Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Virago 125 exhaust

Options
  • 04-01-2005 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I have a yamaha virago vx125 with a custom exhaust that gives it that "BIG BIKE" sound. While it sounds great, it is loud, really loud. I tried shops for mufflers or whatever to quieten it but no lock. Does anybody know where i might get a standard exhaust, preferably second hand?
    Thank
    SM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Breakers yards?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Half of the exhaust on those bikes is fake if i remember correctly , so order the pipe you need from either a uk stockist or yamaha .or do you need the entire pipe ??

you could use a dealership in dublin but the majority tend to be a rip off. trya google for uk stockists or look through the buy and sell.

anyway , What did you do with your original exhaust ?

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Two breakers worth a try:
    Francis St breakers city centre 01-4532060
    or Premier MC Inchicore 01-4531138

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

More bike breakers

Gorey Bike Breakers
    Clonattin rd, Gorey
    (055) 20911

City Spares
    98 Francis st, 8
    (01) 4532060
    Half of the exhaust on those bikes is fake if i remember correctly , so order the pipe you need from either a uk stockist or yamaha .or do you need the entire pipe ??
    the virago is a v-twin, i dont think it has any fake exhausts, the suzuki marauder is a single cylinder but has a 2-1 exhaust header, maybe thats what you're thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No he's right, there's 2 exhausts on the Virago 125, and the uppermost one is just for show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

really? i hate that style over functionality crap,but i cant figure out where the other cylinders exhaust gases go from looking at this pic, does it join with the bottom one somewhere?
    XV_125_Virago.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im not sure either
    i have a virago 125 with two exhausts
    when the engine is running you can feel exhaust from both
    they dont appear joined anywhere and are indivdually connected to a 2 cylinder engine afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Yeah pretty sure there is 2 exhausts. Suppose the breaker yards would be the best. Shops would probably rip me off.
    Thanks
    SM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

tis a vtwin, as can be seen one exhaust exits from each cyliner, thus both are real :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

hehe... there is only one pipe that goes into the engin directly on a Virago. Thats the frunt pipe or bottem one. The top one connects into a kind of tank just in under the rear of the engin. If you look, there is a small hose connecting the rear cylinder to the "tank"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

sutty is correct, its the rear chrome downtube thats fake, not the exhaust can itself. There is a small diameter pipe running from the rear cylinder to the collector box underneath where the two exhaust cans come from.

As for a new exhaust, I'd put an ad in the B&S, looking for a swop. I'm sure TONS of youngfellas would like a "custom" exhuast on their Virago (I sure did many years ago).

thats right , a hose connects into the real exhaust to vent.

Also afaik the right hand side chrome cone is also just for style.the other is for a air filter.

I doubt you'd have trouble doing a swap for a custom pipe, but I'd say if it's really really loud it could get difficult , is there a decible rating on it ?? anyway ,loud pipes saves lives imo.

loved my virago when I had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i never looked that closely at one of them b4 but v-twins always have twin exits, one from each cylinder, that it doesnt is just odd
    fake exhaust
    thats really gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Picture%200089.jpg

thats a picture of my one.
    can somebody draw an arrow pointing at where the fake bits are etc so i can look at it after work

Its the shiny tube on the left, looks like it comes from the rear cylinder and attaches to the upper exhaust but its only there for show. If you look behind it where it bolts to the top you'll see a brass colored (actually stainless steel but discolored from heat) tube about the diameter of a 2 euro coin and thats the real exhaust.

Also the egg shaped cover on the upper right is pretty hollow, only a token electrical connection lives there if memory serves. There for looks more than anything else, the matching one on the LHS of the virago is the air filter. (although now I think about it, it could be the other way around).

quote : i never looked that closely at one of them b4 but v-twins always have twin exits, one from each cylinder, that it doesnt is just odd

It does have twin exits from the engine block, it just doesn't have twin Exhaust . Eventually (further down the pipe) the upper exhaust tube pipes into the lower one.

The last 1/3 of the upper exhaust pipe is fake (the bit along the back wheel).and the pipe connecting the two is obvious when up close , you will see it.

Haket is right about the egg domes, one is an air filter the other is pretty vacant :)

Hmmm I dont believe the last section of the exhaust is fake, its does produce exhaust gasses and gets hot like the lower one, its the rear chrome downtube that there for cosmetics. The upper "muffler" is welded to the lower and hence the Virago has a 2-1-2 exhaust.

Advertisement