Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with broken x800xt pci-e

Options
  • 04-01-2005 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

my graphics card has decided to go belly up :mad: .. i think it is a heat problem because heres what happened.... i took it out of my main rig and but it into another system everything was fine then i placed a new cooler block on and put it back to the main system and then the boot up screen shows up and its running through the start up srceen ... i can see the cpu and harddrives and so on... and then 5 or 6 seconds later the screen goes into this grey backround and large black and green squares you can make out that its still the boot srceen the sqaures are about an inch in size and are flying sideways across the panel
    it reminds of the way your srceen goes when you overclock it with the likes of ati-tool... but worse alot worse ...so i put the old hsf that came with it back on and its still the same ....its a pci-e card ....the funny thing is i havnt been overclocking it at all for months....any help here would be great ...and does anyone know what way the warrenenties work on these i got it in peats ...its a shapphine X800XT PCI-E....anyhelp would be great thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I suppose if you haven't made any mods to the card such as putting on a faster card's bios (an X850xt bios where would you get that?), and you haven't really been pushing the card through software overclocking or whatever you can have a clear conscience in just putting the original hsf back on it an returning to Peats as faulty.
    It does sound heat related. Though it may also be something which happens (res change for example) at the Windows loading up stage that is making it go all screwy. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you paused it during the POST stage like when it's detecting the hard drives or boot from a floppy drive (i know you probably don't have one)and see if it still goes bananas when you stay away from the Windows hard drive bootup.
    Anyway I guess it'll be after the honeymoon before you know. Good luck with married life dub. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i know its only about 4 months old ....i wonder would it take long for this to go through peats and then to shapphire...im planning on getting rid of it and replacing it with two 6800 gts on sli ...but i was hoping it would pay towards the new cards ...and now this ....
    for some reason in the back of my head i keep thinking it may be a fault in the power running through the card ...dont ask why as all the signs point to a heat problem ...im using a antec neo psu which has the psu slot for the pci-e cable the system didnt seem to boot up the first time i put it all back together and when i push the cables into the psu harder it started then???????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Should be no problem with RMA'in, if there is no physical damage to the card you will be fine, (i told you of my x800 rma, athlon xp HSF on x800, lol), even if there is damge should be able to get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

dubdvd wrote:
    i took it out of my main rig and put it into another system everything was fine then i placed a new cooler block on and put it back to the main system and then the boot up screen shows up and its running through the start up srceen ... i can see the cpu and harddrives and so on... and then 5 or 6 seconds later the screen goes into this grey backround and large black and green squares you can make out that its still the boot srceen the sqaures are about an inch in size and are flying sideways across the panel

You said it worked fine on another system? Would'nt that suggest that the rig your trying to use it on be faulty somewhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement