Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you actually wait?

Options
  • 04-01-2005 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Ok, im already just thinking in absolute joy, of the first day after the leaving cert. And how it will ALL be over. Basically those 12 years of preparation will be complete and we will basically be finished school forever.mmmmmmmm.That alone seems to motivate me enough to get studying.Walking out of the last exam knowing that you've done well and your FREE for the whole FCUKING rest of the summer (and 1st or 2nd year of college lets be honest).It almost makes me look foward to the whole test malarky.

[/blabbing]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I can't wait, repeating really, really sucks.
    I'd sit the exams here and now if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back when I was doing the LC, the first day after the exams was my 18th birthday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

That day's the best day you'll have in 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

TimAy wrote:
    Ok, im already just thinking in absolute joy, of the first day after the leaving cert. And how it will ALL be over. Basically those 12 years of preparation will be complete and we will basically be finished school forever.mmmmmmmm.That alone seems to motivate me enough to get studying.Walking out of the last exam knowing that you've done well and your FREE for the whole FCUKING rest of the summer (and 1st or 2nd year of college lets be honest).It almost makes me look foward to the whole test malarky.

[/blabbing]

Keep on thinking about that day when it all ends because the weight that will come off your shoulders will be one of the greatest feelings you will ever have. But keep on working hard over the next few months because I will gaurantee you if get good results and your chosen course it will be even a greater feeling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Nope can't wait, I really can't I'm really getting fed up of doing all the work so as to get enough points for college. That's all the bloody Leaving Cert is about the points!!! I think they should change it so that the people chosen for the courses should be based on the students talent in the area that they intend to pursue. Some of the hard courses have very little points necessary, and vice versa it just doesn't balance out. Anyway I'm babbling, but it really pisses me off the whole points system and all.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

*Angel* wrote:
    Nope can't wait, I really can't I'm really getting fed up of doing all the work so as to get enough points for college. That's all the bloody Leaving Cert is about the points!!! I think they should change it so that the people chosen for the courses should be based on the students talent in the area that they intend to pursue. Some of the hard courses have very little points necessary, and vice versa it just doesn't balance out. Anyway I'm babbling, but it really pisses me off the whole points system and all.... :mad:
    I disagree. How would that work? You're still going to have to do exams and compete against everyone doing the exam in the country, so that would be basically the same as it is now.

However, having done the LC last year, I think the best system would be that you'd get more points for doing subjects that are relevant to the course you want to do. For example, you would like to do Engineering, then Maths, applied maths, tech drawing, physics and other LC subjects that are relevant to Engineering would get you more points than the irrelevant subject.

eg you want to do Engineering and you do English, Irish, Maths, Applied Maths, Physics and Biology. Biology, English and Irish are irrelevant to Engineering so you only get 50 points each for them. While Maths, A. Maths and Physics are relevant and you get 150 points each for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yeah good idea, that's kinda what I meant, I like your idea it would make so much more sense than what we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

*Angel* wrote:

I pretty much agree with everything you said there but at the end of the day there is no ideal system and the current points system is the only relatively fair way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Demeant0r wrote:
    However, having done the LC last year, I think the best system would be that you'd get more points for doing subjects that are relevant to the course you want to do. For example, you would like to do Engineering, then Maths, applied maths, tech drawing, physics and other LC subjects that are relevant to Engineering would get you more points than the irrelevant subject.

eg you want to do Engineering and you do English, Irish, Maths, Applied Maths, Physics and Biology. Biology, English and Irish are irrelevant to Engineering so you only get 50 points each for them. While Maths, A. Maths and Physics are relevant and you get 150 points each for them.

I strongly disagree with that. It's not very common to find someone who's 100% sure of the direction of their life when they're picking their LC subjects in 3rd/4th year. (At what, 15-17? And you want people to plan their lives at that stage?)
    For me, anyway, I was completely set on doing Computer Apps until around November of 6th year. Looking back now, I really wonder wtf I was thinking, since now I'm in something that's making me a lot happier than CA ever would have made me.

Advertisement