are, you just need to go back to the last referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I was of the understanding that the Czech Republic consumed more beer per person than Ireland & consumed more alcoholic units than we did?????? :confused:

::: ven0mous :::

Advertisement