Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German summer

Options
  • 04-01-2005 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Quick question - I spent last summer on J1 in the states but this summer coming I want to work in Germany and spend some time there. Does anyone know of any J1-esque schemes that I can do this thru? Where would I find the jobs etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

What year are you in and what course do you study?

Are you looking just to work there in like a shop? Or are you looking for an internship of sorts? Hows your german?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't think there are any schemes for Europe like the J1. I think being a common market all you can do is organise a place to live and look for a job when you get there.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Hows your german?

If you're going to a city your German doesn't have to be great. Mine is terrible but I got around Berlin ok. If you're going to Berlin check out some of the squats, some of them do free German lessons (legit and very good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

ApeXaviour wrote:
    What year are you in and what course do you study?

Are you looking just to work there in like a shop? Or are you looking for an internship of sorts? Hows your german?

Questions, questions :D
    Ok, 3rd year, Psychology.
    Any work will do but an internship would be handy. My german, although not used regularly, is actually ok. I could get by.
    Checked out the college careers website but (when its working) there's nothing much on it for germany. Silly american kid camp positions there are plenty of though.
    I'd just love to spend a summer there. I was thinking of emailing some german companies about summer work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

3rd year non-technical degree..

AIESEC is probably your best bet.. I recommend you give them an email. I went to their talk (but they don't really do technical based jobs, the leave that to IAESTE {frickin acronyms}). I'm pretty sure they can give you what you want..
    http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~aiesec/student/what.html
    Email them n anyhow..

<smartarse>The reason there is no german J1 is cos you don't need a visa to go there</smartarse>

I think SOCRATES and LEONARDO also cater for this sorta thing but I'm not sure. If AIESEC can't sort you out just go to the careers advisory service. They helped me no end with my summer internship even though there was no info about it on their website. Yes.. I think quite possibly they were the most helpful people I've ever met!

• Advertisement

Evilution wrote:
    3rd year, Psychology.

OFF TOPIC: Were you in my fMRI class with Garavan?

Evilution wrote:
    Ok, 3rd year, Psychology.
    Any work will do but an internship would be handy. My german, although not used regularly, is actually ok. I could get by.

What you should do is have a chat with your lecturers. They've been around the block, they should have contacts all over the place. Failing that, wander up to the Department of Germanic Studies...

http://www.tcd.ie/Germanic_Studies/htm/undergraduatestudy/undergraduate.htm

They seem to deal with people from all over college so chances are they'd know people who know people who...

John2 wrote:
    OFF TOPIC: Were you in my fMRI class with Garavan?

Dunno. When?

ApeXaviour wrote:
    <smartarse>The reason there is no german J1 is cos you don't need a visa to go there</smartarse>

Yeah yeah, bite me
    :D
    I was only making the example.

Evilution wrote:
    Dunno. When?

Every week of last term. Think it was an optional course for you psychologists

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Every week of last term. Think it was an optional course for you psychologists

Nah, then no fMRI for me. Last time I had Hugh was last year for Behavioural Neuroscience. What other options are you doing?

I do neuroscience so I've no options, we had to do that fMRI course and then we do two first year psychology courses (intro to psych and some other course with Roche). I think we have another psychology module next term but I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to check.

John2 wrote:
    I do neuroscience so I've no options, we had to do that fMRI course and then we do two first year psychology courses (intro to psych and some other course with Roche). I think we have another psychology module next term but I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to check.

Are you in 2nd year TSM?

No, third year science

John2 wrote:
    No, third year science

Aha, that'd explain it. Did you take fMRI as your broad curriculum?

No it's a compulsory part of my course, as I said earlier I'm doing neuroscience.

Advertisement